Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: tele marketers grrrrrrrr

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scraps View Post
    Do not call list and caller id -----end of problem :-)
    Not with the politicians or non-profit. There are loopholes so they can make their calls. I can't imagine how many we would get if telemarketers could still call.

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    Just Hang UP!!! It is YOUR phone!! Why are we (as women especially) so afraid we might hurt someone's feelings, someone we have never met and will never meet!! Do them a favor and hang up so they can get on to their next call.
    Exactly. What is to discuss? They identify; you say no, do not call again, then hang up the phone. Then go quilt or something...

Blog Entries
    WE have been on the do not call list ever since it came out for all our phones and we still get the calls. Anytime you purchase something somewhere I think they pick up the number and feel free to call forever. Lately, we have been getting some ridiculous calls wanting to sell gloves and so on for lots of money. Telling them to remove your number does no good and they usually call with a blocked number so you can't even report them. I just tell them I have no money and if it real important to donate I would do it in my own home town. Then I know where the money is.

I had one this morning that just wouldn't take "no thank you" for an answer...I have had the same group call about every month...and my answer is the same every time...no...
    I finally decided to bend his ear....told him that the dog made a mess in the house and went on to describe it in detail...lol...when I heard him start to hem and haw a bit...I finally said" I have told you no, numerous times....if you call again, I will consider it harassment and report you.
    He hung up! hehe
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

That is why I use caller id, if it is someone important they will leave a message, which I check for immediately. I have also had them send me a text on my mobile phone. I have unlimited, but for those who don't this can cost them a lot of money.
    Ilma

I find the politicians worse than the tele-marketers.At least the TM`s are just doing a job.The politicians are lying to us.

when they want to know who you are voting for, tell them "The candidate who calls me the LEAST".

we aren't getting too many calls from telemarketers, but during a election year I had a candidate call my cell phone, because she called my cell I did not vote for her.

Blog Entries
    I don't answer the phone to 800-888-877 - really any number that starts with an 8. If they are a legitimate business with a legitimate concern then they will leave a message and we either pick up or get back with them. If I end up on the phone with a telemarketer I try very much to be polite and usually hang up after at least one NO THANK YOU. When the person yells at me that obviously I am too stupid to understand what a good deal I am missing - the gloves are off (for the fun of it).
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

We received 22 telemarketing calls day before yesterday and 17 yesterday. They insist on talking to my husband who supposedly filled out an on-line survey - not. I finally redid our message to tell them to take us off their list. Tried turning off the answering machine and not answering, but the phone was ringing 15 times before they hung up! I had one number that kept calling when I had told them about five times to take us off the list. I told the gal that I had told them repeatedly to take us off the list. Then I proceeded to blow a refree-style whistle in her ear. They didn't call the rest of yesterday. I'll try the # sign hint, since I have to listen to the whistle, too!

I received a telemarketer call on my cell phone yesterday. That was a first for me. I've had that cell number for over ten years and never had them call it before. I hope this doesn't mean that my number has found its way on to some yucky list.

Blog Entries
    I have caller ID and very seldom answer an 800 number caller and never answer one that says unavailable and if one does get through I just say just a minute I will get that person for you then I just lay the phone down and go about whatever I was doing when I finally hear the steady beep beep I hang the phone up rude maybe but they are rude calling me usually around a meal time

Blog Entries
    I'll have to try the pound sign thing. I usually cut them off mid sentence, say no and hang up. I have been known to say "can you hold on for a moment?", lay the phone down and walk away.

Lynn
    Start the Process
    Don't fail because you
    are afraid to
    Start the Process

I must be one of the last people on earth to get caller id but I added it a couple of months ago. Now I just don't pick up the phone if I don't recognize the number. Love it!!!
    Pat

I have no problem saying no to telemarketers. Once a young man called and I asked: What are you wearing? His reply: Mamm? I repeated my question, it threw him for a loop, HE HUNG UP ON ME. I got so tickled, however my hubby failed to see the humor. (Men!!) He said he might try to call me again when he wasnt home, I knew by the tone of the kids voice that would never happen.

Blog Entries
    I love the number 000-000-0000. Definitely know that is a political call!

Just a warning...there is a new scam out there. A man or woman calls and says they are your oldest grandchild. You will supply the name. They are in trouble, hurt or in jail in a foreign land and need money. Beware this is a scam to get your money. I know my grand children's names so if they want you to identify them be suspicious. I have gotten called twice, by a male and a female with variations on a scheme. I did not bite and they hung up abruptly. Best to hang up and then if you really think it was a family member call them back. You can always give an apology and explain but you won't get your money back if it is a scam.
    two simple rules for success
    1. Show up.
    2. Pay attention.
    One simple rule for happiness
    1. Kindness counts.

It's really very simple. If you don't recognize the number on the caller ID, don't answer. If it's important they will leave a message and you can decide if you want to return the call.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Blog Entries
    I donít have a problem with telemarketers but I live in New Hampshire, state of the first primary in the nation, and for weeks leading up to our primary election we were bombarded with political calls, many of them taped recordings.
    My phone never rang so much, or my message machine so full!!
    You can choose to live your live as though nothing is a miracle; or as though everything is a miracle!

I always hang up on them.

Blog Entries
    I have to add to this: This happened to my grandfather, who is close to 90. My "cousin" called him from Canada and said, "Don't tell mom or dad, just help me out". This guy knew my cousin's name and my granddad's name. Luckily, my granddad is such an @$$ that he didn't care if any of his grandkids end up in jail. But the scammers had done their homework and knew the background information.

About a year ago, I started getting calls from a very hard-to-understand man on my cell phone (that I never give out. Ever.) that my father had taken out a pay-day loan and had put me down as a reference and he was late on payment and I needed to pay his loan or go to jail. I laughed and told him to come and arrest me! I'm still walking the streets, even though he (or someone else in the "call center") continued to harrass me until I changed phone numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by kellen46 View Post
    Just a warning...there is a new scam out there. A man or woman calls and says they are your oldest grandchild. You will supply the name. They are in trouble, hurt or in jail in a foreign land and need money. Beware this is a scam to get your money. I know my grand children's names so if they want you to identify them be suspicious. I have gotten called twice, by a male and a female with variations on a scheme. I did not bite and they hung up abruptly. Best to hang up and then if you really think it was a family member call them back. You can always give an apology and explain but you won't get your money back if it is a scam.

I love your dogwood quilt avitar, do you have a pattern for it or did you just make it up?

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
    Be sure and add, "Remove me/him/her from your list and do not call back". Legally, they aren't supposed to call back after you tell them this. Sometimes it works. But if you don't say those magical words (or something to that effect) they will keep calling.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Some yrs back a friend of mine had a telemarketer tell her that her husband had told him to call back. The funny thing was her husband had been deceased for several yrs at that point.
    Janet E.
    Boonville, MO

There is an national do-not call list. Find it o n the internet. It works! and makes life so muc h more pleasant. Do be aware, does not exclude companies you have done business with, political, and charitable organizations.

Blog Entries
    I try to be polite and say "I 'm not interested and please remove me from your list" but here lately its an alarm system co. calling daily I've been tempted to have them come check out my security system Smith-N-Wesson and my 3 ankle biters But I will be nice and try using the lb key --first

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast