Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sweedish Weaving

Sweedish Weaving

Not exactly quilting, but has anyone here ever done Sweedish Weaving on Monk Cloth? I saw some completed table runners and blankets recently and loved it. There is a couple good tutorials on You Tube. I think I'm going to try it.

Blog Entries
    I've not done it but thanks for adding another project to my "I wanna try this" list!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Don't remember exactly when I did this, but if it involves yarn or thread and fabric, I've tried it at one time or another!

Depending on the size weave of the background fabric you use, you can create some really lovely pieces.

One word to the wise, don't use a loosely woven background (like the 1/4" square afghan fabric) for anything that will be washed unless you add some sort of stabilizer, like fusible interfacing. You also would want to check the colorfastness of your floss or yarn. As we all know certain colors have a tendency to run.

You could certainly use pieces you created with this method to make a lovely wall hanging or table runner. Don't think I'd want to use it for a bed quilt unless it was on the really tight weave background which of course means really small "floats" in your weaving.

Left out part of a sentence above - the size weave of the background determines whether you use floss or yarn and the number of strands.
    Last edited by mom-6; 06-17-2013 at 07:25 AM.

I used to have a couple towels that had them on the edges of them. I repurposed them as baby wash up towels. I have heard it also called chicken scratch or hardranger (sp?). Funny you should mention this. I found a large piece a couple weeks ago thrifting and I think I will make a pin cushion or pillow from it.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

I did huck toweling in the 60s and loved it. Can't tell you much more than that as it has been 40+ years, but I know I loved doing it. Of course I loved to do all types of embroidery by hand.
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

Here is the link to the post with the child's towel I made with the one I found. It is the fourth picture down from the top.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ts-t52506.html
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

I loved doing these -- did a number back in the day I work at a LQS/general fabric shop -- we had some of the fabric on a long roll several years ago. I was the only one in the shop that knew what it was used for. Seemed we used embroidery floss. Been many years back....

They called it huck weaving or some such name when I did it. I made several towels with different designs. I enjoyed it.

Blog Entries
    I have done it love it. I have a beautiful afghan that I made a few years ago and it covers the back of my lazy boy chair. It was fun, I'd do it again!
    Every Sunrise brings a blessing

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulalulu View Post
    I loved doing these -- did a number back in the day I work at a LQS/general fabric shop -- we had some of the fabric on a long roll several years ago. I was the only one in the shop that knew what it was used for. Seemed we used embroidery floss. Been many years back....
    Hulalulu, what would a tourist expect to find in Kauai as far as LQS? We plan to visit there for our 50th anniversary and I'm sure I'll be looking for quilt shops. We found a great one in Maui, but only ONE! Not so lucky in Oahu before that. I may have to get in touch with you before we make that big trip!
    Every Sunrise brings a blessing

Blog Entries
    How funny you should ask this. I just finished binding a quilt that was monk's cloth woven with variegated yarn. The maker backed it with polar fleece and tied it, then hired me to put the binding on. It was very warm on my lap!

Name:  monk closeup.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  228.5 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    How funny you should ask this. I just finished binding a quilt that was monk's cloth woven with variegated yarn. The maker backed it with polar fleece and tied it, then hired me to put the binding on. It was very warm on my lap!

Name:  monk closeup.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  228.5 KB
    Would love to see a picture of the whole quilt!!!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Quote Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
    Not exactly quilting, but has anyone here ever done Sweedish Weaving on Monk Cloth? I saw some completed table runners and blankets recently and loved it. There is a couple good tutorials on You Tube. I think I'm going to try it.
    Learned to do this when wintering in Fl. have made many afgans and lap blankets. Very easy just need to count a lot. We did ours with a pillow underneath which made it easier to put the needle through and not show on the back. Wish I had one to show gave them all away.
    Earleen The best helping hand is at the end of your arm.

Blog Entries
    Love the swedish weaving as a hand project. I'm using working on one while traveling in the motorhome. I've done all different sizes and patterns. It's very easy just weaving yarn in and out, up and down. I love using varigated yarn for these. You can do patterns on either end of the through or through the whole throw. You work from the middle of your fabric to each side. A lot of people use a large needle to weave, but I found a large flat needle that is perfect for doing this.
    Dreams Do Come True
    Good friends are like quilts - they age with you, yet never lose their warmth.

Blog Entries
    Swedish huck is beautiful when done, very simple but designs are lovely. I have some pieces handed down by my Swedish grandmother. Good luck. Edie - the Svenska Flicka!!!!!!
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Blog Entries
    I have several throw blankets that I have made.

Here are two links for Swedish Weaving: http://www.swedishweavedesigns.com/ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkxN1JGCuN4
    Hope these help you. Post photos of your progress!

My grandmother taught that to me when I was a kid along with tatting and embroidery. I haven't done any of it for over fifty years but it is nice to know it is still being done.
    Pat

I have a good friend who has done many throws using this method, and they are stunning.

Wow, looks pretty! I sholy don't need any more addictions!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I did a table runner as a school project when I was 13. It is easy to do and very effective when on the table. I still have it and I'm thinking of putting it under the glass lid of my embroidery floss box. I am sure you will enjoy doing it.

My great aunts taught me to do this when I was 8 years old. Spent many hours in their apartment in the attic listening and learning. Miss those lazy-hazy-day of summer.
    sapdoggie

Life is full of many pieces- why not quilt?

Yes I did some towels and an apron. I think the fabric is called huck toweling.

When I worked at Walmart, way back when, we had a lady from Arizona,that would come to visit her daughter here in Oklahoma. Before the lady would head for home, she would almost buy us out of Monk's cloth. We carried a lot and in different colors. She said she couldn't find what she wanted in Arizona. Boy, was that a day or two ago. LOL
    You can get older, but you never have to grow up! Tomorrow's just a future yesterday!-Greg Fergerson

We used to do this back in the early '50s. It was a great time passer! Its easy to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast