Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Tin foil to block credit card scanners?

Blog Entries
    I've seen on the news that some creeps are using a hand held device to scan your credit cards right through your purse or pocket.
    One of my friends mentioned tin foil as a blocker?
    What if there were 2 or more layers of tin foil sewn into wallets or purse linings, would it work?
    Are there any science wiz's here who could figure it out?

Why don't they go and get a job and work for their money instead of stealing everything that don't belong to them.

That is sad you can't have anything without worrying if someone will steal it even in your own wallet or purse.

Maybe someone should put some cancel cards in there they would get a surprise then.

Blog Entries
    i suspect this is myth.

Power Poster
    I saw this on the news - don't remember which one - but it was only a few days ago - of course, the guy is also selling an "anit-theft device" to cover your cards as a deterrent.
    My thought was - "oh, great - now another 'how-to" steal"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I saw this on the news - don't remember which one - but it was only a few days ago - of course, the guy is also selling an "anit-theft device" to cover your cards as a deterrent.
    I didn't notice him selling an anti theft device. I must have missed that part.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
    Maybe he wasn't "selling" it - I think he had developed some kind of cover to put one's cards in that the scanner wouldn't be able to read through.

I saw that too - same thought crossed my mind. I have had a lot of CC s and never saw one with an RFID chip. Only time I had a CC problem was at a gas station in KY. They must have saved the number somehow and tried to use it again.

Power Poster
    http://www.idstronghold.com/?gclid=C...FcjsKgodqA0ZpA

covers are being sold through here - along with a mention of the fox news story

Take a look at this website, it explains alot.

They are called RFID chips. To me they are frieghtening.
    JulieM

http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/169

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    i suspect this is myth.
    Not a myth. It has been on several news stations.

Quote Originally Posted by lindy
    i suspect this is myth.
    Perhaps Patrice was talking about the tinfoil part...? She'll have to weigh in.

I also saw this on the news. It's the same type of thing that the gas station pumps you just have to wave your key fob in front of the machine to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by pojo
    Why don't they go and get a job and work for their money instead of stealing everything that don't belong to them.

That is sad you can't have anything without worrying if someone will steal it even in your own wallet or purse.

Maybe someone should put some cancel cards in there they would get a surprise then.
    My DH#2 worked as a prison guard. The things they'll come up with are ingenius. I asked many years ago why they don't use those talents toward good. It's still a mystery to me. Why sit on a street corner and panhandle....(in the days when economy was good)....to me, sitting on a street corner thru all kinds of weather is HARDER than working on a job!

whoops -- double posting - sorry

Blog Entries
    but i don't think foil would be good for your credit cards!

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    I am thinking the same thing. Can not imagine that foil would be good for cc...just like how magnets destroy pc's, cell phones, cc's etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    I didn't mean to actually have the credit cards touch the tin foil. I meant fold some foil up and put it in the large opening of a wallet with the folding money. Wouldn't that block the scanner thing? I'm not sure tin foil has any "blocking" power at all, but seemed like something easy to try. My friend has already done it to her and her husband's wallets.

Blog Entries
    My DH says to pay cash. It is a lot Less trouble. Credit cards don't make things faster or easier. They just create more problems

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    Quote Originally Posted by lindy
    i suspect this is myth.
    Perhaps Patrice was talking about the tinfoil part...? She'll have to weigh in.

I also saw this on the news. It's the same type of thing that the gas station pumps you just have to wave your key fob in front of the machine to pay.
    welllllll ... i was going to say that i save my tin foil for making hats to keep the CIA and Martians away.

but somebody might think i was being a smarty-pants. :lol:

when you get right down to it, it's just wacky enough to be true. :shock:

i've been studying for a network security certification exam. i've learned all sorts of things i should have realized before.

did you know that cell phones can be used to infect computer networks with viruses?

that cell phone transmissions can be intercepted to gain access to your passwords, etc? ok. i did know that but don't care because the only thing i use my cell phone for is plain old phone calls. all you appsters out there should think twice, though, before using your phone to manage your home security systems, lock or unlock your car, access email, or to do online banking/shopping.

or that having a multi-function fax-capable printer connected to your computer and phone line at the same time gives hackers a back door into your network?

Some years ago I made a jacket and bought some interlining that had a foil kind of stuff on one side, supposedly to cut down on wind. Do they still make it and would a little pouch of that stop this stealing. I have two bank accounts and one bank sent my card in one of those pouches.

I watched a program on Discovery channel where the security guy did an experiment to get off the grid as one identity and go back on the grid as another person. He used aluminum foil in his wallet so scanners could not pick up his card info.

EDIT - If I find out who the guy is and/or what the show is, I will update. I do remember the guy runs a security company and/or survivalist school.

My updated credit card is due in Feb. I will not accept a card with an RIFD chip unless it has a proven means of not allowing something like this to happen. Soon we'll need microchips in our ears for these things, just like our dogs! :-) We live in a close-to-crazy world these days.

Quote Originally Posted by granma1
    My DH says to pay cash. It is a lot Less trouble. Credit cards don't make things faster or easier. They just create more problems
    Actually, that is not necessarily true around here. There is such a huge problem with forged bank notes that many stores won't take anything larger than a $20 bill, and even those are checked individually.

Sadly, the crooks have us coming and going.

Quote Originally Posted by redkimba
    EDIT - If I find out who the guy is and/or what the show is, I will update. I do remember the guy runs a security company and/or survivalist school.
    Found the info: Show is/was "Track Me if you can". Expert is Aton Edwards. He is 'an expert in the fields of self-reliance, emergency preparedness, and sustainable living. He is the current Executive Director of the International Preparedness Network' (info from wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aton_Edwards)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redkimba
    I watched a program on Discovery channel where the security guy did an experiment to get off the grid as one identity and go back on the grid as another person. He used aluminum foil in his wallet so scanners could not pick up his card info.
    well what do you know? I guess my friend was right after all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
    Maybe he wasn't "selling" it - I think he had developed some kind of cover to put one's cards in that the scanner wouldn't be able to read through.
    wasn't there also a mention that they thought it was a selling tactic for those covers ??

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast