Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tap Water For Iron

Tap Water For Iron

I need to steam press some fabric and I was wondering it was ok to use regular tap water or bottled spring drinking water in my iron?
    "Our deeds determine us as much as we determine our deeds" George Eliot

I have a Rowenta and it says to use tap water. Previous cheap iron, though, needed distilled water.
    Lori

It depends totally on your iron. I've had a couple of different Rowenta's and each have said different things. One wanted tap; the other distilled. If you don't have the manual for your iron still (and how many of us keep those?), check on-line. If in doubt, spray your fabric with tap water and then iron. Same end result.

Yes, it depends on the instructions that came with your iron. I too have a Rowenta that tells me to use tap water.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I have to use distilled water because I have well water and it leaks red rust all over my fabric if I don't.

Is your tap water "softened"? Makes a difference.
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    In the past I always used distilled water in my iron. My Black & Decker that I have now says to use tap water in it.

I don't put water into the iron. I use a spray bottle filled with distilled water. My steam presser requires distilled water.

We are on well water and it leaves mineral build up after awhile.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

It depends on the mineral content of your water. For me tap water means I use half tap water and half distilled water.

We have hard water and in the past when I used tap water it clogged up my Rowenta. Now I just use a spray bottle with tap water.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

dd
    When they say tap water, they are usually counting on it being town water. I have very hard well water and no way was I using that in my iron, any iron, even though the Rowenta called for tap water. I have always used distilled water.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

I just bought a new Black and Decker digital iron and the directions say to use only tap water. If you have your instructions check them.
    Families are like quilts, lives pieced together, stitched with smiles and tears, colored with memory and bound by love.

The instructions that came with my iron said to use tap water, but that it must be drained when I am finished ironing. I got tired of doing that, so now I have a spray bottle.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    I use distilled water. Don't trust my well water.

My Rowenta calls for tap water, but like others I have well water with high iron. I use the bottled spring water instead. It's like .63 at Walmart.

Lots of minerals in the water in Nebraska. No matter what the directions say, I use distilled water in my irons. Keeps them working lots longer.

I buy bottled drinking water- not distilled -from anywhere and use it in a Rowenta I bought at a garage sale for $.10---yes a dime-- not a problem so far---our small town water is supposed to be treated and I have a water softner but think the drinking water works better

My iron called for tap water, but not treated water. Since all the water in our house has come through a softener and some other machine that removes nitrates, etc., I guess I have to use rainwater?
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

Blog Entries
    My water has a very high mineral content. It leaves white flakes everywhere. I have a Britta (I think) pitcher and use filtered water from that in my iron. I have a Pur filter on my fridge & kitchen sink faucet. I didn't buy the filter pitcher just for my iron - I originally used it to filter my drinking water.
    TwandasMom

Blog Entries
    depends on the iron- if you have the 'booklet' that goes with your iron it should tell you which type it is- some irons leak horribly if you use distilled water- and recommend tap water- others are the opposite- if you do not have the book for your iron you may be able to find out on line- visit the website.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
    It depends totally on your iron. I've had a couple of different Rowenta's and each have said different things. One wanted tap; the other distilled. If you don't have the manual for your iron still (and how many of us keep those?), check on-line. If in doubt, spray your fabric with tap water and then iron. Same end result.
    I have every manual in a titled folder and in a file box. All sewing and knitting room items are kept in a specific binder. All instruction sheets, receipts and warranty's are in this binder. I keep all inter-facings with the directions pinned to the individual types. I also keep a copy of each instruction sheet in a folder as a backup.

What does the instruction booklet say? Look it up on the net and find out.

Seems like the newer irons say to use tap water. I had a teacher once that said she only used tap water. Her figuring was she dropped the iron so much anyway that the iron would probably quit working from that than using the wrong water.

I always use filtered water. I figure it can't hurt and why get a build up if you don't have to. I have had many Rowenta irons and they always leaked no matter what I did. So I went back to Black and Decker. Got one at GW on Friday for $10, new in the box.
    Debra

I have a cheap iron from Walmart that says to just use tap water. Our water is so hard that I tend to mix distiled water with tap water to use
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast