Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: south for winter

Blog Entries

south for winter

Just wondered if any of you have went to florida for the winter. DH and I are going for three months and stay in a park model along with our two dogs. What kind of quilting stuff do you take for a trip like this. Won't have a lot of room in suv to take much with the dogs going? Kind of nervous about going and not knowing anyone.Thank you so much in advance for any replys.

Power Poster
    maybe take some hand sewing or crochet or knitting.have a safe trip!!!
    QUILTNMO

Take your sewing machine, and accessories and shop for fabric to make while there. Of course you can only do one project at a time or you will have "stash." Enjoy your trip.

Do you like applique? When my hubby and I lived on our boat I did that and cross stitch. Hope you have a good time!

Blog Entries
    I'd have to have my sewing machine if I had it in my lap.LOL And some material,all the stuff I would need in a big fabric bag or box. Dogs would have to put up with the crowding. You do!

we go to Alabama for the winter (cheaper than FL) and take a small sewing machine and lots of scraps to cut. I am hoping to make a couple of tops for quilts for the GKs.

I love cold, snowy weather. If I went anywhere it would be to a colder area. Hot places are the last place I would want to go. I know My Daughter thinks I'm losing 'it'. I have always thought this way.
    Have a safe trip and enjoy. Make sure you take enough hobby things to last.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I lived in a rv in Az one winter and found that I was so busy taking classess that the park offered going to dances special supper get togethers and ect I did not have a lot of time for sewing and beading made a lot of winter friends

I go to Florida several times a year for weeks at a time to help care for my aging (in their late 80's) parents. During those visits, I have, at my disposal, my mom's sewing machine set up in the spare bedroom. I bring projects with me to work on during the quiet times.

What part of Florida?

If you are staying in a park, they may have a quilt group which is always fun. we go to TExas & our group meets once a week, people from all over US + Canada so you get lots of ideas & patterns. I take my machine in my wheeled tote which has room for machine accessories, fabric & some supplies. Buy fabric there but I do pack some fabric in bags & stuff around things when we pack. Enjoy your winter.

Quote Originally Posted by linda701 View Post
    Just wondered if any of you have went to florida for the winter. DH and I are going for three months and stay in a park model along with our two dogs. What kind of quilting stuff do you take for a trip like this. Won't have a lot of room in suv to take much with the dogs going? Kind of nervous about going and not knowing anyone.Thank you so much in advance for any replys.
    I went to Sun N Fun in Sarasota for years, many in our motor home, and the last 2 years we stayed in a park model. Loved it! I would take my sewing machine. Also before we left Michigan, I made up a kit of something I wanted to make. Last year it was a double irish chain for a double bed. I did get the top finished, and quilted it when we came home in April. The Park has so many groups to join, that we were busy nearly every day. There are 2 quilting groups that I went to. Everything is so organized, and each group has projects to do each week. Where are you going in FL? Due to health issues we will not go this year....sigh..

I know you are going to have a really nice winter! In Sarasota it would get cold in January, so I took a warm jacket. I will be thinking of you...please keep us posted as to what you do there, and where you are, ok?
    Last edited by Cottage Dee; 11-04-2013 at 05:18 AM.
    Deanna in SE Michigan

Blog Entries
    I would UPS a lot of items I didn't have room to bring in the vehicle.
    Got fabric?

We go to Tucson for the winter. Our park has a great group of ladies that meet once a week for quilting. Check the event calendar at your park. I always take my sewing machine and several projects that I precut into kits before we leave. If I complete those projects, then it is time to shop!!! Also check out the local quilt shops in your area they may offer free/open sewing dates. So much fun to meet and create with other quilters.

We have a condo in Naples Florida that we go to in the winter. This year we are leaving here on November 23 and will stay till sometime in April. Definitely take a sewing machine if you can. Pick projects now that you want to work on while there. Have your quilting notions, fabric and anything else you need to have in a bin so it is all in one place for you. Where in Florida will you be? I have been in WV twice now, Charleston, this last Spring it was beautiful there. Like the previous poster said, perhaps you could make up some kits to take and work on.
    Sandra

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    Dresden plates can be sewn by hand and sewn by hand onto the block. crochet/knit, hexies or applique. and if if you are outside the rv at mealtime or shower time there are lots of folks grilling and walking to and from. you'll get to know lots o folks! enjoy!
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

If you have time, pick out a project or two and precut. I would take my machine, sewing accessories (ripper, pins, etc.) rotary cutter, small mat and the precut projects with the patterns.

Where in FL? We are 70 miles N of Tampa on W coast. My SIL traveled in trailer for many years and found quilters where ever they landed, which was all over the country at one time or another. My brother took her to quilt shops no matter where they were, she bought what she needed for what she was working on as she went. Had to in the trailer.

I am also one of those "snowbirds" heading for South Florida for approx. 4 months. We are leaving in a couple of weeks. Fortunately I have an understanding husband that wants me to take my Janome 11000. I bought a large tool chest for all my sewing and quilting tools which works well. I am just finishing a queen size quilt so I want to take it for finishing. Good idea to buy your material there. Don't be nervous about not knowing anyone. Most people are very friendly. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by linda701 View Post
    lots of quilting groups in Florida so you shouldn't have any trouble finding friends with which to quit and chat. Google Florida guild guilds.

We arrived in the north Naples area from Ontario last Wed. Own a double wide trailer in a park and belong to local quilting / sewing group that also does charity quilts for local kids. Been coming 3o winters and love this lifestyle.
    Suggest you pack basics and enough fabric for a project also a machine if you have one to travel. Do you know anyone in the park that would know if there is a sewing group as these women will gladly share ? I leave lots of stuff here so have enough to share if you were in my area but I bring some things every yr --like my Brother Innovis 1500 D sew/embroidery machine. If you are a reg sewing lady bring things or you will be sorry even though we have fabric stores in Fl.
    Please write again about the location and how you are doing. !!!!!!

We go to Tucson. I am here now and bring my sewing machine. I pre cut quilts and projects. Our park has so many activities that you will always be busy. Our park has a quilt club and we make comfort quilts, take classes and visit local quilt shops with lunch after. There will probably be more things to do that you will want to come back next year. Have a great winter.

Where are you going? I live in Central Fl. I travel too and I always take too much. Pick projects or UFO's that you want to finish. I never finish all I take.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I love cold, snowy weather. If I went anywhere it would be to a colder area. Hot places are the last place I would want to go. I know My Daughter thinks I'm losing 'it'. I have always thought this way.
    Have a safe trip and enjoy. Make sure you take enough hobby things to last.
    I'm with you Jingle!! Heading "up north" on Thursday for a week of deer hunting! Guys hunt, I quilt!! Hopefully we'll get some snow!!

Blog Entries
    We usually go to South TX for the winter, and I take my featherweight. I sew on the kitchen table most times, but I do have a little fold up table that I also use... In our park we have one day a week that anyone who wants goes up to the recreation hall and quilts... Don't worry about not knowing anyone.. Most parks are full of wonderful ppl.. It is like your second family... There is lots to do in most parks. Cards, bingo, horse racing, woodcarving, dancing, dominoes, bunco, Ladies luncheons.etc. You will be glad you went... Have a wonderful winter... Bet you will hate to leave after 3 months..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast