Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: standard, stick, and rotary party lines

A 19 yr old co-worker was telling me she knew how to drive 'standard' on the floor. I told her that was 'stickshift' -that standard was on the column-she said no, that was automatic. I say that yes now it's automatic but there didn't used to be all the automatics. Standard was a shifting gear on the column and Stick was on the floor. She didn't believe me so she asked a driving instructor. He told her that Yes, it was that way but he himself had never seen it. Am I THAT old???
    Which made ask about phones. She has never used a rotary phone and never heard of 'party lines'. But she does still see 'old-fashioned push button phones' on walls. OMG, just roll me in my grave now.

Right there with ya, sister!

I am 35, and I remember the standard. :) I think my dad had a truck that was that way... We also had a rotary phone and a party line. :) So, either I am old or she is REALLY young...

I'm almost afraid to tell that I still have and use a 1977 Mickey Mouse rotary dial telephone!! Found it in a yard sale in 1980 for $7.

My 14 year old neighbor was 10 when she asked me what that handle on the inside of my car door was. I told her it's the crank for the window, she had only ever seen the electric ones.

I also remember picking up the crank phone on the wall and telling the operator (Agnus Grennel) who you wanted to talk to. It was a party line, we kids weren't allowed to answer. Our small town in WI had them a long time.

I am right with you, too. We had a party line in California. Then we moved to Idaho in 1978 and got one again. I was really glad to get a cell phone that was all my own! I learned how to drive on a standard transmission.
    Debbie C: your rotary Mickey sounds really cute- what a find.
    Mary: my bff has a crank for her windows in her car and it is a pretty new Toyota, really cheap model, though.

Blog Entries
    yep, i know what you mean. goodness, in the 80's we had a secretary and i mentioned Humphrey Bogart one day. the look on her face told me she had no idea who he was. so much for loving old movies.
    i remember rotary dial phones. i used a pencil. and party lines. this was before i was allowed to use the phone.
    remember white marjorine. came with the packets of yellow to add for color.
    sodas(cokes, etc) were 5 cents.... sigh.

We had a rotary phone when I was growing up in the 80's. My first car was not power windows/doors.

thanks - It is adorable! You can only imagine how many people who see it tell me they want it 'when I tire of it'. Yeah, like THAT's going to happen!!
    Quote Originally Posted by luckylindy333
    I am right with you, too. We had a party line in California. Then we moved to Idaho in 1978 and got one again. I was really glad to get a cell phone that was all my own! I learned how to drive on a standard transmission.
    Debbie C: your rotary Mickey sounds really cute- what a find.
    Mary: my bff has a crank for her windows in her car and it is a pretty new Toyota, really cheap model, though.

I'm 39 and remember all of those things; in fact, we have kept all our cordless phones but turned off their ringers and replaced them with functioning rotary phones. We use them all the time, but mostly we just love the ring!

I learned to drive on a standard, and my friend had a truck with a stick shift that we'd run around in.

As for party lines, I only vaguely remember them but I DO remember them. I don't remember talking on the phone until much later anyway.

Blog Entries
    Do you remember how the first 3 numbers of a phone number was a word + a # Ours was chestnut 3 (CH3-and the number). Plus we had a party line with 2 old ladies that would listen to our calls.

Definately remember the rotary phone; and the standard - although I learned to drive on a car that was a stickshift.

But my boys don't believe that we didn't have "at least" cable TV (we have a dish) - and we had only three channels ABC/CBS/NBC and to switch there was a box that controlled the antenna on the roof. You had to move the arrow on the box and the antenna went zzzclickzzzclick until it reached the direction you wanted to aim it to recieve the TV signal.

They are certain I have made this story up!

