Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Strep throat.....Strep carrier? >

Strep throat.....Strep carrier?

Strep throat.....Strep carrier?

Old 05-18-2011, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by so-sew
Hi. Hope someone out there has a medical degree pertinent to this question. My 9 year old son has had strep throat 4 times in the past 4 months. It seems to always present itself a couple days after the onset of another illness, such as a common cold or stomach flu. Is it possible he is a carrier and when his immunity is compromised by another active illness, the strep bug rears it's ugly head? Similarly, could it be that one of us family members is a carrier and he is susceptible when his immunity is lowered by another illness. The doc hasn't suggested that we all get tested, but when is that protocol? As a side note, I want to assure you that he has completed each round of antibiotic as prescribed. Thanks. :?: :) :?:
I am a nurse. It could be that he really never gets rid of the first strep infection. Maybe he needs two repeated doses in a row to totally get rid of the infection. If he has had it that often,,,maybe it lingers and then rears its ugly head when his immunities are down. Perhaps they need to do a strep culture a week or so after his antibiotics are done to be sure that the strep is gone. Get rid of the toothbrush also....Wash his dishes on the hot rinse cycle, etc..
Old 05-19-2011, 01:09 AM

My grandaughter had strep many times over two years. Finally took her tonsils out....there was a pocket of infection that never totally went away. As a result she was more or less a 'carrier'....all three of her brothers were affected... All is well now.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:41 PM

When I was 30, I fought off 4 strep throat infections nearly consecutively.
My ENT told me that my tonsils needed to go.
They went... and I've never had strep again.

Word of advice, don't wait until you are 30 (or older for that matter.)
It was MOST unpleasant.
Everyone I tell this story to tells me that the surgery gets worse the older you get.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:26 PM

4 times in 4 months? I would think the Dr would talk to you about it and what, if anything, could be done. Dr. should also know this - years ago my daughter had walking pneumonia and they had to change her antibiotic as after several days she was worse, not better. Sometimes it can just be the wrong antibiotic for that particular germ. The new medicine fixed it for her.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:46 PM

Always replace your tooth brush at each strep event.