Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is There A Equal Substitute For Bleach? >

Is There A Equal Substitute For Bleach?

Is There A Equal Substitute For Bleach?

Old 12-15-2017, 04:48 AM

Just a small side note...we had a septic tank issue last year and had to have it pumped out. Found out that the baby wipes and personal bathroom wipes (you know what I mean) do not break down as toilet tissue does. Never ever flush those wipes if you have a septic tank because they last for years and years!!
Old 12-15-2017, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

I'd hate to think of the damage to your body by smelling bleach everyday. Bleach is caustic, melts your skin, that is the slimy feeling you get with bleach, your skin is melting.
If it isn't safe for a septic then it sure isn't safe for your body.
Simple solution, use disposables.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
Just a small side note...we had a septic tank issue last year and had to have it pumped out. Found out that the baby wipes and personal bathroom wipes (you know what I mean) do not break down as toilet tissue does. Never ever flush those wipes if you have a septic tank because they last for years and years!!
We have our septic pumped every five years. Our homeowner policy requires it in case there is a problem we have proof it isn't owner's negligence. Check you policy. We didn't know this the first time we had a problem. Thank goodness it wasn't a costly one. Not many know about owner's negligence on any claim until it's too late.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:07 AM

Just a thought, you might want to check the back of the Dawn bottle. It says "Do not mix with bleach."

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I"ve been told the same thing. The best thing for killing germs is soap and water. When I need to kiil germs I use hot water and soap and sometimes Young Living's Thieves cleaner. I don't use any toxic chemicals in my home if I can avoid it. As has been stated, they are very bad for the immune system. Give m
Cashsmom- I use essential oils and natural products for all my cleaning. When I started to read what goes into all those products we buy I did an about face. Thieves oil is wonderful but you can make your own a lot cheaper with the essential oils that are in it. There's loads of info on the internet for safe products for home use- also bath and body. Once I started I haven't looked back.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:09 AM

June, when I was in nursing school I learned that when we wash our hands it is the friction and amount of time we spend washing that counts. The soap makes it slippery for the germs and rinsing gets them off. I know what you are saying, I have PMR, it is an autoimmune disorder and I am on high doses of prednisone. I have to be careful as my immune system is suppressed. I use the lysol wipes alot on everything. If I travel on a plane I wipe down everything with the wipes. I use them on my counter tops and in my kitchen. Yesterday we had a repairman come and fix a window and he was sick. Said he caught it from his wife. Who walked in behind him??? His wife holding a tissue to her nose. I opened all our windows, and after they left had to disinfect the windows they worked on. Try using hot water, Dawn, and a good scrubber for your dishes. This is long but I just want you to know I understand where you are coming from.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:00 AM

Goggle how to care for septic system, I think you will be surprised at what you read. The Dawn bottle says not to add bleach, but I am like you always add a little bit. I really think we are a bit healthier because of the bleach. Have no idea why bottle says not to add.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:26 AM

Here is a cleaning concoction I use: 2 ounces Dawn, 4 ounces Lemon juice, 8 ounces white vinegar, 10 ounces water.
I use this to clean the inside of the oven, microwave, and toaster oven. Put into a spray bottle, shake well. Works wonderful, very pleased with the end results.
Lysol also has a Laundry sanitizing solution/liquid that can be added to the Softener compartment. NOT a Bleach. Can be found a Walmart for approx. $4-5 bucks.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:56 AM

Vinegar is a good cleaner and disinfectant.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sandra-P View Post
June, when I was in nursing school I learned that when we wash our hands it is the friction and amount of time we spend washing that counts. The soap makes it slippery for the germs and rinsing gets them off. I know what you are saying, I have PMR, it is an autoimmune disorder and I am on high doses of prednisone. I have to be careful as my immune system is suppressed. I use the lysol wipes alot on everything. If I travel on a plane I wipe down everything with the wipes. I use them on my counter tops and in my kitchen. Yesterday we had a repairman come and fix a window and he was sick. Said he caught it from his wife. Who walked in behind him??? His wife holding a tissue to her nose. I opened all our windows, and after they left had to disinfect the windows they worked on. Try using hot water, Dawn, and a good scrubber for your dishes. This is long but I just want you to know I understand where you are coming from.
Thank you Sandra, and thanks to everyone for your suggestions/comments.