Blog Entries
    I am there with you, too. I remember the day my DD asked, "What do those knobs on Grandma's tv do?". I told her that back in the day, we not only had to walk a mile to school, when we got home, after our chores were done and IF we were allowed, we had to actually get out of our chair to turn the tv on. You should have seen her face when I told her that we had to get up every time we wanted to change the channel. And that it wasn't very often because we only had 4 channels. She is turning 30 this year.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
    I am there with you, too. I remember the day my DD asked, "What do those knobs on Grandma's tv do?". I told her that back in the day, we not only had to walk a mile to school, when we got home, after our chores were done and IF we were allowed, we had to actually get out of our chair to turn the tv on. You should have seen her face when I told her that we had to get up every time we wanted to change the channel. And that it wasn't very often because we only had 4 channels. She is turning 30 this year.
    Haha! Only Grandma's TV never had a broken dial; everybody else eventually needed needle-nosed pliers to change the channel!

Yes, Our first phone number was Oxford 4563....about 55 yrs ago...lol!

I remember manual transmissions as being......

3 on the tree
    4 on the floor

And I remember the wall phone at home being a rotary. And the sound it made when you dialed each number.

Blog Entries
    OH I forgot about the needle nose pliers to turn the channel. Thanks for the memory.

Blog Entries
    I am 42 and remember all of the things you have listed!!! :lol: :lol:

I remember the first time I saw Wizard of Oz in color, I was about 12 or 13.

I am not really old enough to remember party lines, but the 3 on the tree and 4 on the floor is something my Dad used to say :-) I do remember how excited we were when the Fox channel started, before that we had network and PBS. I also remember watching the world premier of MTV- video killed the radio star by the buggles- back when MTV played music, not that awful faux reality TV

It's amazing the changes we have all seen. I don't think we are dinosaurs, just technology changes and grows so quickly.

What about the old plug and cord switchboards, Does anyone remember them? When I was a teen I did work experience at a Forestry Department office out in the sticks. They had a small one, so I learned how to use it. Years later, in the '80s I worked for the Education Department in the city, our section was working out of an old building. As it was not to be a long term tenancy, no upgrades were done. They had a huge plug and cord switchboard on the bottom floor....I was the only one who knew how to use it, so I had to show the others.

Blog Entries
    I remember all those things. In fact, I have rotary dial Princess phone on my bedside table. It works just fine. I guess it must be a real antique!

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    My 96 year old grandmother still has and still uses her desktop rotary phone... Its super heavy, and pale green.. I love the way it sounds as she 'dials' the numbers.. Ive been searching for one for my house.. But she will not give it up..

I learned on a standard, Hated it and scared me to death but once you learn stick shift it does become soooo much easier with a lil practice.... After I had my lil one, I went automatic.. Figured Id need that extra hand to pick up a dropped binky or bottle.. Yea, Ill stick to automatic..

Blog Entries
    I still have my dear MIL's old (about 1915 or so, maybe a little older) rotary phone and it still works. When I have company, I plug it in and then go in another room and call it on my cell phone, and yell at someone to "get the phone". It really gives them a blast to use it, and several have wanted to dial their own homes, just to say they had used one.
    I learned to drive in an old 1930s Ford, someone had to get out front and turn a crank while I turned things on the wheel to make the contact, but that old car was like a tank, it would go anywhere. Once when Dad was feeling his drinks he didn't get in the swing with the crank and it flew up and broke his arm. It was a huge thing like a hub cap turner...something else we've gotten away from. Sometimes we could park it on a hill and let it go downhill fast enough to get it started, that was always fun to do!!
    As a child, when we finely got a phone, it had a little button under the hand set that you had to pull out to be able to be heard. Which really did make it marvelous for overhearing lots of interesting conversations!!! Everyone would, of course, tell everyone to get off the line, they wanted to talk privately. Which of course made it necessary for everyone to glue the phone to their ear!!! I found out more about boys than my Grandma wanted me to know by listening to teens talking up and down the hollows.

Blog Entries
    I am not old, only 50 and I learned to drive in a '46 Plymouth coupe (standard on the column), drove a '70 Oldsmobile Toronado (power everything-windows seats etc) the first half of my senior year of high school until my Dad sold it to get a '50 Oldsmobile (one of the early automatic transmissions, ignition button on the dash). Oh, and I remember relatives in Nebraska having party lines when we visited in '71.

I repeat...I am not old. :mrgreen:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast