Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: thinking of buying ipad.....why???????

thinking of buying ipad.....why???????

Hi,
    I am thinking of maybe buying an ipad.......but I really need to justify the purchase in my mind.......I have been watching tutes on various quilting things.....gifts, quickies, etc., and am thinking....since I don't have either my laptop or my desktop in my sewing cave this might be the justifiable reason to get the ipad... so I can tune in and sew from the tute right there in my sewing cave....how's that......no, I do not have one of those smart phones...........just a low rate cell that I carry in purse when I drive, just in case.......what do you all think......thanks

I want to watch this thread. I have been wondering the same thing. I just need a good reason to justify the purchase.

Blog Entries
    For sure you need an iPad!!!!! I take mine into my sewing room to follow tunes all the time!!!!
    fatquarters

Power Poster
    I am currently typing this from my Ipad. I love it and can post pictures directly from it to QB. I don't have a digital camera so this replaces that. It will let you do most things that a lap top will do except print. I email PDF's to my main computer to print out patterns. I have the Missouri Star Quilt Co. ap and I love it. It updates all the newest tutorials from Jenny. I have games that I like to play. I can use it as my alarm clock, can send and receive emails, I can take picture of what is on the screen to save, I can upload store coupons and have the cashier scan it. There are lots more things it can do but I am still learning.

I have an Ipad and I LOVE it. When I am in my studio I will watch and/or listen to shows and listen to talk radio shows that I like. I also love Face Time with my dear friend who lives in Arizona. I am so glad I bought it.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I didn't want to spend that much for the iPad, so I bought the Samsung Galaxy Tablet - the 7" was $249, the 10" is $349-399.....still cheaper than an iPad ($500).....my tablet does everything the iPad does and is Android based. Bought it to play Words with Friends while I was walking on the treadmill (instead of playing while sitting on my butt!!).. but I can do lots of other stuff with it including pictures, Skype, Internet, email etc.....
    This brand was the best for the price (after iPad). There are other even cheaper brands, but we did our homework and found the samsung was as close to iPad as we could get. The 7" fits great in my purse......the 10" would have been nice to have but I didn't want to have to carry a bigger purse. Good luck and have fun with it!!

Love mine would not be without it.

Ive been looking at the samsung galaxy tablet. Thinking that I want a 10 inch. No matter what kind of tablet you are thinking about, be sure to check out the black friday ads. Lots of good prices on lots of different brands.
    Laura

Paying it forward, one Smile at a time!
    http://twistedvegas.com

Blog Entries
    Another option is the ipod Touch. about the size of an iphone and does all the same things except make phone calls. Very portable. Works on wi fi so no expensive phone bills.

I-Pad devotee here ... you can do all the things mentioned above and more. One of my favorite reasons for having the I-Pad is something called "Face Time". You can video teleconference others that have either an I-Phone or I-Pad (possibly even I-touch if it can read e-mail). It uses e-mail to transfer data so it isn't a phone call which is a huge bonus for us because the people that we Face Time with are in England! It's a great way for us to SEE the kids and the grand kids!!
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I just love love love my ipad. I bought DH one for his birthday last year, he loved it, but I was using it so much he bought me my own for Mothers Day this year. Can't and don't want to be without it.

I use it for .....

email
    watching movies and TV
    I have online subscriptions to two McCalls quilting magazines that I read on it
    I have a kindle, but I prefer to use the ipad
    I play games on it...... Boggle rocks!
    and many many more things!

Hope this helps with your decision.

Hugs

Caroline
    Caroline

I use my ipad for the quilt apps, and videos in my sewing room...but have the android also and it is my favorite...does it all and fits in my purse. I don't like carrying the ipad around--too big for my preference---tho size makes a big difference watching videos!

Oh you ladies have ME wanting one!

I just bought the new iPad3 and I really like it. Also just bought a new Toshiba laptop, now trying to find the courage to see if I can download some embroidery patterns and not lose everything on both computers....
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    I love my iPad! I use it for EVERYTHING, as I do not have a computer. It does every thing I would want a computer for, and more. It is small enough to be very portable and large enough to see photos clearly and easily. It takes great quality pictures. I play games. I have used various photo editing programs to design quilt projects. (Such as take a photo of different fabrics and paste them together to see if I like the color combinations.). When I see a photo of a quilt that I like on the board or any other web sight, I just save the picture and put it into a "quilt" folder in my iPad to browse through at another time. That folder provides me with a great deal of inspiration.

