Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Thanksgiving weekend & Christmas decorations.......when??? >

Thanksgiving weekend & Christmas decorations.......when???

Thanksgiving weekend & Christmas decorations.......when???

Old 11-26-2009, 05:20 PM

It seems like I decorate less and less every year. Since we're waiting for new carpet and flooring to be installed in two weeks, I've put off any decorating till that's done. We've done a full redo of our home this fall and so I hope I can just find my decorations when the time comes. Our son and DIL gave us a fresh wreath today at Thanksgiving dinner, so that will be my first decoration and I'll tie a beautiful bow and put in on the front door; it will fake my neighbors out and they'll think I'm fully into the spirit. I did find a HO HO HO sign last week on a shopping trip, so will place it on the mantle (above the mess down below). Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving today and Happy decorating.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:33 PM

I amf from Canada and have all my decorating finished outside and insid e a little early but now can just enjoy, The rest of the time sewing and xmas baking no rush. The weather here has sbeen mild so my husband and I did the outside , instead of waiting for cold weather Hane a great Thanksgibing and Happy Quilting
Old 11-29-2009, 04:46 PM

i sure understand your wanting to have Christmas with him! My son, also is in Afghanistan. He just went back 10 days ago. So therefore, we decorated 3-4 days before he left and will keep them up until January 6th (the traditional day of taking them down). Hope you have a wonderful Christmas as i did with my son!

Sherri :)
Old 11-29-2009, 04:59 PM

We decorate the first days off after Thanksgiving...getting to be quite a chore since the group of "boys" (what I call my Santa collection) has grown to over 130! It'll stay up until I feel like taking it down and packing it up....sometime in January! :)
Old 11-29-2009, 07:53 PM

I am with "Trupeach". Our son's birthday is Nov. 30, so there are no Christmas decorations allowed until after his birthday!
When our kids were little and we hung our stockings, we also hung an extra one for Jesus. Each time someone did a good deed or a kindness, they got to put a bead in Jesus' stocking. Our goal was to fill His stocking with our good works by Christmas Eve. The kids always loved it when their stockings were full on Christmas morning and Jesus' was empty because He had taken their good works as His Birthday present.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:03 AM

How I envy all of you who's family likes to help decorate. Years ago it would take me 2 week-ends to decorate and baking cookies started immediately after Thanksgiving, I would make around 20 kinds. As my daughter grew I was always hoping she would get into the spirit and help (or at least attend!). My current husband's line is "do we have to have a tree?" obviously no help there. I always had a Christmas eve family party but my niece declaired last year that after she started having kids we had to travel to her house (she had twins). So no party to decorate for (I am asked to bring cookies). Now I feel why bother? No one cares if I do or not. Working full time (husband and daughter both laid off work so no gifts except for daughter-already gave her snow tires how fun is that!) I don't have tons of extra time to decorate...I'd rather quilt. Another sad Christmas for me. Sorry to be so down, I have plenty to be thankful for, but need some Christmas spirit (I did make a quilt for a womens shelter for my guild donation, that felt good) Oh, and I did hang the wreaths on the doors.
Merry Christmas to all of you!
Your quilting friend, Jenny
Old 12-04-2009, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
We've had a family tradition of going together to a tree farm and cutting our own tree. Since my eldest started college in 2000 we wait until we have the most people home for the task. Sometimes that's as late as the 20th or even the 23rd before we get the tree. Since I am temporarily handicapped I will let the rest of the family decorate while I watch them. My oldest is married but lives real close, she will decorate her own place with a tiny tree. My second is married and it is the year his family is going to their home so Jen will have to do her own decorating. We will wait for our son to get home from school and my son to get leave from the Navy.
When DD#3 gets home from school around the 18th she and my eldest will bake a gazillion cookies here at my house. I think my son's ex girlfriend will come over and bake too. The problem could arise if his current girlfriend wants to bake with them!!!

Well, I get to eat my words. While my son and daughter were home for the Thanksgiving weekend we decided to get the tree and decorate. Dh and the kids ran out the to tree farm and cut the tree (I have had recent surgery so I stayed home on "ice")
They pulled down the boxes from the garage and they did all the decorating, I did help to hang a few ornaments. This is the earliest in many years that we have gotten our tree up. It is also the first time ever that we were the first on our street to get up the Christmas lights.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:23 PM

Here's my wreath. I feel like the swan...gliding across the water but paddling like crazy underneath. At least the front door looks good.

Merry Christmas to all!

Fresh wreath given by kids, my added touch.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]43044[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-43044.jpe