Storing notions

Old 09-05-2011, 03:49 PM

I'm an antiquer so I'm always looking to re use and repurpose old stuff...for my threads I use an old wooden tool caddy...also have an old metal one...also holds rolls of ribbons
For my rulers I just use a tote bag and hang it on the door knob...Also can buy those rings to hold rulers and hang in your closet...tote is easier.
I made a material case with pockets that I pinned on my bulletin bd and it holds pens, scissors, seam ripper etc...
Old crates to hold my mags and books
Baskets for under the bed holds scraps, batting, etc..
Vintage ladders to display fabrics or quilts
Old 09-05-2011, 08:20 PM

I have the majority of my tools other than my mats and rulers in this, Holds my pens, scissors, rotary cutters, seam ripper, needle threaders, pin boxes, tape measures, screw drivers, etc..... Holds alot Set on a TV tray right next to my machine. Absolutely love it.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...ID=xprd1130390
Old 09-06-2011, 07:59 PM

Thank you everyone.. I think I'm going to put my rulers in a tote.. and I have an available door knob for it to hang on.. good idea.. they are standing against the wall and they keep falling over ever time I turn around.. I have patterns in a crate now, I think putting magazines in one is a great idea.. thanks.. And the art case is a wonderful thing to keep all the small stuff in..

There are such creative and imaginative people on here, I knew you'd help me figure this out!! Besides a lot of my stuff the tornado blew away a lot of my brain power.. Hopefully I'll be able to find it again one day and be able to think of some of these things for myself.. Thank you for helping me over a rough place.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:55 AM

I think you must have great coping skills to be able to come through such a tramatic event and keep your sense of humor. I hope the rest of your year is peaceful and full of good quilting and happiness.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:16 PM

Thank you Tanyal for your comment.. As life hands you difficult times you learn to cope. At first I was so busy I couldn't think, later, I didn't want to think.. I was pretty overwhelmed. I felt uprooted.. I was sick and tired and feeling hopeless, I just wanted to go home, but I had no home. It was an awful feeling. Slowly I realized that "uprooting" is one way God has of moving us out of a rut. It took me a bit of time, but I realized no one was going to come help me out of this mess.. I couldn't do anything about what had happened, but I could do something about how I respond. When you're overwhelmed you're paralyzed, that doesn't do you one bit of good. So I had to take myself by the ear, off to a quiet place, and have a good talking to. I still have to do that now and then! But over all I'm trying to accept that it is what it is, and make a move forward every day. I'm thankful for so many things, and looking forward to a day when life will be okay. I figure that everyone has big life changing events in their life, this will one day just be another one in my life. Meanwhile it's very nice to have someone else think I'm doing okay with all of this. I have no other good choice but to move on... It will all be for my good and for God's glory in time.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:54 PM

IMHO It seems to me that you are carrying on in the pioneering spirit of the American women who settled this country. While you didn't travel as they did, you have had to make a new home in all new circumstances under adverse conditions and apparently you have done it well. I would imagine everyone in your situation was operating in shock for awhile. But you seem to have come out of that and are moving forward. I think you have a lot to be proud of in the way you have coped. You seem to be standing tall and facing the future with firm resolve and humor. I'm proud to one of YOUR fellow Americans! You're demonstrating what makes our country strong.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:32 AM

Bless you Tanyal! What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.. in the case of tornados, that's a very true statement. After 65 years if this life, I'm getting pretty dang strong!

When you finally get your head back together after something like this, you find the only thing to do is pick up and get going! Better learn to love work early in life, we all get to have a basket full of it every time you turn around!!
Old 09-08-2011, 08:24 AM

I'm only a few years older than you and the physical effort required to start over is staggering to me. I think I could cope with losing the physical things because I know it is only a matter of short years until I leave all physical things behind. But the energy! That seems so daunting to me now. I am definitely in the work a little while and sit and support my back a little while more mode of living. I sure hope you aren't doing this with a bad back. I hope you aren't doing this alone. I pray you now have time for quilting or other hobbies. Do you have any of your extended family close by?

Isn't it interesting what we expected life would be like and what it has actually been?
Old 09-08-2011, 04:53 PM

No, I am not alone. I have a husband who is still strong and able.. and I am lucky enough, no, make that blessed to be in good health as well. When I was young I did have a lot of back problems. It took years to get past those, and at times I thought I never would, but with time and patience I did. Both Jim and I have been hard workers all of lives, we both grew up in hard conditions. We didn't marry until we were older (for our time anyway) and so I'm very independant and have a sort of lead or get out of my way attitude. I have to say this just about brought both of us to our knees. Maybe that's just what God intended. So no, I'm not alone, and while this is more than I ever wanted or would have signed on to do, we have no choice really. I guess we could have just taken the insurance money (another thing I'm SO glad we have) and gone someplace else, but we decided to stay.

You're right, you never know where life is going to take you... Much farther than you would ever guess. and it never is like you think it's going to be, so why do we worry about it so much?

Jim and I run a national Sailor's Association.. comprised of the men that served on the ship Jim was on.. Each year we have host a reunion someplace in the U.S. This year it's in Nashville, TN. Since we started doing this some 12 years ago I have made a patriotic themed quilt that we raffle off at the reunion. The money goes to support the association. I didn't think I'd be able to make one this year.. but then another quilter that knows I do this, came up to me one day a while back and handed me a wal-mart pattern and the fabrics to make a quilt. I thought my quilting days were over since all my stuff was gone.. Nope, I had everything I needed, so I made the quilt.. it's at a LAQ right now. I think everyone will be very surprised that there is a quilt this year.. so yes, I'm even sewing some. Life is beginning to normalize I think.

Life might be hard, but it's rewarding and the people you meet along the way make it worth the living!
Old 09-08-2011, 05:09 PM

Was your husband in the navy or a merchant seaman? My husband was in the navy reserves for years and sailed as a merchant seaman for 8 year and worked for Delta SS Lines for 15 years.It may be a small world after all.