My iPad is a great quilting tool as well as a great substitute computer for me! I don't know what I would do with out one!

I am looking in into getting the iPad. I thought you could print patterns from it if you the correct _printer,and they do have an app for that. Does anyone have any info on that?

Blog Entries
    I use mine for everything. My latest quilting activity--- I practice fmq moves!! I downloaded a white board app and doodle til my heart is content!!!

Love love love my iPad. Much easier to carry around than my laptop.

I'm going out this weekend and getting myself an ipad. I've been wanting one for a long time. I have a laptop but it needs a new battery so I'm hoping I can put my patterns on the ipad and use it in my sewing room. I'm really hoping my embroidery software will work on it too

Blog Entries
    My DH just bought me an I pad in August . I had asked for one of those things that you can read books on because I read a lot and spend to much money on books even though I reread them. I decided an iPad would be better. I have to say I love it love it, love it!!!!!!! I take to to watch all the videos on making quilts, hoe to do different techniques, and soooo much more, I take it everywhere and I really didn't think I would. Using it right know! Get one you'll love it!

What about the Kindle Fire? Any opinions on that? I've been trying to decide.
    Pat

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    I actually won an iPad a few months ago (lucky me!) ... mostly it is my kids that use it. It's nice for viewing things, but if what you do involves a lot of typing and you are used to an old-style keyboard (as I am) you may find the on-screen keyboard to be frustratingly inefficient.

The most pleasant surprise use I found for it was taking pictures, when the battery on my phone ran out. It actually takes very nice videos, as well as stills.

I won an ipad in August. I have it sitting next to the couch and use it to surf and watch videos. It's handy but I prefer a computer and if I hadn't won this one, I wouldn't have purchased one. I will say my son had one, ended up giving it to his girlfriend when he bought a Mac Air Pro - he said it was just as easy to carry as the ipad. He is now going to buy the new smaller ipad for himself because of the size - it's handy to carry unlike its bigger sibling. Bottom line is it depends on what you want it for. If you want it to have handy to watch videos, it's great! If you think it will replace a computer, it won't. Hope that helps!!
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I am currently typing this from my Ipad. I love it and can post pictures directly from it to QB. I don't have a digital camera so this replaces that. It will let you do most things that a lap top will do except print. I email PDF's to my main computer to print out patterns. I have the Missouri Star Quilt Co. ap and I love it. It updates all the newest tutorials from Jenny. I have games that I like to play. I can use it as my alarm clock, can send and receive emails, I can take picture of what is on the screen to save, I can upload store coupons and have the cashier scan it. There are lots more things it can do but I am still learning.
    All these things, plus if you travel, the "Maps" app will show three ways to get to a destination, give mileage for each, and estimate the time it will take. Plus there's a little "bouncy ball" (sorry, don't know the techie term) that bounces along to show that you are on the route. We also use the weather map app a lot to check out storms and also weather conditions where we have family. I do use it exclusively for QB. Some things won't open if they need a flash drive, but those are not so numerous. I would not have thought I'd ever use an iPad so extensively, but I rarely sit at the computer anymore. We bought a cover from Logitech for $39.99 for the iPad from Amazon and this cover is also a keyboard. So it's like having a minicomputer. You'll want to buy a cover anyway, so why not one that also works for you? Also, you can take short videos and email them as soon as they're taken. Pictures, too. My thing is, why would anyone want a laptop? This is smaller, lighter, and oh, so easily portable. I use mine while waiting for doctor appointments...it's a great conversation starter. Hope you go try one out.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by ione View Post
    I am looking in into getting the iPad. I thought you could print patterns from it if you the correct _printer,and they do have an app for that. Does anyone have any info on that?
    It is very possible with the right "App" and a printer that is compatible. My printer is wireless but not compatible with the printing. I'm thinking about a new printer. I think you can google to see a list of printers that will work.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast