Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking Vitamin D

I take 2 drops every day I remember it... and have been giving to my dh too....

I have been taking vitamin D too. Once a week I also take a megadose prescribed by my doctor. It plays major in your energy levels. I feel great!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Bella, my doctor also prescribed it for me. I just have to remember to take it!!
    This summer has been so beastly hot that I've been inside more than usual.
    So thanks for the reminder :D

I have been taking 50,000 units every fifth day and 2000 units on all the other days. I go off for a while and felt the difference. Regular bloodwork shows that I keep my level at an acceptable level.

From what I have read Doctor's are prescribing vitamin D a lot to people nowadays. A recent report in Canada stated that the cost of testing for vitamin D levels has increased significantly to the point where they don't want to do anymore testing. However, my doctor also prescribed vitamin D for me as he said my body isn't absorbing it from the sun....

My doc also told me to take Vitamin D; I'm not so tired anymore.

I used to have an issue with periodic depression. I now take 2000 units of Vit. D every day and have noticed a huge difference. I rarely find myself being depressed anymore.

My doctor said to take vitamin D3 (5,000IU) because it helps the absorbtion of the calcium, which I also take.
    He also said to take Vitamin K2 for the same reason.
    These are taken daily. Since women have a problem with osteoporosis these will help our body to absorb more of the calcium. A urine test will show how much your body is absorbing and how much is being lost in urine.

Blog Entries
    About two years ago I was diagnosed with RA. The RA Dr. took tests and gave me a script for 50,000 units a day...of Vit.D. (Yes, 50,000 units a day. I was that low.) One capsule and I was sewing instead of napping!

I am now on maintenance of 1,000 units a day and doing fine. I do have Arthritis but not that bad.

Amazing difference one little vitamin made.

My doc just did blood tests and said I needed Vit D too.He called in a prescription but I can't afford to get it filled so I am just going to take OTC D I have already. Hopefully it will work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by damaquilts
    My doc just did blood tests and said I needed Vit D too.He called in a prescription but I can't afford to get it filled so I am just going to take OTC D I have already. Hopefully it will work as well.
    Just realize that a prescription may be for 50,000 units and the OTC pill may only be 400 units. That's quite a difference, so don't expect anywhere near the same effect. Maybe you could take a couple of pills a day, at least.

As for not being able to afford it, some supermarket pharmacies are filling generics and such for only a small fee, $10 or less. It can't hurt to go in an ask the pharmacist if there's any way he can help you.

I also take D, always deficient when I get a blood test, although Dr. only said 2,000 for me...

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    I was also told to take vitamin D and spend 15 minutes every day in the sun without sunscreen. Then put on the sunscreen!

My Mom has alzeimers & her Dr. recommeded vitamin D cause it helps with memory as well.

My doctor said my D was very low and said I should take it every day with my calcium/D combo. The symptom I'm looking to fix is leg and foot cramps that often get me up at night. She said it should work. I thought cramps came from low calcium and or magnesium so this was news to me. Started today.

What strength of vitamin D do you take and do you take it all year round?

My Vitamin D is extremely low. I take a prescribed dosage of 52,000 units weekly. It is one capsule. I cannot take over the counter brand. I have been able to tolerate the prescribed one.

Blog Entries
    When I found out I had Osteo, my doc told me to take V-D twice a day and also calcium with D twice a day. He didn't tell me how much though. I take 3200 iu daily. He's on vacation, if I can remember I'll ask him when he gets home. He's also my SIL so that helps greatly. We don't do naked though. I only go to him with things I can keep my clothes on. YUK, imagine getting naked for your SIL. He has had mothers of friends that come to him, then he has to sit across the dinner table with them. YUK

Doesn't 'bare' thinking about!!!

We are very lucky in Scotland as once we reach 60 years all our prescriptions come free. One advantage of getting older!!

Blog Entries
    I take 2000 per day and get it very inexpensively at Costco.Huge bottle lots of tiny pills under $20.00 lasts for months for me and DGD.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisanne
    Quote Originally Posted by damaquilts
    Just realize that a prescription may be for 50,000 units and the OTC pill may only be 400 units. That's quite a difference, so don't expect anywhere near the same effect. Maybe you could take a couple of pills a day, at least.

As for not being able to afford it, some supermarket pharmacies are filling generics and such for only a small fee, $10 or less. It can't hurt to go in an ask the pharmacist if there's any way he can help you.
    Well I should have said I can't afford it until I get my next check . That is more accurate. The Vit D I have is 2000 IU. each And he only wanted me to take on 50,000 a week. I don't do well on anything in a massive dose like that so I am just going to ration these through the week. I will have to take 4 a day but that is not a problem . I can break them up morning and afternoon. I have other things I take through out the day anyway. I will see if this does anything then if not get the prescription one.

I am one of those people that drugs should be tested on. If there is a weird side effect I can tell with in days of taking it sometimes hours. Very very sensitive.

i take it, i take a 50,000 unit pill every Monday nite
    at the first of each month I get a B-12 shot. My system, due to pancreatic cancer, 10 yrs ago, does not absorb and keep the two vitamins going, so that is why I will be taking these for life. They do work. YOU will feel better, not immediately on the B-12, but eventually.

I live in a city where the clinic does alot of research on different things. I was in one that tested for vitamin D levels mine was low so I had to start taking the vitamin, after several months I had to redo the study and once again my level was way down, the doctor told me to take it for the rest of my life. I'm now on a world wide study on breast cancer the study is coming out of Canada. There is a medication that they are postive it will prevent breast cancer. I'm in the study for 5 years and if I happen to be in the group that is getting the placebo they will give me 5 years of pills (they think that is all you need to take to prevent the cancer). Right now women from Canada who have had breast cancer can take this pill and it will prevent reoccurents of the cancer. The older a person gets the more chance you have of getting breast cancer.

Some medications leach vitamin D from our bodies.My GP gives me a booster series of shots and it really helps.(Has something to do with my age, I think...)A better alternative to bone density problems.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast