Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
T-shirt Ribbing for Baby Bib >

T-shirt Ribbing for Baby Bib

T-shirt Ribbing for Baby Bib

Old 01-02-2017, 07:17 AM

Default T-shirt Ribbing for Baby Bib

Our only grandchild, little girl, lives about a thousand miles away. She just turned 1. And she "lives" in bibs. I would like to make her a collection of holiday/occasion bibs. The ribbing will be used for a t-shirt-like neck for the bib. Eventually the bibs will have plastic sleeves with cuffs but that's something to work out when she gets to that point. I have a pattern for an apron and a crafting apron too; all of which could use ribbing. Another of the "when she gets to that point" projects.

I cannot find a local source for the soft ribbing that is used for the neckline and cuffs on t-shirts. Does anyone have a source and recommendations? I will not be needing exotic colors, etc. The plan is that all "really exotic bits" will be added by Grandmother as part of her learning to use the new sewing machine. Cross fingers everyone?

There are a number of sources for ribbing but I have never heard of any of them and they seem to be rather shy about identifying where they are and just what fabrics, notions, etc. they might sell but, in turn, want your whole life story. (Let's face it, I am always ready to make a good "source" discovery and order up a storm. But I am shy about giving info to unknown net addresses. Been royally hacked and didn't like it.)

So, help and recommendations are very much appreciated. The bib fabrics, etc. are sitting in my sewing room and sewing on them would be a pleasant way to start the year - dreaming about how she will look in them. (Her parents are wonderful about pics and videos.) Am I pitiful or what?

Happy New Year!
Old 01-02-2017, 05:01 PM

Nope, just a happy grandma. I have gotten ribbing at JoAnns in the past. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:25 PM

Look for the knit fabrics. Sometimes you can find it there in yardage.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:31 AM

Ribbing isn't as popular as it once was when more of us were sewing garments and using knits for shirts, etc. The last I got was at JoAnn's and it was mostly the basic colors. A hint--one of my friends who has daycare used the traditional bib pattern and put grippers and a length of grosgrain ribbon about the level of under the arms. It keeps the bib from flipping up and stays in place.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:09 AM

You reminded me of my favorite bibs when DS was younger. It was several hand towels with a hold in the center for his head. Loved those bibs. Now I want ribbing too.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:02 AM

Hope there is a good source I need some for 18" dolls
Old 01-03-2017, 06:29 AM

I used to find ribbing at Hancock's but I think it also available through Home
Sew catalogs.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:03 AM

I bought some a few years ago at a site that was for sewing for children. Sorry I don't remember the name.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:11 PM

I have always had good luck looking for it by calling it "cuff stuff". I think that may have been a brand name at one time (or currently?) but that is what I call it, and everyone seems to know what I am looking for. I try to match the fabric type to the "cuff stuff". You can also go to second hand stores or big box stores, and look for the shirts that are called "wife beaters" (skinny sleeveless T-shirts) they are usually made from this type of fabric. You can make quite a few bib necklines with one shirt. I have even used fabric pens to add designs to the neckline. Just be sure to set the ink before using.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:30 PM

I just looked it up on Joann.com and found this: http://www.joann.com/fabric/?q=ribbi...prefv1=Product. See if any of these will work.