Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Taxes

DH is self employed, so we pay quarterly according to an estimate. Our accountant calls me and reminds me to bring everything in each quarter. She does that because one year I brought 6 months at a time. I'll never do that again!

Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
    Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    I think I'm gonna get my cat a social security number so I can claim him as a dependent... :roll: :roll:
    I think Tinkerbelle should have one. After all she owns the house and me!!!And with the cost at the VET, we should be able to take off her medical bills also..... :wink:

Terri, You get to take off Big Boy don't you???
    I'd love to take him off on my taxes. Just food alone for the year is almost $1200!!
    But, I just LOVE it when we move! I do get to deduct the cats. They go under Moving Expenses. I can claim their vet bills, health certificates AND their flights! WOOHOO!! lol

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    Does everyone have their taxes filed yet?
    I just got mine finished. UGH! Hate doing taxes!!
    I always wait until the last minute. I figure if I'm getting a refund, I've waited this long for the money, I can wait a little longer. If I've got to pay, THEY can wait until the LAST minute to get it from me! lol
    But, this year we are getting money back, thanks to a HUGE moving expense we were able to claim. We always split the refund....1/3 for me, 1/3 for hubby and 1/3 on the biggest owed credit card, which this year, will be paid off by the refund. :):):)
    thats what we normal do too, but this yr used it to move...

I work for Block..for 3 more days :lol: :lol: :lol: Can't wait to get out of there Wed. night!! Hopefully it won't be midnight! Mine have been taken care of for quite a while already!!

Pete always waits until the night of April 14th to sit down and Turbo our taxes. We owe and so we wait until the 15th to write that check to the IRS.

Blog Entries
    Filed mine back in January.. Used part of it for my flight to Vegas and holding a few bucks back just in case..In this economy you just never know anymore :roll: But a couple years I had to pay and trust me I was in line at the post office at 11:30 pm.. wasn't gonna rush to pay them :lol:
    Sharon

I always do ours fairly early, because we need to do that before I can file the FAFSA for my college students!

We try to make sure we are not paying in more than we owe them -- no point in giving the government a free loan. As someone else said, they would expect interest from us if we didn't pay it right away, but they hang on to our "overpayment" all year without paying a penny of interest to us.

MCH
    Speaking of taxes...some of which are, but many are implemented at the federal, state, and local levels under the guise of "fees".

The "fee" I have to pay to the city for the dog license is NOT a fee. It's a TAX for having a dog.

The "fee" I pay to the city for a piece of paper to put near my front door, stating I've paid the city fee for having a whole-house alarm is a TAX! (The Chief of Police has publicly said officers will no longer respond to burglar alarms unless someone verifies, first, that a burglary is in progess...you don't even want to hear what I think about him and THAT!)

The"fee" I pay to the State of CA Dept. of Motor Vehicles to register my car is a TAX because I own a car. I'm still trying to figure out what actual service the DMV provides to citizens. It all looks like overhead to me.

Think about all those "fees" you play, folks.

Here's my thought on how to mitigate that. It's very simple, really.

Let's start a national movement to have election day changed from the first Tuesday in November to April 16. How do you think that change would impact the political campains...be they local, state, or federal.

As it is, the November elections occur almost 6 month to the day after April 15. If folks were to vote the day after they had paid their taxes, the politicians wouldn't be able to lie, cheat, trot out their smoke and mirrors' economic packages, and be able to convince a majority of the electorate that others aren't paying enough in taxes or paying their "fair share".

The pain of the tax would be all to fresh in folks' minds and they would vote accordingly, not having been lulled by smooth and targeted political rhetoric that promises to take care of everyone's problems!

Two-hundred and thirty-three years ago (1776) we had just ended a revolution protesting taxes that are miniscule in comparison to what gets sucked out of our pockets today!

Just think about what political campaigns and their immediate and long range costs would be to Americans if election day were April 16.

IMHO :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by Piedmont Quilter
    Filed our taxes on 3/2/09. Got the federal refund on 3/13/09. Still have not seen the refund from the state of NC. Something about the state is running out of money and they are processing refunds as they have the money. Now - if I owed and and did not pay by 4/15/09, would they charge me interest? ABSOLUTLY!!!!!! But they own me and not going to pay me interest - just using the tax payer as a bank. Wish I could move to a state that does not have state income tax ~ ~ but I like living in NC too much to make that drastic a change.

PQ
    I changed my withholdings so I always owe taxes. I guess a refund would be nice but I put money in a savings account every month. So I'm earning interest on the money that I'm not giving to the state until tax day.

MCH: Yep, change Election Day to April 16th!!!

I agree with Cathe. Adjust your withholdings so the government doesn't hold your money all year long. Put the extra money in something that will pay interest. Or at the very least, reduce and eliminate any debt you may have. I wish there was a flat tax. It would be so much easier. This is a stressful time of year for so many people.

I've worked in a CPA's office for the past 22 years. I am just about to crawl under the covers and sleep for a week. One more day!!!!!

MCH.........Very well said :thumbup: You've got my vote....April 16th. :wink:

Blog Entries
    already got my refund! My hubby files online and used to do taxes for others. :mrgreen:

this year, they owe us money. you know what that means.

ever notice how, if you put together the words THE and IRS it spells THEIRS?

I totally agree that elections should be held on April 16. Do you think it's a coincidence that November is as far away as you can get from tax day??

Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    this year, they owe us money. you know what that means.

ever notice how, if you put together the words THE and IRS it spells THEIRS?
    Ah ~ that's just too funny :lol: I have never noticed that - and your right. As far as my state refund - it's still theirs cause it's still not mine.

PQ
    Rebecca

I hate doing taxes! Every year I say I am going to get it out of the way early and every year I'm at the computer on the 15! I did taxes this morning. We were doing well until I plugged in the gas lease bonus we got :( We still will be getting some back but boy did that make a dent in it. Ah well at least we got that extra money from the lease in the middle of last year. No state taxes in Texas so I guess we are fortunate there. At least it's done for another year. Did I mention I hate doing taxes!

It's like someone said on a earlier thread, if IRS owes us, they take their everloving time and just put us on the back burner, BUT if we owe IRS, they expect us to dish out immediately, doesn't matter if it's 3 or 4 thousand dollars and how are we gonna come up with that much money so quickly in these terrible economical times. Did I mention they also zap us with INTEREST? :hunf:

I work for an accountant. It would be great to have elections on April 16th, however all the accountants and people who do taxes would be to exhausted to go vote. I am exhausted. I still have to go to work tomorrow and finish up the e-files and do some payroll then I have 6 days off!!! YEAH!! I may sleep half of that, and spend the rest of it getting reaquainted with my DH.
    I survived another year, it 8:15, maybe it's bedtime. Hope everyone got their taxes in on time. Mine ended up getting extended along with about 40 other clients'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2