Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Summer Reading

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I just finished Stephen King's new novel, Under the Dome, yesterday. Awesome story, couldn't put it down!

I'm a big SK fan--when I start one of his books, any quilting goes on the back burner! And I too enjoyed "THE DOME"--finished in a week!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Cool!! I just downloaded it onto my Ipod. Taking it on vacay !!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I just finished "The Ocean Between Us" by Susan Wiggs. Amazing!!

Blog Entries
    Been reading the Quilting Board. Fun, educational, interesting!!

I too am a big Steven King fan. I have read almost everything he has written.
    I read the dome in four days. Everything else had to wait!! I am so glad he wasn't able to stay retired! His books are such good reads. :thumbup:

I just starte Nora Roberts the search

Blog Entries
    Okay, I admit it, Stephen King's novels scare the pants off of me!
    Is this one scary too? Do any of the main characters (of which I'm emotionally attached) die? Does it have zombies eating brains?

You can PM if you wish to not spoil the story for others...

ChickenMary :oops:

I've heard so much good about Under the Dome. So I looked for it at Wal-mart one day. No one bothered to mention that its the size of an encyclopedia. I love his books but that one just looks to long, and as we all know he can get a little over descriptive. So I decided to read a little while in the store before I made the $14 purchase(that could buy fabric). It reminded me of "The Stand". Someday I may get up the courage to read it, but for now I'll stick to easy reads. 400 pages or less that I get at the Good Will for 50 cents a piece.

Blog Entries
    Nora Roberts is my favorite author. The Search was an awesome book, I read it in about 7 hours. I also like her books written as J.D. Robb

Quote Originally Posted by purplemem
    Is this one scary too? Do any of the main characters (of which I'm emotionally attached) die? Does it have zombies eating brains?

Mary you got me laughing so hard!!! You have to admit (well no you don't really) that he is an amazing storyteller. I don't like horror but I love Stephen King!! He has a gift for incorporating into his novels love, friendship, kindness, etc. I know it sounds weird but I love the way he manages to put so many elements and emotions into a story. I love the guy!! I learned to take the bad with the good reading Mr. King :D

Speaking of letting everything go when you have a good book I'll never forget when I read Sophie's Choice by William Styron I practically neglected my family for several days!! It was a long one too and I simply could not put it down!

It was another great read from King. I enjoyed it.

I LOVED the Stand! I read alot of his older ones, not may of the new ones, will have to look for it!

Stephen King is my favorite horror writer and I loved "Under the Dome"!! I'd stopped reading some of his most recent works, especially if they were co-written, because they just didn't equate with his earlier books. I took a chance on "Under the Dome" and I'm glad I did!!

Quote Originally Posted by purplemem

It's not his typical scary ghost/vampire/werewolf/whatever book. I think you would like it. It gets gory in spots but he does not dwell on the gore, really. You will root for the good people and boo hiss the evil people. It's about helping each other in times of crisis and not losing your head. Although, people do panic and can easily be influenced by an evil town official.....can't give too much away. I really enhoyed it and don't think it was like his scary books.

Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    I've heard so much good about Under the Dome. So I looked for it at Wal-mart one day. No one bothered to mention that its the size of an encyclopedia. I love his books but that one just looks to long, and as we all know he can get a little over descriptive. So I decided to read a little while in the store before I made the $14 purchase(that could buy fabric). It reminded me of "The Stand". Someday I may get up the courage to read it, but for now I'll stick to easy reads. 400 pages or less that I get at the Good Will for 50 cents a piece.
    I found that the book goes by very quickly. The chapters are very small and next thing you know you have read 50 or so pages like nothing. Borrow a copy from you local library if you don't want to buy a copy. I think this book is as good as The Stand and even though The Stand miniseries was good, the book was better. Under the Dome will have you thinking, what would happen and how would I behave if I lived on this town.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the response.

I think I will check it out of the local library, I like a good, long read, just not a gross/depressing one.

I read The Cell and thought the idea was genius, but not the zombies. and hated the ending.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ksea
    Nora Roberts is my favorite author. The Search was an awesome book, I read it in about 7 hours. I also like her books written as J.D. Robb
    I want to read that one this summer. My friend has it and said I'd love it so she's going to loan it to me. There are 33 copies in the library system--everyone is on loan. Wow!

I have to admit, I haven't read any Steven King, mostly because of the "scary" reputation. That being said, I think two of my most favorite movies are SK movies, "Shawshank Redemption" and "Stand By Me." Both, outstanding flicks, not my "vision" of Steven King at all.

As for summer reading, I read the latest Janet Evanovich number book 16 something. Then another JE book, not very good, and now I'm reading something I just grabbed off the shelf in the library, "Elvis and the Grateful Dead." Elvis is a dog, and the dead are the mystery part of the book. Only into it four chapters, and so far so good.

Blog Entries
    I am reading Sisters of the Quilt by Cindy Woodsmall. I read the first book a few years ago. I was at the library and someone donated the comple trilogy. They told me I could have it and just to bring it back when done...Woohoo...all three books in one.I am rereading the first book...I forgot how much I enjoyed it. I do recommend this book! Happy reading

Blog Entries
    my summer reading is the QB :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    I have the new Tom Clancy book but I haven't even opened it.

Blog Entries
    I've been reading everything I get for free on my Kindle. Pretty good variety, enough to keep me entertained.