Thread Bowls

Old 01-07-2013, 06:57 PM

I have heard of making these with leftover threads and water soluable embroidery stabilizer. You make a sandwich of stabilizer, threads, stabilizer, then sew all over to secure the loose threads. Once stabilized with thread, you then soak the whole thing in warm water to dissolve the stabilizer, leaving you with a thread fabric. If you are going to drape it over the bowl, I would use fabric stiffener, found at craft stores. It dries hard and firm. Good luck and post pics if you do this.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by imnywoman View Post
I have heard of making these with leftover threads and water soluable embroidery stabilizer. You make a sandwich of stabilizer, threads, stabilizer, then sew all over to secure the loose threads. Once stabilized with thread, you then soak the whole thing in warm water to dissolve the stabilizer, leaving you with a thread fabric. If you are going to drape it over the bowl, I would use fabric stiffener, found at craft stores. It dries hard and firm. Good luck and post pics if you do this.

this is what i do.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:17 PM

You can even add tiny pieces of fabric in it as well. Have seen it done with Sulky and Nancy Zieman video as well.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:04 AM

How about taking the snippets between two layers of water soluble stabilizer, then sew free motion over the snippets This would lock them in. Then lay inside a bowl and trim, put another bowl inside of the bowl with stabilizer snippets, dunk in water, drain and invert bowl upside down to dry.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:01 AM

Maybe the snippets were soaked in diluted Elmers' Glue. I have used that in place of Modpodge. However then it could only be used for decorative things.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by sandrab64 View Post
How about this? http://www.sewitalltv.com/content_do...structions.pdf
Also, A gal showed a little pouch at a meeting yesterday where she had put thread snippets on wool, layed the thread snippets over all of it and then put some sort of mesh (organza?) on top and meandered all over it to hold it in/on. She then cut it to make whatever she was making. I suppose you could also cut it in a circle and invert it over a bowl to dry. It seemed fairly simple but I didn't get a real good look at it.
What a cool idea! Thanks for posting the link.