Strange Garage Sales

Old 10-17-2011, 11:22 AM

Outdated signs are an eyesore, too. I always make sure to pick all mine up after the sale is over.

Oh, one of the garage sellers was ready to pack up at 9:30...makes it even crazier to set up!!

I've also decided that the homeowners in the more exclusive neighborhoods just pay someone to come in and declutter and have it hauled away to Goodwill! The thrift stores around here are high too or such a mess, I don't even want to go in. I took some bags of things to our local Gateway and it has to be dropped off at the warehouse entrance. I could see inside and there was stuff just piled to the rafters (2 stories high) in a pyramid shape. I wondered who actually went thru that stuff to put out for sale. Made me not want to donate to Gateway anymore!!
Old 10-17-2011, 11:40 AM

I went to a few yard sales this weekend. Most of them are not in the area, but I have tracked down some nice ones. I bought a quilt, two dolls, an old rabbit made of leather and dressed in a dressed. But in one upper class area, the only thing the people had out was stuff that I would have put straight into the trash can. No one that stopped even touched it.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-272882.jpe   attachment-272886.jpe  
Old 10-17-2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by athomenow
I've been to those yard sales! People sitting outside with one little table of things that I probably would have thrown away. Maybe they're bored!
I was wondering if that was the case. Or do they just want to join in? They may figure better than nothing.

But I don't get it.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:05 PM

That's kinda why I quit garage saleing. Costs more for gas and wasn't worth it.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:18 PM

I don't mind those too much unless I have to go way out of town to get to them. The ones that drive me crazy are what we call MSIG. (My s--T is GOLD) Everything is priced as if it is in an upscale boutique, and the ones where everything is covered in a layer of filth. Do they think we want to touch it any more than they do??????? I have found some real gems in little sales.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:12 PM

The ones with no price tags just annoy the crap out of me. Stick a tag on it, will ya? I'll be happy to negotiate, if you want, but let's see a starting point. I get tired of having to ask, What are you wanting for this.

I did buy a display case, no price, of course. He said $8, I said how about $5. He said $7, I countered $5, He said $6, I countered $5. He sold it for $5. Hmmm. Next time, put a price tag on it, lol. Made me stubborn.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:19 PM
Power Poster

Ugh not worth the effort. what happens here a lot too is a big deal about fabric and when I get there it is nothing or some over priced antique linens. They caught on we are looking for fabric I think.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:29 AM

I hate when they have a sign pointing down a side street, and they don't say how FAR down the street it is. One block, one mile, whatever. And you don't even know if the sign is current.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:57 AM

I totally agree. I went to some yard sales over my lunch hour but the one I really scored at was 2 doors down on Sat morning. Orphan quilt blocks, and some quilt tops. I also got a large vintage quilt top that needs a lot of tlc for $5. Someone had washed it and the person who pieced it didn't use 1/4 in seams, plus one of the fabrics shredded. I am been sitting in front of the tv every night, tearing out the bad fabric and replacing it with vintage fabric. The blocks probably started out at 2.5 inches but really are about 2.25 inchs. Once the seams are stable I am going to put it on my quilting frame and quilt it. What a shame, I felt so sorry for it when I saw it, that I had to buy it.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-273170.jpe   attachment-273171.jpe  
Old 10-18-2011, 04:11 AM

When it comes to the signs for garage sale, when we have one, we have a stand that has a huge white posterboard on it saying garage sale-----> on both sides and put it at the corner (we asked our neighbor if it was ok). This comes from when we were farmers and put stuff at farmers market. We used two of the push down frames attached at the top to make a hinge. Then when the end of the day, walked down and picked it up. No other signs to take down.