Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Spring Cleaning Inspiration >

Spring Cleaning Inspiration

Spring Cleaning Inspiration

Old 04-18-2014, 09:01 AM

I vote for genetic. My MIL had it, my SIL has it and my DH has it to a certain degree. If I wasn't there to reign him in he'd go thrift shopping and to auctions all the time and bring back lots of cr*p. Just keep bringing it in and taking it down to the basement, never to use it or anything. (Makes me very very anxious because I'm a neat freak)
Old 04-18-2014, 09:27 AM

Trippgal, that was beautifully put and DOTTYMO my thoughts and prayers are with you.Doggramma, you must be a saint! I too go into a cleaning frenzy with every episodes of hoarders. I feel so bad for the individuals who are afflicted with the compulsion to hoard and their families who are at a loss as to how to deal with it all. I tend to be a clean freak and become anxious when when I think things are looking cluttered (doesn't take much). DOTTYMO I sincerely hope things get better.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:02 AM
Power Poster

I used to watch that show, but after a while it creeped me out, thinking what might be living underneath all the stuff that these people had in their houses. But isn't it funny what will get us out of our chairs and start cleaning up around the area.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by flybreit View Post
FlyLady is a very good friend of mine - check her out: http://www.flylady.net Some parts of my world she really keeps under control; then there are the other parts......

Last night I spent hours going through paperwork - organizing (couldn't have found anything if I had needed it), pitching, shredding, etc. That took care of one of my paperwork stashes.....We won't even talk about the storage area!
That is exactly what I have been doing! Filled the dumpster several times! Then started on pictures, fabric, clothing, etc. (Even tractor parts) Last week, I hauled five trash bags to a thrift store for abused families. Have made a 'small' dent in my hoards.....lots to go. I do have an abundance of plastic totes of all sizes that are now empty!
Old 04-18-2014, 11:30 AM

flylady changed my life forever.
In the end she is also how I've managed to be on the fabric wagon since 2001.
I was such a poor steward of life and finances. All that has changed, all for the better. 15 minutes a day with a rotating schedule through each part of the house each week. Took me 9 months, but there were a few days where I'd work on an area for a couple of hours. The rest was just 15 minutes a day. And if something is in your hand put it away after you use it.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:04 PM

That show gives me a panic attack. I start looking for stuff to sell and declutter my house.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:53 PM

I guess that show kind of scares me--I too end up cleaning up after watching how things can get away from some people. I've been doing the fly lady for a while also -- I used to get stuck cleaning up the same room all the time (for me the kitchen) this program encourages me to work on a different room each week and I like that. So many times we don't "see" what is around us -- it's been there so it becomes invisible. Just this week I threw away a huge stack of VCR tapes that my Dad recorded -- we haven't looked at them in years so I know they won't be missed! We live on a small ranch so it becomes very easy to put something in another building to "store" it. I've been trying to go through a bunch of that and throw it away also. It is a continuing process for sure.