Starching a knit doily

Old 04-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

Both of my grandmothers used screen frames (before we knew anything called A/C). They would put muslin on the screen. They would put the doilies in warm soapy water and gently squeeze excess out. They had warm water on hand constantly to continue. When they had the doilies the size they wanted after pins to hold in place, they rinsed with water till it ran clear. After they had the sizes they wanted that was also the way they cleaned the doilies. They would put them on the screens pinned in place then just run warm soapy water over them then rinse til clear. I can remember them also putting some liquid starch mixture (no sugar)or food substance, into a bowl and use a rag to drip over the doilies. They always had the prettiest doilies and made their own. I still have a few that belonged to both of them. I received what others didn't want and no one is getting them now. I will have to figure out in the future who will get them and appreciate them. it's been a while and probably time for a cleaning but no bugs.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:03 PM

You can but it at Wal-Mart it is called Stay Flo for starching your doily just read the directions on the package i think u put your doilies in this and then squeeze the remainer out back into container and then strecth to the size u want