Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving - we miss you, please come back!

what ever happened to thanksgiving? Seems like this is now a forgotten holiday with stores rushing you to buy buy buy for that well known and over commercialized day in December. is it really necessary to have Christmas stuff in stores before Halloween is even over?

thanksgiving for me has always been one of my favorites, family, great food and a time for just being thankful for all of the wonderful things in your life.

let's bring thanksgiving back!

Blog Entries
    My husband and Grown boys love Thanksgiving!! No stress for anyone. Sadly my youngest is in the service and has been in CA for three years...we live in NH. Really hope he gets re-stationed in New England. Miss not having us all together on the holidays.

Blog Entries
    Thanksgiving is the real holiday in our family. We all get together, 4 generations, and take pictures and tell stories. Then all the musicians have a jam session, all my brothers play guitar and my father has professionally played for over 70 years. At Christmas we scatter to the individual families...

I totally agree with you. We love thanksgiving at our house. I really wish they would hold off with the Christmas stuff until the day after like it use to be back in the day. But there is little chance of that since they are selling school supplies at the end of July for Sept!! How did this all happen???

I don't allow anything Christmas related in the house until the evening of Thanksgiving. The world seems to be spinning fast enough as it is without missing such a great holiday. I've even gone so far as to stay home from shopping...shock of all shock! Its just irritating to me and gets worse every year.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Thanksgiving is me favorite. No stress to get gifts. Lots of good food and family.

Blog Entries
    I wholeheartedly agree... I was ticked when I came across a Christmas movie on tv 3 days ago... this is just wrong...
    We are so rushed... I too, want Thanksgiving back!!!

All of the holidays are so commercialized now, it's all about how much money they can get people to spend even though the people can't necessarily afford it, they'll put it on the credit card and be paying for years on it, because they usually won't be done paying that off when the next Christmas comes. The true meanings of Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter are forgotten, even holidays like Memorial Day, etc, but you'll still find "Memorial Day" sales.

Blog Entries
    Thanksgiving has been turned into "The Day Before Black Friday" by merchants...kinda sad... :(

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Thanksgiving is such a wonderful holiday. I also wish they would keep the Christmas madness at bay but it seems to get worse every year, doesn't it? My sis is in retail and Black Friday is the start of a block of time where she can't take any time off for weeks except her days off and even that gets crazy.
    And I complain about nursing hours???

I miss Thanksgiving too. Just good food and family. It's a great holiday.

I love Thanksgiving Day! I can't wait. Such a special time to get to be with my favorite people. Fortunately, as we get older, Christmas is more like Thanksgiving--getting together, eating, catching up and playing games and (my Mom and I) watching "It's a Wonderful Life".

I shop less and less each year! 90% of what I do purchase will be online. I even try to really minimize my need for runs to WM. It gets so crazy. I have zero desire to shop Black Friday!

I refuse to forget Thanksgiving We have so much to be thankful this year! I love to make at least 2 turkeys before the big day! My kids love it when November comes around for the pre meals!! My family is growing small and we now invite the neighbors over. Two years ago I made a 35# turkey it was the size of my 3 yo at the time!! It was so moist and my kids still to this day laugh histerycally recalling the noises I made when trying to lift that dang bird out of the oven!! I LOVE this time of year!!! Thank you for pointing this out!

Blog Entries
    Thanksgiving used to be the real holiday in our home too. Before I moved to Va. My family lives in Iowa so we do not get to spend these holidays together to much anymore. ( I miss it so much) I do get home for xmas every other year.

I think it takes all the fun out of Christmas putting all the "stuff" out so early!!!

There's no money to be made on Thanksgiving, that's why retailers are more than happy to bypass it. :(

I know everyone always says it, but I swear Christmas stuff was out earlier this year than last year. I love Christmas more than anything, but it's losing it's specialness by making the "season" longer and longer.

This year We will pack up a complete meal and bring it 1 and 1/2 hours away to set up for my mom and dad. We want them to have a home cooked meal. My Mother can no longer leave the home and dad lives on meals on wheels. The home will set up a room for the four of us.
    Christmas is always with my husbands family. For us the gift of the holidays is the time together.

Maybe this year in these hard times more people will see the blessing of friends and family and not all the stuff.
    One other good note...We have noticed that in this hard time in our community even people who have little are giving all they can.

In my life out of every bad time something good was waiting on the other side. No money may bring us back to the real gift again.

Christmas stuff in the summer. Crazy! Also come Christmas you can not find the Christmas stuff. I end up having to buy way ahead and then try to store it. I already bought one of those candy house kits that children can make else it will be gone in December. Yuck!

[quote=Annaquilts]Christmas stuff in the summer. Crazy! Also come Christmas you can not find the Christmas stuff. I end up having to buy way ahead and then try to store it. [quote]

The time is just flying faster each day. Personally I focus on each holiday as it comes & refuse to shove one in front of the other. I have always felt that Thanksgiving was more special than some holidays & deserved more time in the public. Just my feelings. I am truly so thankful for so much every day. There is no way that anything Christmas will enter our home until after Thanksgiving day. :D And I will not go out on Black Friday. That is dangerous. :D

When you own a large collection of turkeys, you have to do Thanksgiving. It is certainly a time of reflection. This year DD wants a cooking lesson, since preparing the meal is such a complicated job.
    Our collection- this is just a sample-shows the creativity of artists.
    In the barnyard, turkeys are not so gorgeous!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Hear !hear! I am saddened when I walk down the aisle and there is a 2ft. if that of Thanksgiving and 2 whole aisles of Halloween( of which I have grown to despise) and they are working on x-mas aisles. Thanksgiving is my favorite time, we have 3 to go to,on Dad's we all sit around the table after the blessing and name at least one thing that we are thankful for. It's the highlight of the night.Not to mention thanksgiving has the best food IMHO of any of the holidays. Go! Turkey! :thumbup:

I am looking forward to this Thanksgiving. My brother is coming from Texas and has never met my family. So we are pulling out all the stops. He will be here on the 19th of Nov. and when he gets here the whole house will be decorated for Christmas. It seems really early, but we have never ever celebrated Christmas together. We can't wait to see him, but at least we will not be opening gifts...I will send them all back with him to open with his family. I will be having a very special Thanksgiving this year because of him.

Xmas has been in the stores over here for month. Come December, and the supermarkets will be selling hot Cross buns! I kid you not.

I am amazed. I always thought everyone in the USA made Thanksgiving such a big event, and that it was celebrated by everyone. But reading this topic, it does not seem so. I have always thought it was such a lovely thing for you to have, and a wonderful way to give thanks for the harvest and life.
    Please explain to me what Black Friday is.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Thanksgiving has been turned into "The Day Before Black Friday" by merchants...kinda sad... :(
    Really sad.

I love the holidays like anyone else. BUt I agree they are way to commercialized. Holloween has more recognision that Thanksgiving! Most companies or I'll say several...don't even recognize Easter as a holiday and won't pay holiday pay. Christmas? All about the money! If you think about it long ago back before Television thats when our major holidays were really appreciated for what they meant. Family meant everything, homemade gifts, the "reason for the season" was exactly right. Children played out of doors then, people were healthier and happier. Is progress really as successful as it sounds? I'm stopping...I long for the "Good Old Days". Hugs to all here, I think we need it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast