Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Supplies for pillowcase dressed >

Supplies for pillowcase dressed

Supplies for pillowcase dressed

Old 01-08-2023, 06:04 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
Default Supplies for pillowcase dressed

Our congregation is making dresses often called pillowcase dresses for a mission we support in Uganda. Does anyone know a good outlet for the bias binding to bind the arm holes and use as ties for the dresses. Also I would like to get some lace or trim for the tops and buttons as decorations for the pockets. Any ideas for sources for these items?
Old 01-10-2023, 06:27 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
Default Supplies for making Dresses for girls in Uganda

I think auto correct changed dresses to dressed since no one has responded with help. Should I put this in a different section? Hope you all have suggestions for buying bias binding tape and lace to create these little dresses for girls living in poverty in Uganda.
Old 01-10-2023, 06:45 AM

What a nice project for your church to jump into. I'm assuming pillowcases are not a need, otherwise spring cleaning for your congregation would be a perfect time to collect them. As far as binding tape - that could be expensive. I would buy a larger size Clover 'bias tape maker', make up long strips in solid colors.
Old 01-10-2023, 08:34 AM

When I've made pillowcase dresses, I lined the bodice. Whatever shape I cut the bodice into, I cut another piece just like it so that the white pillowcase was lined and because I hate using bias tape. LOL I used ribbon for ties at the shoulders and could choose a ribbon color to coordinate with the embroidery of the pillowcase.

Oh, wait... I made pillowcase dresses from vintage embroidered pilllowcases. If you're making them from scratch, and they're just the style, then lining the bodice wouldn't be as important as it is with white fabric. (duh, me..) But, lining is still an option.
Old 01-10-2023, 09:37 AM

What a wonderful thing you are doing. I've heard of these little dresses in the past & think it's a wonderful thing to make & send to the girls.
You might try contacting manufactures of bias tape & see if they are willing to donate some for your cause. I've found that sometimes companies like that have a certain amount that they will donate to each year. The worst thing that could happen would be that they say no....the best is that they send you tons of it. You might also tell them that any color can be used & that tape that didn't meet all the quality controls or discontinued colors would be acceptable also. If you need a specific width, be sure to mention that in the request.
I've been known to also include a link to the organization that I am helping & a contact name & number of someone who can verify that my request is legitimate so they don't think I'm using it for myself.
You could do the same with trim & lace & button manufacturers.
Old 01-10-2023, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

You could check charity shops for bias binding. I usually make my own bias binding from yardage.
Old 01-10-2023, 12:36 PM

Here are some manufacturers that you might ask for donations.

https://www.thomasnet.com/products/b...5193008-1.html
Old 01-10-2023, 02:53 PM

https://www.polkadotchair.com/pillow...ress-tutorial/
this is a cute one, ribbons.
Old 01-10-2023, 02:58 PM

Hobby Lobby is having a sale on their ribbon and trim right now. You might check there to see if their prices with the sale are reasonable.
Old 01-11-2023, 07:50 AM

I think I'd line the bodice and turn it. It seems to me it would be easier than messing with bias trim.