Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: T shirt dresses

T shirt dresses

Hi all...this is definitely not about quilting! Have any of you made a tshirt dress for a little girl, and cut the shirt off 4 inches below the sleeve? After the skirt is sewn on, will the little girl still be able to put it on over her head? (Since the fabric skirt won't "give" like a stretchy tshirt would). Hope this makes sense! I want to make a tshirt dress like this: t shirt wrap dress

I have never made one with the t-shirt cut 4 in below the sleeve but have made a lot with a dropped waist line. I did not have any problem using cotton fabric for the skirt area.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Can't answer your question but the dresses sure are cute!

If you click on the highlighted info in the first sentence, the pattern is for sale on Amazon.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Mom and I use to make them with polo shirts and they were wonderful. 2 polo shirts cut off one that is sized to fit and sew it to the bottom of a larger one so it is long enough.

It says it's a wrap dress. The skirt wraps around so it would slip over the head.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieLou View Post
    It says it's a wrap dress. The skirt wraps around so it would slip over the head.
    Actually, it's a fake wrap dress - it's just an extra layer of fabric that makes it look like a wraparound. I have some "Frozen" fabric I'd like to use, but I don't want to waste it, if they can't pull it over their heads!

Blog Entries
    I used to make these for my daughter & granddaughters. But I only cut about 6" off the bottom of the t-shirt & added a ruffle.
    TwandasMom

Blog Entries
    in the pic with the model, it looks fitted... but if you scroll to the directions, you can see that it is more straight up and down. yes, it will go over the head.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I have made them and there is no problem going over the head. Generally the T-shirt isn't to fitted so there is plenty of room.

I made two dresses for my two daughters in 1974. I had this beautiful fabric, and had to get two dresses out of it. I made the tops with knit (could be t-shirts), then cut the fabric in half so each girl got their share. When I sewed the cotton to the knit about waistline height, I stretched the knit as far as I could. After the seam was made, the knit relaxed, and the cotton looked like it was a little gathered. Plenty of room to put over the head. Those two girls wore their dresses a lot. They were not twins, but the younger one was tall for her age (she is 6' now) so they looked like twins. They called them their "dancer dresses".
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I use to make them for my girls ...shirt over the hips then gathered skirt