Is it too late?

Old 08-31-2011, 02:45 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Is it too late to take a nap at 6:15 in the evening?
I'm fighting a sugar downer after a late afternoon Coke Float -- well, you've got to do *something* for the 4 o'clock slumps!! -- and if I don't go in and sleep for a while, I'll likely just nod on over and put my head right on the keyboard.

But then, if I sleep now, will I be able to go to bed later tonight?
I *have* to get up in the morning by 9:30am, which is barely after the crack of midnight in my usual world, because I have a follow-up sleep-study appointment with a doctor for whom I've been waiting nearly 3 months. I already strongly suspect I have sleep apnea, but falling asleep right in front of the doc would probably cinch that deal, wouldn't it?

So many decisions, so much stress. :roll:
Nap it is.

Jan in VA
Old 08-31-2011, 02:48 PM

Hang in there....and get treated for your Apnea!! My DH fought going to the doctor for it for several years...finally I gave him THE ultimatum...he was too hard to live with, and his snoring was shaking the roof!!

Now that he has the CPAP machine (for about 3 years now) we both sleep soundly, and he has returned to his own sweet self!!
Old 08-31-2011, 02:48 PM

I am a night owl, usually not going to bed until about 3am. I get up around 8am and by 6pm I'm ready for a little nap. I indulge, it makes me feel better! Go ahead, there is no nap police here!
Old 08-31-2011, 02:50 PM

My DH always tells me to sleep when I need it since I don't sleep well at night. I try not to nap during the day, but sometimes I just have to sleep. So I suggest that you set the alarm or a timer and sleep for at least an hour. Things will go better if you allow your body some rest. Good luck at your appointment tomorrow. :)
Old 08-31-2011, 02:51 PM

Never too late for a nap!! Just make sure its a nap!
Old 08-31-2011, 02:51 PM

I don't think I would want to fall asleep in front of the SLEEP doctor...he's liable to tell you THATS WHY you have troubles sleeping because you nap in the day time EVEN though you don't. LOL But definately falling asleep in front of him wouldn't be a good idea.

As for the nap right now....You could take a 20 minute cat nap...ONLY 20 minutes. It will be enough to rejuvinate yourself but shouldnt be too much sleep to prevent you from hopefully sleeping tonight.

Set your alarm....have someone call you whatever it takes but NO MORE then 20 minutes. :)
Old 08-31-2011, 02:52 PM

Hang on as long as you can, Jan...then go to bed for good tonight. Take a shower, drink some water, floss and brush your teeth, go pet your fabric, so something...ANYTHING to stay up at least another hour or two!

I'm with you on the sugar slump. I've really laid off the stuff for months now, then me and the boy were out today and had a pretzel (white flour, basically sugar) and an icee (blue dye, all sugar). I thought I was gonna lose my mind! And now, I feel like I have a hangover.BLEH!
Old 08-31-2011, 02:53 PM

I went in for the over nite sleep study after a long time of not sleeping...best nite of sleep I had in months!! Doc figured I just needed a nite away from everyone! Did not wake up once all nite. Good luck with yours and I hope all is well with you also.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:54 PM

When I come home from work, after a long hour drive to get home (about 6:15). I drop! If I need a nap I take a nap. It is not an everyday nap but I still go to bed at my normal time which is about 11:15.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:09 PM

I vote for the nap! :thumbup: