Things to do at Mardi Gras

Old 02-12-2017, 09:35 AM

I've been to NO several times and will be going again in March . Go to the Rum House, not in the French Quarter but Uber or a Taxi will get you there. Ride the street cars the one on St. Charles street has the most beautiful mansions. Jackson Square and a ride in the mule drawn carriages is fun also the ghost tours. Have fun there really is no place like it.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:05 AM

It is going to be crowded! Look up parades and routes and the cities they will be in. May fun parades are in adjacent small towns, like Metairie(big fun), Slidell, Covington, Madisonville(boats), and others. Think about other non-mardi gras stuff like local museums, the aquarium, the zoo. I think the WWII museum is closed right now for carnival, not positive.
Look up local news web pages for lists, WWLTV, WGNO, FOX8. Mothers poboy is unique, if you like getting getting cheesy/sleezy comments about you when they prepare it, long lines. Magazine street is a wonderful walk visiting antique shops. Find Simone of New Orleans and take home a unique treasure, he does neat sayings, a nice older frenchman. Oh yea, there's frenchman street with lots of music and good food. Oh and that bar with great burgers, hmmm can't think of the name. Safety first everywhere, stay in groups, stay on the main drags at night. Oh, when street people come up to you and say I know where you have your shoes or something like that, brush em off. They scam like, ya got em on Bourbon Street. Be aware of a degree of lewdness with people picking up their tops for beads (men and women). You are welcome to msg me if you have any thing to ask. Hope I will see it! Have BIG fun! enjoy....

Last edited by sweet; 02-12-2017 at 10:06 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-12-2017, 02:06 PM

Just returned from my first trip to NO on Friday. Jackson Square, the Cathedral, and take time to look at the shops around the square. I found a beautiful little, wee tiny shop, Rendezvous Linen & Lace, 622 St. Peters Street, http://www.therendezvoustavern.com/ It is filled with handmade items of white linen, trimmed with beautiful lace and embroidery. They had little girl dresses, baby hats, hankies, table runners, table cloths and oh so much more. Shop has been around of years and years. The sales clerk is also one of the sewers and has been at the shop for 26 years.

My second is a trip to Bourbon French Perfume. The company has been in existence since early 1800's. They make their own perfumes right there in the shop, 805 Royal Street. They will blend to your own taste right on the spot or you can by from their selection. <cite class="_Rm"> </cite>A lovely break from all of the wildness of NO. <cite class="_Rm">www.neworleansperfume.com

I had a marvelous dinner at The Red Fish Grill on Bourbon Street. A nice place to eat and not a dive. Good selection of sea food and EXCELLENT service. No reservations needed but we did make one just in case.

It was recommended by a family member to take one of the city tours to get a sense of the whole city not just the French Quarter or the Garden District. I was in NO for a conference and did not have time to see the city as a whole. I am sure there are many, many other wonderful places but these three rise to the top for me. Bring your walking shoes...... you will need them.

</cite> <cite class="_Rm"></cite>
Old 02-13-2017, 06:33 AM

If you are offended or embarrassed easily I would stay away from New Orleans the girls get pretty much naked there.
You are going to see ANY and EVERY thing going on in New Orleans but Mobile is more family type.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:42 AM

When we visited NO we loved the Rosetree glass place. http://rosetreegallery.com/
Old 02-15-2017, 07:55 AM

Take the Dinner Jazz Cruise on the Steamboat Natchez. This is really neat. www.steamboatnatchez.com We took it and it goes up river in the daylight and comes back after dark. Just really neat to see the city change from daylight to night time. The food and music is good too.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

I saw Galveston to have one too. When did they start doing this? I thought it was only in New Orleans.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:42 AM

I would love to hear how your trip went. Hope you had a good time!