Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Someone here wanted to know what a darning egg is >

Someone here wanted to know what a darning egg is

Someone here wanted to know what a darning egg is

Old 03-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by wvdek
Oh, I have my Grams' here in the sewing box. I only darn my woolen socks when the heels wear down. I gave up on the cotton socks a long time ago. My "egg's" aren't as fancy as yours. No handle or prettiness to them, but very functional just the same. Grams dried gourd's of some kind. You can still hear the seeds inside rattle. Darn things must be over 60 - 100 years old. The smaller ones are for children's socks.
I love them. Think I'll put gourds in the garden this year. I remember being fascinated with them as a teenager. See how many uses there are for them!!!
Old 03-27-2011, 09:58 AM

I inherited my mom's. Used to sit and watch her mend socks with it - but I never learned how. (easier to buy a new pair)
Old 03-27-2011, 11:28 AM

Now I use a large plastic Easter Egg that I've taped so it doesn't open easily. I use it rarely, but have a pair of Ragg socks, very thick wool, that I wore back packing on my honeymoon. All other pairs have been tossed, totally worn out, but this is still wearable for house shoes. I think I'll darn them and then sew them to a thick piece of felt for soles.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

Neat egg!!
Old 03-27-2011, 11:48 AM

I have a darning egg, that belonged to my grandmother, it is made of blown glass. It seems to be very sturdy. My mother attended a Catholic boarding school during the depression years. Darning socks was a form of revenue for the school. As a result of the amount she did, as a student, she had no love of darning socks. She did however, do beautiful work, basket weave, that was almost invisible. It would be interesting to know how much they charged.

I too, remember the basket that was kept in our living room, socks to be darned, buttons to sew on, collars to be turned etc. It was a given that ladies and older girls did not "lounge and visit" in the living room before passing by that basket and picking up a project. I still cannot sit down and relax without some sort of "busy work" in my hands. It drives my husband crazy. Thank goodness for quilting.