Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Son Leaving for Korea - Requests Shipping & Care Package Tips >

Son Leaving for Korea - Requests Shipping & Care Package Tips

Son Leaving for Korea - Requests Shipping & Care Package Tips

Old 08-19-2009, 06:50 PM

He is basically going to Korea because there are no decent jobs here. He spent 4 years in college and now has loans to pay and this is the best opportunity he has found. He will spend a year in Korea teaching kids English. He minored in International Developement and this will help hiim build his resume. He needs the international experience.
Judy
Old 08-19-2009, 07:56 PM

Hi, when I send things to my daughter who is overseas in the navy, I send things she likes. Candy( not chocolate), puzzle books, photos, lotions, bath soaps, and joke things to remind her of us at home. Like if someone has a joke in the family, ours is giraffes, I send her something to do with them. And each holiday, the care package is centered around it. Like Easter, I sent a basket (collapsible) of candy. I will be sending a trick or treat bag In Oct. I sent a stocking with candy for Christmas, including a token special item. I usually include packaged candy, cause she opens it when other are around and she can share. I also send stationary to remind her to write, and if there over the holidays, I sent all the family addresses and cards for her to send back here to family. This is just a few ideas, hope they help, and don't worry, he will be ok!!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 09:30 PM

He will learn more in a year abroad than he learned all through college. Our daughter went to England the summer between her junior and senior year in college.....didn't have a job, didn't know a soul and went alone. In 3 days, she had acquired a job in a deli in Glasgow, Scotland...over the phone....from an ad on the bulletin board in the youth hostel. She sublet a flat and worked 5 days a week in the deli and by 4 pm every Friday, she was on a plane, ferry, train or bus exploring all parts of northern Europe.

After graduation, she got a great job with the Marriott Corp., where she worked until 2 yrs. ago. In 2002, she went to Ecuador on a short term mission and came back knowing that was what she wanted to do for the rest of her life. Her father and I were totally against it, but it materialized. She left a great job to take one that pays a fraction of what she was making and lives in southern Siberia (part of the old Soviet Union).

Her original mission was to teach English to adults in a small business school, but during the course of the first year when she was immersing herself in the culture and learning the Russian language, she began visiting one of the orphanages. Now she is teaching English at a halfway house where a select few of the orphan girls get to go when they have to leave the orphanage after 9th grade. At the halfway house, they continue their studies in high school and university. The majority is not so fortunate, because they end up on the streets where the statistics for suicide, drugs and prostitution are overwhelming.

She goes to the orphanage several times a week and throws a monthly birthday party for all the kids who had birthdays in that month.....there are 300+/- kids total, so that averages 25 kids a month who had birthdays.

I could go on and on about how your son will be fine and have a positive impact on his students in Korea....and the experience for him will be one he could never get in school. Email and SKYPE are great communication tools to keep in touch. My husband and I visited Victoria in April this year and I saw for myself that she is just fine and doing something worthwhile.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:21 AM

How awesome is that? Teaching English! Wonderful.

On the Go, sounds like your daughter made all the right choices, too.

Just a mother's heart worries over so many things......

:cry: