Ticks

Old 05-26-2012, 09:03 PM

I'm in western wa do we have ticks? I don't remember seeing any here.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:48 PM

I live in the midwest, but haven't seen any , but i will keep a lookout, thank you for the info
Old 05-27-2012, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by barbsr View Post
I heard ticks would be bad this year because most of us did not have a real cold winter.
I don't know about ticks, but those dang mosquitoes won't let me sit out in the even to read on my swing. We didn't have much of a winter at all. The parish does have a program in place where trucks go around the country roads and even our streets spraying to kill the eggs that are in standing water and in tall grass.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:37 PM

Some years we have had really bad cases of ticks on our animals and they come in on our shoes and clothes. We have mild winters. But now that we have so many fire ants, we have few ticks. The fire ants make blisters on your skin if they bite you, but they keep the tick population way down if not completely gone! We could send you some fire ants from Texas....
Old 05-28-2012, 04:40 PM

Location: Born & raised in Upper Micigan, transplanted to central Wisconsin the last 35 yrs.

Oh, how I hate ticks! Here in central Wisconsin they are just as bad and thick as can be. My step daughter is one very lucky woman. She had gotten bit by the deer tick, not thinking it was a deer tick, or that she would even get sick. Well, she did get very ill, and it took forever for the doctors to realize she had lyme's. I just happened to walk into her hospital room when the doctor was there and they were discussing what to do next. I asked if they checked for lyme. Well, right then the light came on in that doc's head. By this point in time my step daughter was at the stage of even having heart trouble, lung problems, breathing problems, and it started to go to other vital organs. Instantly they started her on mega heavy duty antibiotics, and with in a few days she was leaving the hospital. Now she has permanent damage to her heart, and scarring in her lungs. So, if anyone has any unusual symptoms, I would always mention Lymes..... it couldn't hurt!
Old 05-28-2012, 06:49 PM

The best way to be sure you kill a tick is to keep small jars of cooking oil, baby oil, any kind of oil sitting at various places in your house and if you see one, put it in the jar of oil. When i lived in Oklahoma we had a doctor and park ranger tell us that was the onluy sure way he had found. Just put them in and leave them and you will find they are dead when you check later.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:41 PM

I moved from a large city to rural Tennessee last summer, so I had never seen a tick! This year I opened my window for fresh air and itty bitty seed ticks crawled right through the screens! My two cats are strictly indoors but still need Frontline. I had no idea what I was getting into! Lol, seriously besides the ticks I love the country!
Old 05-28-2012, 11:38 PM

Please send this warning to everyone on your e-mail list.

If someone comes to your front door saying they are checking for ticks due to the warm
weather and asks you to take your clothes off and dance around with your arms up,

DO NOT DO IT!! THIS IS A SCAM!!
They only want to see you naked.

I wish I'd gotten this email yesterday... I feel so stupid.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:05 AM

LOL,LOL,LOL.....got a laugh out of that one!
: )
Old 05-29-2012, 07:14 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

OH YUCK !! dealt with them critters after DH coming back from Missouri ! he was in the shower-yelled for me and I came a running thinking he had fallen-nopers- get the heated scissors, and get em out .. we were lucky they came out and we took care of them-cutting the head off after pressing the heated scissors against the skin around the tick then with the blades open cut off their tiny useless heads when they come out of the skin due to the heat.