Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
THoughts for those in Texas >

THoughts for those in Texas

THoughts for those in Texas

Old 04-19-2011, 09:45 PM

Prayers for all of Texas.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:53 AM
Power Poster

Sending prayers!
Old 04-20-2011, 04:48 AM

We are far south of all that. Prayers for all in harms way. Prayers that we get at least a little rain in the next week. Fire and water are so unforgiving!
Old 04-20-2011, 05:50 AM

water the garden twice a day by hand to conserve water. Worst year we've ever had....please pray for quiet gentle rain, and lots of it.[/quote]
---------------------------------------------
Prayers for a long rain. Maybe I'd better visit Texas again, the last time I was there in mid summer it rained almost every day.

For planting, go for heavy mulch. Up to your knees if you can find that much. There is the stuff they put in pots to hold water, if you can find that it would work but expensive. Still, good old mulch works wonders, even old newspapers with hay or grass on it.
Here in the blazing sun of central California, I most times make up my own potting mix. Sawdust, peat moss, wood shavings, tiny wood pieces, cat litter (NEW) because it is formulated to hold moisture, HINT=mix it in while the other stuff is DRY,
Finely cut up newspaper and shredded papers, DRIED grass clippings if you don't use chemicals on the lawn, perlite. All of this, mixed with about 1/4th or more of the volume being plain old dirt, will grow plants that don't need as much water as they would in the ground.

Check out RUTH STOUT's books, she was Organic Gardening's
top writer for mulching gardens.

Prayers for all of you, including my two daughters near Ft. Worth/Dallas and Ft. Hood.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
water the garden twice a day by hand to conserve water. Worst year we've ever had....please pray for quiet gentle rain, and lots of it.
---------------------------------------------
Prayers for a long rain. Maybe I'd better visit Texas again, the last time I was there in mid summer it rained almost every day.

For planting, go for heavy mulch. Up to your knees if you can find that much. There is the stuff they put in pots to hold water, if you can find that it would work but expensive. Still, good old mulch works wonders, even old newspapers with hay or grass on it.
Here in the blazing sun of central California, I most times make up my own potting mix. Sawdust, peat moss, wood shavings, tiny wood pieces, cat litter (NEW) because it is formulated to hold moisture, HINT=mix it in while the other stuff is DRY,
Finely cut up newspaper and shredded papers, DRIED grass clippings if you don't use chemicals on the lawn, perlite. All of this, mixed with about 1/4th or more of the volume being plain old dirt, will grow plants that don't need as much water as they would in the ground.

Check out RUTH STOUT's books, she was Organic Gardening's
top writer for mulching gardens.

Prayers for all of you, including my two daughters near Ft. Worth/Dallas and Ft. Hood.[/quote]

thanks for that info...we do it all organic, so it is time consuming and that makes us better stewards of the moisture control...less is best when it comes to having to water/weed, etc....

we have found though that the more mulch we put in the garden, the more snakes I seem to attract....... :thumbdown:
Old 04-20-2011, 07:51 AM

I don't live where the wildfires are (we're in South Texas) but we are in a serious drought and I worry everytime I have to leave our place. All it takes is one careless act...there are burnt patches of grass everywhere caused by cars pulling over in tall dry grass or someone flicking out a cigarette. I pray we will have some rain soon...