Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Things that make you go "Hmmmmm" >

Things that make you go "Hmmmmm"

Things that make you go "Hmmmmm"

Old 12-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

Cute, I still think there is a big difference in people sharing quilting supplies with a friend or leaving an anonymous "I think you're fat" message at someone's door.
In crafting terms that would be like embroidering a cookie in a big red circle with a slash through it.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Cute, I still think there is a big difference in people sharing quilting supplies with a friend or leaving an anonymous "I think you're fat" message at someone's door.
In crafting terms that would be like embroidering a cookie in a big red circle with a slash through it.
LOL!!! I could just imagine how a kitchen accessory with that on it would go over. Ooops... it caught fire while I was taking melted chocolate off the stove.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
don't be hurt. it says nothing at all about your quality as a human being. it speaks volumes however about the lack of character in whoever pulled such a snotty stunt.

tear out the pages and put one recipe on every desk in the building. post a notice that you couldn't keep such a generous gift all to yourself.
LOL

I agree with this. I could lose some weight too and if someone puts this book on my desk I would definitly be hurt.
Well sweetie, look it the other way-please don't be hurt because you have a book for free...enjoy it :)
Old 12-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Power Poster

I have just seen so many people jump to the wrong conclusions on so many things, and she may never find out who or why she was given the book, there is a difference, or maybe not, unless she does know it is for sure and has talked to them she will never know the intent of the book, I am more a half full than half empty sort of person, some days that is the only that gets me to the end of the day so it is a good thing. I guess even when I have an empty glass, I am happy that I have the glass, not sure where it comes from, was I born this way? And frankly looking at it any other way for me would be letting them get to me if it was sent maliciously. if they are looking to get a reaction out of me, well, they won't get what they expect. it really isn't worth my energy.

So who here knows for sure what the intent of the book was?
Old 12-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cutebuns
I am more a half full than half empty sort of person
I'm the "there's the wrong stuff in my glass" kinda girl. LOL!!!!
Old 12-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Power Poster

Well, we all can't be the same, I would hate to see the world if there was more than one of me running around, :)
Old 12-11-2009, 05:08 AM

When I first started reading this thead, my first reaction was negative as in "someone thinks I'm fat and is being mean." Then I gave myself a slap upside the head because that was OLD thinking. NEW thinking says "someone overheard my conversation with my co-worker about weight, doesn't really know me so doesn't know how to approach me, decided to send the book anonomously. Not preaching, I just decided to try a new way of thinking when I hit fifty. Eight years later and I'm still practicing, trying to get it right.

Although I loved the suggestion that you leave a page on everyone's desk (too funny!), that doesn't seem to suit your personality of being a quiet person (been there, done that). I'd go with leaving it in the break room along with an unsigned note saying you already have a copy and am passing the book along. That takes the power out of someone who might be trying to mean but, doesn't offend someone who was trying to be nice.

Actually, the idea that someone thought of you is, in it's own way, a compliment. I find most people, good or bad, are so tied up in their own lives, they don't spend much time thinking about others.

One final note, sorry this is so chatty, on the smoking thing. In the early days of my career, smoking was allowed. I found myself in too many meetings where the smoke became so thick, you could hardly see the other end of the room (no exaggeration!. Yes, most smokers are very considerate NOW but that hasn't always been the case. Maybe the pendulum has swung too far in one direction but, as an asthmatic, I'm not complaining!

Again, sorry if this sounds preachy.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:57 PM

This reminds me of a time that a little kid came up to me and said "Guess what? You're fat!" Of course he wanted to shock or hurt me. I turned around and said, "I AM? I never knew that before. I then gave him a big smile, shook his hand and said "Well thanks for telling me."
The kid just stood there with a dumb look on his face.
I know the frustrating thing is you can't give the person a piece of your mind, but just remember, you have WAY more class than that person.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Power Poster

I think that would hurt my feelings. Then I'd think "oh well" and try some of the recipes.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:56 PM
Google Goddess

Pam, ifyou still have the envelope could take it testing for DNA that would be funny at the office.

Karen