It is time...

Old 06-08-2010, 12:31 PM

My son is a geek in network security. He takes classes called things like "Ethical Hacking"! He told me if you go on the internet without any protection, the time it will take you to get a virus is 3 seconds. Eeeeyowch!

He tells me all these horror stories when he comes home from conventions about the newest evil stuff people can do to your computer. Sometimes I wish he'd been a plumber, but then when I have something go wrong with my computer I'm terribly glad I can just pick up the phone and have him fix it!
Old 06-08-2010, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
I use Firefox too and still my laptop got hit a couple of weeks ago!
Had a geek friend fix it and put malware and spyware protection on it! Runs good now, but the "A" key is sticking..... must be from the donuts at Marsye's :-D
my "five" is not working either, at all...dang.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:22 PM

Thanks! I did it! :D
Old 06-08-2010, 06:14 PM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but facebook is very public despite people thinking only "friends" can see their pages. So please be careful what you post. People lose jobs or never get interviews because of their facebook pages. It drives me nuts to see what some of the people I know post on the net. Also, once something is posted anywhere on the net (there really is no delete function, no matter what software you have running) someone can access it because there is always a loophole and a printer somewhere.

Most people don't realize how easy it is to access information of any kind. There are readers that retrieve credit card information from unknowing shoppers from outside the store. You don't have to have someone steal your card and find your PIN number anymore. One of the easiest is when people drive around looking for open wireless hubs and hack into home networks, etc.

Unfortunately, I think we were probably more personally secure before the great "techno revolution". I am as guilty as the next person about not changing passwords, but you really should on important accounts every week.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:19 PM

You would think with all the hassle Facebook, myspace and that Twitting page one would run as fast as they can from those sites. Hotmail and Yahoo mail included.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:35 PM

I don't use them and never will. My computer has a firewall for the firewall. I keep the really important information on a computer that is not connected to any network at all. I was hacked only once and knew who did it because they brought me the "evidence". It taught me a very good lesson. Now I am much more cautious.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:09 PM

It is soooo scary anymore. And I am as dumb as a box of rocks regarding computers. Thank goodness DH knows a little about them.