Topics from years ago

Old 10-21-2021, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by PurplePansies
I think the answer to my question is some people have googled something and found this site and don't realize they're replying to years old topics.
Thanks everyone.
I have the same theory as you, PurplePansies. Very often, when somebody replies to a thread that has been inactive for years, you will see that person has very posts on the forum, indicating they are brand new to the forum (and may not think to check dates). A recent example of this is the Fiskars Rotary Cutter thread - it had been inactive since 2011, and then a person with only 1 post revived the thread by posting an answer to the original question. There's no real in harm in this, but original poster is very unlikely to see the answer that the new member was trying to help. Sometimes, the question is still relevant to people in the current times, but sometimes the question and answer are specific to equipment that hasn't been sold for a long time.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by PurplePansies
Yes, but some of the topics that I see are way past their prime. Not everything, even in quilting, stands the test of time. I think the answer to my question is some people have googled something and found this site and don't realize they're replying to years old topics.
Thanks everyone.
That's interesting. Even though threads from years ago are sometimes brought back, I've never seen any that were not relevant today. Everyone has different outlooks and opinions. New is not always the best.
Old 10-21-2021, 03:49 PM

If you notice,
1. most of them just joined, brand new to the forum.
2. They only make the one post.
3. They are never heard from again.
They are called "bots" and they are traffic generators only, they are not real people.

Now, not all the old post that are rebrought up are bots, some I know are real legit people and they correspond in different threads. I sometimes will "watch" the new person when I see this for a few days. If you click to see their other post, the "bots",or the ones I suspect are "bots", never have any other post, others will be active in several threads.