Spending or saving?

Old 08-28-2011, 04:02 AM

I save by cutting DH's hair too - good thing he likes a buzz cut, that's all I can do!We are trying not to eat out as much. I grocery shop at Walmart SuperCenter - way cheaper than the other stores here. Kinda of on a fabric 'til my sis gets here Sept8 - then we will go shopping! I'll fill my frequent buyer card from a LQS and will get $30 worth of stuff FREE!!! We will also hit Tuesday Morning, Savers (glorified Goodwill but always has good fabric for cheap) and JoAnn's.
My house needs cleaning but I'm working on a custom photo memory quilt for someone, so darn it, cleaning will have to wait!!! BTW the custom quilt is ALL coming out of stash so far!! Yay!
Old 08-28-2011, 04:13 AM

DH and I cut each other's hair, I always remind him of how much money he is saving, and he always gets a kiss on top of his head when his haircut is done. Can't get that at a barbershop!! I hope!!

I should say mine is just a trim on the ends, I have to give him VERY strict instructions on how much to cut off.

And no, McD's doesn't get any of my money - I would rather fix it myself.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:35 AM

I do the following:
pack lunches
resist eating out
cut my hair 2x per year
use a very specific list at the grocery store and stick to it
try not to be brand loyal
hand me downs for the kids (and even me sometimes)
resist splurges and spur of the moment purchases
keep myself on a budget
keep myself focused (two hobbies... quilting and bodybuilding) and nothing else
no purchases for work (so easy working in a school just to buy new stuff...)

keep focused on spending money on experiences NOT things.

When I am in a spending mood, I go through what I have and repurpose, clean, reorganize and get out of the spending mood.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:46 AM

I saved yesterday by going to the thrift stores just to look not really looking for anything specific. BUT... I have been wanting a new chair for my sewing room as mine does not go up higher enough for me. I found one that had $5 marked on it. I measured how high it went, went home to measure mine and yep, itmine was lower. So... I took my chair back up to the store and asked if they would trade. They did! I got a new chair and didn't spend a penny! Gotta love those kind of deals
Old 08-28-2011, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingKrazy
I saved yesterday by going to the thrift stores just to look not really looking for anything specific. BUT... I have been wanting a new chair for my sewing room as mine does not go up higher enough for me. I found one that had $5 marked on it. I measured how high it went, went home to measure mine and yep, itmine was lower. So... I took my chair back up to the store and asked if they would trade. They did! I got a new chair and didn't spend a penny! Gotta love those kind of deals
Now trading chairs up is so smart!Your right, gotta love those kinda deals.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:45 AM

Been a saver since I was about 13. Here's my tip for the day: Don't use automated coin counters in grocery stores. You lose almost 20% of yor money. I roll my own coins and just deposit them into my checking account whenever I have at least two rolls. So what if I make a 5.50 deposit? The bank is in walking distance from my work, so I'm not spending gas money, and the bank will take up to $20 in rolled coins per day.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:10 AM

Me i just stay home.I do cut my dh hair.I save by using up scraps and us up old batting.But there is one thing i want but,i don't know,do i get one model or ask for a more costly model.Connie in CO