Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Summer Heat=Far Less Ambitious Sewing Projects >

Summer Heat=Far Less Ambitious Sewing Projects

Summer Heat=Far Less Ambitious Sewing Projects

Old 08-24-2019, 12:02 PM

Default Summer Heat=Far Less Ambitious Sewing Projects

I live in the Southwest United States. That means in the summer, unless your're lucky enough to have air conditioning, you don't do much-or more likely-no sewing past 85 or so degrees. I try to keep up my sewing skills by staying with smaller projects. Which is for me is either quilting block samples or small accessories like this sewing scarf I hand finished the closing just this morning.

Don't give up your sewing skills just because of some unavoidable situation like extreme temperatures or demanding life styles. You will always find a way of squeezing sewing/quilting in somehow.

Don't let the extreme length of the scarf distract you in any way. I did reduce them 50% but still is quite lengthly!
Attached Thumbnails hanging-scarf-1-.jpg   closing_turning-resize-50%25.jpg  

Last edited by Iona D.; 08-24-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:16 PM

If you look closely at the photo #2, you will see a part of my box fan. I use it in the middle of the day. Except for lightweight fabric like the rayon shown here. It would fly all over the place if the fan was on. So limited to the early morning time period.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:24 PM

Weather conditions do not stop me from sewing. In the summer months I just get to to less sewing during canning season. I figure in about a week there should be plenty of canning tomatoes then I will have to leave my sewing for a couple weeks, at least slow down, so I can process the veggies for the winter when it is super cold here an I don't get to go out very much.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

Yes, very hot and dry here in Texas. Been 2 months and no rain ! Your scarf looks nice but will be several more months before you could use here.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:02 AM

I live in FL, the heat and humidity here has been record breaking this summer. We do have A/C and dehumidifiers but I still feel like a shut in. No one goes out much except for groceries. No sewing buddies or guilds, they are suspended from May to September. I try to make myself sew small projects but it's more fun to sew and quilt with friends. I do go to the pool and gym so there is some socialization but no sewing.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:00 AM

Delaware temps don't compare to some but between high 80's - to high 90's with lots of humidity it gets to warm to sew in my studio without AC. Most summers i spend doing wool work in the house where I do have AC. it seems backwards to work on wools in the summer months but it allows me to keep busy with some type of hand sewing. We do what we have to do. LOL
Old 08-26-2019, 07:22 AM

I don't know how I do it, but I always manage to work on something that has to be quilted down during the heat of summer. This year has been muggy/hot for Seattle and like many other homes of our vintage (early 60s ranch house) we have no insulation, no AC, and casement windows that swing out and no screens... It's pretty miserable for me, I grew up in Alaska and am only comfortable below 70 degrees My sewing room is on the west side of the house, isn't bad first thing in the morning but like a parked car by 3:00 PM, so insomnia to the rescue! Sewing from 4 AM to noon.

My BFF from high school has just had a lumpectomy, I got a comfort quilt done for her in the heat. I figured having a quilt spread over my lap to hand bind at 85 degrees wasn't all that bad compared to what she was going through.

I have a small group that meets Tuesday and while some of us are often "just visiting" I try to have projects to work on while I'm there. Have decided that my planned quilting projects aren't very portable, so I've been quilting down donation quilts so I can take them to group to work on the bindings. Again, 85 degree days and I have a flannel back to work with. Next one up won't be flannel at least.

But doing all my activities in the morning is key to me, I'm just a hot uncomfortable grumpy slug by 4:00 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

Here in the Midwest we have heat and humidity, AC is a must for me. I don't get as hot as I use to and that helps. I sew, quilt all year long. I am not much at spending time outside, did that when I was younger.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

I'd get a window unit and keep it on insulation or not. At least cold air would be circulated instead of hot air from a fan. When DH and I married I told him he had to promise AC and hot water and I could live anywhere he wanted. He has kept that promise all these years. LOL I keep the house at 70 in the summer and 76 in winter. We live in West Central AR and it's not unusual to go over 100 degrees in the summer. Walk in most homes here and you need a sweater. A business or medical office you need an electric blanket. LOL
Old 08-28-2019, 01:32 PM

We don't have central AC, but we do have a few window units through out the house, two downstairs and two upstairs. I run all the ceiling fans and keep doors open for better circulation.

I still quilt in summer. If it's too hot, like last year was --in the 100s for days-- I just piece. Heat doesn't stop me from doing what I need to do to keep sane.