Spam

Old 12-17-2022, 05:01 AM

Angry Spam

So i have a hard time wrapping my head around the reason for SPAM in general. But on the Quiltingboard? What benefit could anyone be hoping to gain by spamming us?

We don't buy things here? We dont give out our names? We talk, gab, share ideas, ask for help, advice. Show pictures of our projects, super messy studios, amazing finishes.

While i am not OLD, i feel like attacking a group of little old ladies that like to sew/quilt just seems to be a new low. And times I wonder, can we get any lower!!
Old 12-17-2022, 05:31 AM

I doubt they even know what sites they are sending spam to. or care. perhaps they are paid per number of them they do daily...
Old 12-17-2022, 05:31 AM
mkc

Spammers simply post anywhere they can. They aren't even looking at the subject matter. They'll search for websites that are discussion boards in general, then attempt to make a first post. All they care about is putting links out there that get clicked. Sometimes it's just spam (advertising), many times it's malicious - malware, ransomware, etc. Boards that don't have automatic new member moderation (i.e. allow new members to post links, have avatars, make a first post without review), or don't do member verification, get hit with it most frequently. Boards that allow PBE (post by e-mail) also get spammed most often.
Old 12-17-2022, 11:11 AM

[QUOTE=mkc;8580783]Spammers simply post anywhere they can. They aren't even looking at the subject matter. They'll search for websites that are discussion boards in general, then attempt to make a first post. All they care about is putting links out there that get clicked. Sometimes it's just spam (advertising), many times it's malicious - malware, ransomware, etc. Boards that don't have automatic new member moderation (i.e. allow new members to post links, have avatars, make a first post without review), or don't do member verification, get hit with it most frequently. Boards that allow PBE (post by e-mail) also get spammed most often.[/QUOTEi

MKC . Interesting. And good to know! Thanks.