Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
tell me about your vacuum cleaner >

tell me about your vacuum cleaner

tell me about your vacuum cleaner

Old 09-01-2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
4 longhaired cats, 1 short haired cat, 1 longhaired dog and 1 longhaired me! (I think I may shed more than the cats!) I have a Dyson and wouldn't go any other way. Yeah the price of em will put you in sticker shock but they are wonderful vaccuums. If and when this one goes to the big vaccuum cleaner dustbin in the sky I will replace with another Dyson.
I have a Dyson and 2 giant, long-haired dogs. While it picks up everything, everytime I empty the canister I also must unwrap the dog hair from the floor brush. It usually takes me longer to pull the dog hair off that round floor brush then it takes me to vacuum the floor.

What is the secret? Do I have the wrong Dyson model?
Old 09-01-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by doris.meek13088
I know Dyson can be pricey but I will never buy another brand again.
Me too! Especially if you have pets.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:31 PM

I love my Dyson---it's well worth the extra money.

Remember, you don't have to buy those vacuum bags either.

I have a very hairy Black Lab....
Old 09-01-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by julia58
I have a wonderful rainbow. Best vacuum on the market. They are quite expensive. But worth every penny.
Didn't know those were made anymore.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:34 PM

We go through vacuum cleaners like they're disposable in my house. Things "break" on them, usually the plastic parts that are used to hold movable pieces (like the plastic brackets in the head that "hold" the roller bar in place, the plastic tabs that "click" together to open or hold close hinged parts like canister lids). I've rarely had a problem with the actual motor's - it's all the cheap plastic parts that break and because they're often part of the "whole" vacuum - not cost effective to "replace" them. I have 3 large long haired dogs, so we vacuum DAILY. We also take the vacuum apart fairly often (3-5 times/year) and clean (with soap and water) all the parts that we can. So yes, we are stressing all of the pastic parts more than the average user.

Well ... last vacuum died on day 367. Seriously. It was a Eureka. It worked great until the day it died. Lots of things I really liked about it too. Too bad.

My husband had always balked at buying pricey vacuums, mostly because it's the cheap plastic bits that break and he figured he could buy X number of cheap vacuums for the same $$ that he spent on one expensive one. This time I put my foot down and told him that regardless of cost, I was looking for a vacuum that had a 5+ year warranty on it.

Got a Dyson. Just a few months ago. So far, I do like it a lot. But the true test for us is longevity.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by AFQSinc
I have an Oreck. It is lightweight, has a bag and picks up like a wonder. I have a German Shepherd (I used to have two) who sheds year round but blows her coat twice a year. This is the only vacuum that has been able to keep up. Also, I have severe allergies and I find that having a bag is much better.

I know it is hard to spend alot on a vacuum but it really is worth it to spend the money. I use mine more than once a day and it has definitely paid for itself.
Me too, love my Oreck. I looked at alot of vacuums before I went with Oreck. My store provides excellant service too. The fixed my steam iron bc I thought it came from them. After they fixed it I took the manuel in to show them the model # when we realized it wasn't their iron. They didn't charge me even after putting a new gasket on it.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by AFQSinc
I have an Oreck. It is lightweight, has a bag and picks up like a wonder. I have a German Shepherd (I used to have two) who sheds year round but blows her coat twice a year. This is the only vacuum that has been able to keep up. Also, I have severe allergies and I find that having a bag is much better.

I know it is hard to spend alot on a vacuum but it really is worth it to spend the money. I use mine more than once a day and it has definitely paid for itself.
Me too, love my Oreck. I looked at alot of vacuums before I went with Oreck. My store provides excellant service too. The fixed my steam iron bc I thought it came from them. After they fixed it I took the manuel in to show them the model # when we realized it wasn't their iron. They didn't charge me even after putting a new gasket on it.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:23 PM

my son bought me a Dyson and I love it so easy to move around compared to the Kirby I had I wouldn't have any other kind
Old 09-01-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Hosta
my son bought me a Dyson and I love it so easy to move around compared to the Kirby I had I wouldn't have any other kind
My Mom swears by Kirbys . . . I swear at them. Hers is so heavy I can barely push it around. And forget about taking it up and down stairs. Haven't tried a Dyson but I do love my Oreck.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:26 PM

I've always wanted a dyson also and have family members that have one and love but I just can't justify the price. I did see a commercial for a Shark Lift Off vacuum that they were comparing to the dyson and it got great reviews on amazon. I dont' have one, but I think when its time to buy a vacuum, I'll try one of them. I think they were less than $200. Good Luck!