Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: take a trip back in time

Quote Originally Posted by madelinkk
    My first boyfriend drove a '57 Chevy.
    Mine, too!!

thanks

There is an online candy store here in Ohio that sells the candy from yesteryear!!! You can get candy from the 50's, 60's etc. They even go back farther on some things. Last Christmas I send a big bag to my brother in Texas and his daughter could not believe some of the stuff we used to eat. He got a big kick out of it and said it took him back to memory lane.

I remember all of those. I still have the dishes and glasses. My mother and grandmother saved them to make a large set to give me as a wedding gift 40 years ago.

Yes,I remember and I sure would like for it to be that way again.

Nabisco Shredded Wheat had little cards with American Indian folk lore and crafts. I loved them!

Blog Entries
    I remember everything except the Nabisco thing -- I never liked cold cereal. Shredded Wheat was something my grandmother ate. I always liked Captain Midnight and Froggy, as well.

My brothers and I agree that discipline was a good thing.

I'd settle for just a few years ago when my kid still thought I was cool enough to hang out with. :(

I remember most of those things, but I love my cell phone too.

A 57 Chevy is still a dream car but it takes an absolute fortune to buy one. I saw one on the Barrett Jackson auction for for over $100,000.

Blog Entries
    We left on our honeymoon in a brand new 57' chevy. It was so pretty. I remember the jOys of listening to radio long before TV.

Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana
    I started reading and couldn't stop. I remember everything in the list. Instead of eating Kool-Aid with sugar (maybe it hadn't been invented yet), we ate something called Lik-m-aid in a pouch that looked just like Kool-Aid. I probably didn't spell it correctly, but it has been a very long time ago.

Yup...I remember...fondly!!! I tried to give my boys a little bit of that when they were growing up. We were fortunate to live in a rural setting that I COULD let them ride their bikes to their friends'. And we had a small "corner store" that still carried penny candy. Not quite as inexpensive as when I was a kid, but fun for them all the same.

And I agree with catrancher...although they were "better" times, I also like my cell phone!!! LOL I can connect to all you wonderful people no matter where I am!!

Patti

Oh my, what a wonderful trip I've just had by reading that list, the memories it brings back. It makes me wonder what our children will get nostalgic about in 50 or so years time when they look back.

I remember those times!!

and hula hoops....loved those

I asked my 17 year old son if he knew what oly,oly oxen free meant and he said yes,it happens when you call out for hide and seek. I guess I did well.

CJOMOMMA I remember all of those things. I grow up on a dairy farm. My brothers and sisters and I had so much fun.. When we get togather we talk about the old time as what we call it. There is 7 of us our children look at us like we are all crazy. But we did have alot of fun. It sure is not like today. The kid are either playing video games or on their computers..No jump rope or donkey, kick ball,hide insec we were outside playing all the time...

i can add to these memory's How about spoolie curlers, orpetticoats you had to pin up because the elastic broke or sprinkleing your laundry wiht a pop bottle and a cap wiht holes in it. and we walked to school no mater how far it was. That's just what ya did back then.and you could get a nice size bag of penny cany for mere penny's. i could go on and on.nice memories

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I am so glad everyone seems to be enjoying these memories. I remember a few of them, well maybe more than a few. LOL. I wish my kids could experience my childhood, the freedom and all the fun playing outside til the sun went down. My folks never had to worry about where I was or someone snatching me up.
    It is a crying shame that todays world has gotten so bad.

Thanx for the memories. Those were the good ol' days

Yep, I remember those things too. I remember going to our neighborhood gas station (I lived in Chicago) and got a "tiger tail" and "tiger cup" from Corky, the attendant. We had a lemonade stand in front of our house for people who were going to Wrigley Field for a Cubs game. We would go to our local A & P store and collect Green stamps and look through the catalog for hours making our wish lists. Oh, what wonderful days those were. It's sad that progress has progressed to today!

Blog Entries
    I remember those. Funny you mentioned war, the card game. I taught my 2 DGD's to play. The little one was playing with her DGF (aka Papa) and while he went to the bathroom, she rearranged the cards so she would win!

I had one heck of a time trying to explain to my granddaughter, age 6, what a record album was. We were at a restaurant that was decorated with the 50's style and they had records on the wall. I finally just told her it was like a great big CD. Love all these memories!

Blog Entries
    You don't remember all that stuff! you don't look THAT old!
    However, I DO remember all that stuff!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast