Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
storage solution to too many pix on your computer >

storage solution to too many pix on your computer

storage solution to too many pix on your computer

Old 04-07-2010, 11:02 AM

i read so many threads about people keeping pix on their hard drives. thought i would give you a tip where you could save these and not worry about losing them. the photo below is a flash drive--it is about 2 inches long and fits in your computer. They are less than $20 and worth the peace of mind. i don't have a printer--so i originally used this to take items off my laptop to get copies made of patterns, etc. the best part is i loaded it ALL off my laptop & it isn't SLUGGISH any more!!! YES!!

one of many types of FLASH drives
[ATTACH=CONFIG]48457[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-48457.jpe  
Old 04-07-2010, 11:04 AM

About how many pictures can you store on there?
Old 04-07-2010, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am
i read so many threads about people keeping pix on their hard drives. thought i would give you a tip where you could save these and not worry about losing them. the photo below is a flash drive--it is about 2 inches long and fits in your computer. They are less than $20 and worth the peace of mind.
Good suggestion! I use these all the time in work and finally figured out they'd work just as well at home, storing pictures and such.

However, if you're prone to losing things (e.g., my boyfriend does), you might want to get an inexpensive storage container for it. They're only slightly bigger, hold more than one thumb drive, and zip up. They're also harder to lose!
Old 04-07-2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
About how many pictures can you store on there?
A LOT! i've used this for at least two years and i have thousands of files on it---i use it to back up my laptop & so far it hasn't failed me. Because picture files are so large, it's hard to say. if you look on the back of the package you will get a better idea.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth
Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am
i read so many threads about people keeping pix on their hard drives. thought i would give you a tip where you could save these and not worry about losing them. the photo below is a flash drive--it is about 2 inches long and fits in your computer. They are less than $20 and worth the peace of mind.
Good suggestion! I use these all the time in work and finally figured out they'd work just as well at home, storing pictures and such.

However, if you're prone to losing things (e.g., my boyfriend does), you might want to get an inexpensive storage container for it. They're only slightly bigger, hold more than one thumb drive, and zip up. They're also harder to lose!
if you look at the right hand corner there is a little metal ring on it and that's where a piece of ribbon/lace comes in handy--then you can hang it or put it on your keyring!!! they think of everything
Old 04-07-2010, 11:16 AM

i was looking at them at walmart the ohter night, they were $8. but it needed a micro adapter and they of course didn't carry those or were out. I wanted it for my camera.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:36 AM

I have a Verbatim backup system that collects the photos.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Google Goddess

wow, thanks for starting this thread learning something new every day
Old 04-07-2010, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by thequilterslink
i was looking at them at walmart the ohter night, they were $8. but it needed a micro adapter and they of course didn't carry those or were out. I wanted it for my camera.
sounds like a storage card, i have one of those for my camera which allows you to expand your photo capabilities. if it was a flash drive for $8 i would have bought a dozen! i paid more than twice that for mine, [but it is 4 gig]
Old 04-07-2010, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

It depends on the quality setting on your camera, on how many pictures a thumb/flash drive will hold, as well as the size of the drive. I take pictures on the best quality on my camera and they take up a LOT of room on these. I filled my 4gig flash drive with about 300 pictures....

I went to storing everything on Carbonite, an online service, it automatically uploads all of my documents and pictures for around $50 a year. I can access them from any computer or internet device, and if my computer should crash, I can re-download everything.

I do use flash drives for transferring data from one computer to another, but like your computer's hard drive, they can fail....