Stolen checks?

Old 06-09-2011, 09:34 AM

My SIL won't do any banking online because "It's not safe" and yet things like this can happen with paper checks. I think you did the right thing.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:54 AM

Make sure you let your bank know as they can put a watch out on that account they will probably change it but they can make a notation incase someone writes some. They can give you the best advice. Then be ready in case someone does write some of those checks. First you will have to fill out papers for each check if anyone writes some. Second remember NEVER give anything for payment for those checks to any check collection place as they will try to get you to pay for it. If you pay it you will be out the money and will have to try to collect. CheckRite will go as far as asking for your credit card number. I had to go the State Attorney General to get them to stop harrassing me. Good luck hope you have no problems!!!!!
Old 06-09-2011, 11:15 AM

I don't mail bills in my mailbox. I take them to the P.O.
or drop them in a box that picks up that day.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

closing your account is the thing to do for certain.
i recently ordered new cks and got those but didn't get a new check book cover order. twice now. and other mail isn't getting to me either. i finally stopped my mail coming to my house and will pick it up for awhile. probably won't help but i had to try.
good luck on your account change. it's frustrating i know.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

Close your account and notify the bank so they can be on the watch for it.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:15 AM

Don't put anything like that in your mailbox for pickup. It's a pain, but go to the post office and put it directly in their box.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:23 AM

I had my wallet stolen out of my purse at work last week. Within one hour they had spent $820.75 at Toys R US and filled up on gas at Walmart, then in the next hour ate at Braums. So far, they've stolen over $1,000 from me. It's been a nightmare. I also had blank checks in the wallet! The bank (Arvest Bank) has been fantastic at working to get this resolved but it's been a nightmare all the same. So, at dinner the other night a co-worker said that they had placed envelopes with bills and checks on their mailbox and someone had stolen the envelopes right off their mailbox. She said the bank told her they had "washed" the checks to remove the vendor's name and amounts and changed that to pay to themselves. She said it was over $2,500 for three checks! So, even though the check was only written for $20, apparently they have methods for changing the information on the checks. You are wise to close the account immediately. Good luck. Hope it all works out well.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:30 AM

We recently had a charge on our credit card for over $1000.00 from a place in Florida in March. We were not out of state and immediatley notified our credit card, they cancelled our card and gave us a new one. There was no phone number on the charge on the credit card so I searched on the internet for the company and got the number and called them. Found out someone in Florida stole a truck and had it hauled to New York. The credit card company told me to put tin foil around the credit card so scammers could not read the card. We have no idea how the card number was stolen. Last year in Feb. we were in Flordia for a month, so someone could have read the card and saved that number for a year. So be aware.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:30 AM

We recently had a charge on our credit card for over $1000.00 from a place in Florida in March. We were not out of state and immediatley notified our credit card, they cancelled our card and gave us a new one. There was no phone number on the charge on the credit card so I searched on the internet for the company and got the number and called them. Found out someone in Florida stole a truck and had it hauled to New York. The credit card company told me to put tin foil around the credit card so scammers could not read the card. We have no idea how the card number was stolen. Last year in Feb. we were in Flordia for a month, so someone could have read the card and saved that number for a year. So be aware.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:32 AM

sorry about the repeat, can't delete it.