Taking Vitamin D

Old 08-21-2010, 05:36 PM

I am Diabetic and fight depression and bi polar....I have phscrisis ( spelling wrong hope you know what I mean...dry patches on the skin) really bad but since I take Vit D and a MultiVitamin twice daily and the sunshine for 10 to 15 minutes this is helping greatly with the phscrisis...but it has been a very slow process but I am finally seeing results....
Old 08-21-2010, 06:02 PM

I've been told that there is more skin cancer where people
DO use sunscreen.

I've also been told that people who live in hot places don't get skin cancer as much as those who live in more temperate climates.

NOT being in the sun, which we were made to do as humans,
seems unnatural. I think the doctors are now beginning to
believe that a little bit of natural foods and living in the sunlight
might be good for you.

But wait till next year!!
Old 08-21-2010, 06:59 PM
Power Poster

Wow!! I do take calcium with D once a day. Dr told me I should take it twice a day but I usually (always) for get the sencon time.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Dee

My doctor put me on Vit. D3 and calcium and folic acid.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:39 PM

I work for a Dr it is amazing how many women need Vit.D. We have patient asking to be tested for Vit D. and almost all of them are low in Vit D.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:04 PM

I've taken Calcium with D for over 25 yrs. and after reading some medical reports about 7 yrs ago started taking D3. My DR. checks my D levels yearly and they are fine. Of course, being on a farm, I am also outside in the sun on a daily basis, all year long and there is always some part of my skin (usually my hands/arms)that are not covered or do not have sunscreen.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:14 PM

I saw Dr. Andrew Weil on Dr. Oz awhile back and he said that you must take your Vitamin D with a meal that has fat. It needs the fat to break it down. He specifically said do not take it with breakfast as there usually isn't enough fat in our breakfasts and recommended taking it with dinner.

My daughters and I all were tested and we are all quite deficient in D. We are supposed to be taking supplements and my dr. said not to take the calcium with D as that doesn't have enough of the D. She said take plain calcium and plain Vitamin D. As soon as my bottle of calcium with vitamin D added is empty I'm going to do as my dr says.

I sure hope it helps me with my energy levels and depression!
Old 08-21-2010, 11:19 PM

Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin, which means that you can overdose on it. The 4 vitamins that are fat-soluble are A, D, E, and K. You should always be careful with the doses of these vitamins, so as not to overdo it. Fat-soluble means that the vitamins are stored in your liver and the fatty tissues in your body. It's always wise to check with your doctor or pharmacist about what is the proper dosage of these supplements to take as an individual to reach optimal benefit without doing harm. :-D
Old 08-21-2010, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
My doc just did blood tests and said I needed Vit D too.He called in a prescription but I can't afford to get it filled so I am just going to take OTC D I have already. Hopefully it will work as well.
The prescription is probably for a higher does than available OTC. I don't think the prescription for Vit D is too expensive. Have you checked with your pharm re cost?

I am another who had low blood levels of Calcium and D so my MD got me back on both again. Have heard reports of cardiac problems in women associated with supplimental Calcium, so cut back dose in half until I see my PCP again.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by nellebelles
Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin, which means that you can overdose on it. The 4 vitamins that are fat-soluble are A, D, E, and K. You should always be careful with the doses of these vitamins, so as not to overdo it. Fat-soluble means that the vitamins are stored in your liver and the fatty tissues in your body. It's always wise to check with your doctor or pharmacist about what is the proper dosage of these supplements to take as an individual to reach optimal benefit without doing harm. :-D
Hummmm..stored in fatty tissue...might that explain the wonderful addition of bumby cellulite lately? I hate it...have always been at or below a decent 98# but 2 1/2 years after 11 days in ICU...I'm not happy with weight gain.