Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Space Bags?

Space Bags?

Anyone use them?? Do you like them??

I thought they may help with storing seasonal clothes, etc.
    Sady
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I only had one to store a large comforter that was super thick. I had a proper size bag but it still let air in. Was not impressed. But ... since I've only used one, perhaps I had a lemon.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I just bought some on tuesday for seasonal clothes i am going to try it.
    wish me luck.

Blog Entries
    My son and daughter inlaw love them...when they moved from CA to Boston they were able to packed 50 percent more in their car..they hightly recommend....me..I say donate ; )

Blog Entries
    I do like them and have used them during moves accross country a few times i had issues with the bags filling back up with air but for the most part they worked fine. next time I move accross country i'll use them again.
    Warm Regards,
    Sandra

I bought a box at a thrift store and used them to move my stash. I would not consider them for long term storage (I didn't even bother sucking the air out) but they were big and worked for what I needed. I wouldn't pay real money for them, I paid $3 for a box of 9 that had 1 bag taken out. It was way cheaper than totes or moving boxes so it worked for what I needed. The pulls on the top of the bags kept falling off and my daughter tore a hole in one just moving it.

I had a couple and I filled them and stored them under the bed. Then the cats found them...end of nice tight space bags....lol
    Blessings from Janice

Blog Entries
    I have had the brand name one and some off brand name one they all worked the same Let air back in. Two had the closeur tab fall right off. I now use good Heafty bags and squeeze and squeeze the air out they work better stay sealed forever and are a lot cheeper than so called space bags.

Thanks for the feedback. Losing air is probably "normal". One reason i did not buy the Sleep Comfort bed .
    It is an air mattress.
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    I have some that I use when traveling...like to limit myself to one roller/carryon.....they have worked great so far 7 yr.

most flights are 5 hours or less and I pack the night before...so that may be why no air leak problem.

another reason ( personal phobia ) they are transparent and TSA can go through my bag if they choose to without actually handling the clothing ( do they ever change those gloves )
    Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 10-22-2012 at 02:53 AM.

I have several and love them. Cut the space and not have more room.
    Mona Marie
    I am too Blessed to be stressed and too Anointed to be disappointed

They are the best. I use them all the time.

I love space bags! I use them all time. When I became ill about 5 years ago, I stored my batting and other stuff in them. I took the batting out and it was just like new. I also stored clothing, sweaters, comforters in them. They save lots of space and keep everything in them as fresh as the day you put it in.

Quote Originally Posted by promenades View Post
    I love space bags! I use them all time. When I became ill about 5 years ago, I stored my batting and other stuff in them. I took the batting out and it was just like new. I also stored clothing, sweaters, comforters in them. They save lots of space and keep everything in them as fresh as the day you put it in.
    What a great idea for storing batting. I think I'll try that.

Blog Entries
    I have several of these and they are good storage, but they do leak and fill up with air after a time.
    Abiding in the Vine

Have used them for seasonal clothing storage and had trouble with the "zip lock" closure. When they work they are great but the larger sizes are very heavy when moving from location to location.

I like to use them when I have to ship a quilt to someone----gets it into a smaller box for sure
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

I use them all the time. Even on occassion in a suitcase to travel.
    "We can never have too much fabric" and "May the Fabric Fairy always keep your stash filled".

Robinlee

I have used them in the past, but as Janie says they get very heavy, very fast. I once bought the larger bag (kind of a "floor model") with two handles and I could not possibly lift the thing, so I would not do that again. The smaller bags are okay if you want to store just one comforter or something like that, but all of the brands I have tried have been hard to zip closed, and they do lose air after a while.

Blog Entries
    Buy the Extra heavy duty garbage bags, crunch up the top and stick your vac hose in there. suck out all the air, hold tight to the top and slowly pull the hose out and twist the top really tight. Put a twist tie on, very tightly. This will hold as good as the costly bags do. My DH and DS were amazed when I showed them this when he was moving. I had to ship a quilt to my dad and it was big. So I folded it up so the shape was the shape of the box, I put it in one of those trash bags, sucked out the air, fit it in the box, sealed it tight and shipped it out to him! Works like a charm. It is AMAZING how much air space there is is stuff.
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Blog Entries
    I've bought more than a few of the space bags. When they work (hold the seal), they are great. Again, when they work, they've held for months. When they don't, you can hear the air come in. Can't figure out why one works and another doesn't. Can't find or see a hole. It is frustrating as they are not cheap. But I can store so much by using them.
    By the way, have a sleep comfort bed for I think 8-10 years. Love it and have had no problems.

Blog Entries
    I love them. I sent my Dad a queen size quilt in one. I packed it in the box my coffee maker came in =smaller boxes cost less to ship, When I moved from Ohio to Missouri I put quilts -blankets-linens- battings and all my clothes in them they all fit into a 24x24x48 tall box freeing up alot of space for all my furniture -appliances-etc -I had to be creative on that move and they are re-usable over and over. The $30 I spent on them was a very good investment. I did not have to part with any of my sewing machines - tables - fabrics and all the other goodies that filled my sewing room.

I have used these, but I store my out of season clothes and other things not in an attic but a seperate storage building that has a problem with mice coming in from the pasture - regardless of measures we take. I have found that I can store better by putting things in new trash barrels with locking lids.

Blog Entries
    I used them when moving across country and everything went into storage for 6 months. I had three in one suitcase so packed 3 times as much into the suitcase. They didn't let in any air but I know that if they get bumped they will fill with air again. Putting them into something with a lid where they won't be bumped seems to be the thing to do.

Since I don't have much company anymore, usually just for the holidays, I store all my extra bed linens in them. I have never had a problem with air getting back in them, but I have had the tabs come off. I forget that you just need to pull apart the bag to open and the tabs are just for sealing. My linen closet looks so much neater. I also have a couple of the bags that are in a canvas holder. They are really big and I like to put the comforters and mattress pads in them.
    Linda

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast