Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Socks....what to do with them >

Socks....what to do with them

Socks....what to do with them

Old 12-23-2010, 10:42 PM

The "new" thing is to wear them mismatched. My daughter started this trend at her school because she was too lazy to find the match now it is a hit!! :)
Old 12-23-2010, 10:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by marknfran
Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I would like to know where the mate goes. I think there are sock abductors that come in the middle of the night and take them. I am also curious to hear what to do with them.
A lot of mine go in the garbage: darling hubby. He will actually dust with one and then toss it into the garbage thereby leaving an orphan.
Darn! I don't have anyone I can blame.
I get a kick out of your DH. My late husband would mend his socks until they fell apart. I started to sneak them in the trash when he was napping.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
The "new" thing is to wear them mismatched. My daughter started this trend at her school because she was too lazy to find the match now it is a hit!! :)
I don't think I am quite ready for this. I once wore two different shoes to town, same style-one black one dark brown. I was so embarrassed. I started looking at them in the bathroom where there is a lot more light.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:40 AM

This may sound harsh, spread then all sock in the house all over the carpet and begin matching, for some reason I'll find one here or there, can make a game of it. May then find a few more pair you didn't see before. Then run don't walk to the dumpster, do this the night before pickup. (just my opinion kinda gross to wear someone elses socks)
Then put on your gift list new socks, specific style and color. add the upc, so mixing and matching won't be such a hard to choose.
This does remind me of sock wars we had when younger, Mom finally put initals on the toe section. :)
Old 12-24-2010, 12:49 AM
Administrator

stuff them with batting and fabric scraps to use as pincushions. :-)
Old 12-24-2010, 12:51 AM
Power Poster

Their donation is something I would do, but everything that goes in the mail requires postage.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:01 AM
Power Poster

saw a book at joannes called...i think,... 'crazy sock creatures'
it was sure cute! had dozens of different (creatures) made out of orphan socks... there are lots of projects...remember sock monkeys?
i have a friend who makes really simple rice bags...she fills long athletic socks with rice and ties the end closed...cotton socks only...they work great for draping around the neck. try a search of 'sock-crafts'
lots of things to do with them :thumbup:
Old 12-24-2010, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

I saw that book too! Lots of cute ones!
Old 12-24-2010, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I would like to know where the mate goes. I think there are sock abductors that come in the middle of the night and take them. I am also curious to hear what to do with them.
Ray Stevens has a whole song about missing socks.

I usually cut the toe off then cut them down the back and use them for rags. That way the least worn part (the center of the front) is in the middle of the rag. They would be cute cut all the way in half (down the back and up the front) then appliqued onto a quilt as a new "pair". If there's a hole just stitch around it and let the back fabric show through.

BTW, it takes two socks to make a sock monkey but I suppose they could be different.

Check out this website. There's all kinds of animals made from socks, gloves, etc.

http://happyhybridsco.com/

The art teacher at our school and her mother have come up with this.

FREE Quilting Newsletter