Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Something to Really Think Hard About.....

I don't watch those kind of movies or war movies. can't do anything in case of the bomb even doing the duck and cover at school was just to do as we were told by the teachers but after seeing the films us kids figured out that wasn't going to protect us. as for the war movies i can't handle them. I have seem the after effects that war does to the average people. not just the physical but the emotional part of it that stays with them. my step mom would dive under the table screaming for everyone to get down when to would hear the old bi-planes go over head. she would also wake up screaming sometime especially after seeing something like dr. Zavigo(sp?) she lost 3 brothers 2 in russia and 1 in italy. she was also the only servivor from the group of girls before escaping to italy, then france. and the others that were effected by the same kind of cancer I believe was because of the bombs from her town. including her and sister amoung them. the list can go on and on , i'm sure we probally all know people in our families and friends that have had to deal with the ugly side of life in one way or another. they are the strong.

Blog Entries
    I am one of the Duck and Cover generation. We were told it would protect us from flying glass of the windows. We also had drills to go into the hallway and lean against wall, left arm for head to lean against wall, right arm to cover head to prevent head injury from flying objects. I don't think we would have been protected in either situation, but it certainly made us aware of potential danger. Just as the WWll blackouts that I remember as a preschooler.

It is past my realm of comprehension that anyone could believe they could actually survive anything like that. Keeping canned goods and all have expiration dates on them and maybe you would get sick and die from eating them.
    A very good bet that all that would be destroyed also.
    I don't waste my time thinking about that stuff and believe we are not in charge of our destiny.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

It is past my realm of comprehension that anyone could believe they could actually survive anything like that. Keeping canned goods and all have expiration dates on them and maybe you would get sick and die from eating them.
    A very good bet that all that would be destroyed also.
    I don't waste my time thinking about that stuff and believe we are not in charge of our destiny.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dd View Post
    Don't think I would want to survive. Rather be in the first to go group.
    I'm with you on that!

I have always prepared my home for emergencies. Hard to survive a direct hit by a tornado or a nuclear bomb, but other than that, I try to have a full pantry and know how to cook without the microwave. During a storm one year when we did not have power for over a week, I amazed my children (and myself) by cooking everything over a fireplace fire. We had fresh bread and biscuits, stew, pudding, chicken, as well as popcorn and other treats. My kids referred to that "adventure" as the "Little house on the prairie winter." We also made a sled out of a cardboard box and slid down the hill in our back pasture. Yee haw!

On the subject though, I would rather go in the first wave. I have done disaster drills with my local medical corps and I don't think I want to be there for the gore and chaos.

Blog Entries
    Too scary, i am not sure i want to see it either, to much bad in the world now.
    Mary

Certainly is possible in this day of travel.
    katigirl

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2