Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tornado season begins again in Oklahoma >

Tornado season begins again in Oklahoma

Tornado season begins again in Oklahoma

Old 04-02-2016, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

Something for those who have trouble going down stairs. When visiting my aunt in 6-2013, I noticed she had a slide attached to the railing going down to her basement. I asked her about it. One of her grandsons concocked the slide so she would be able to get to the basement quickly in case of a tornado. They keep a walker down in the basement so she can get to a part of her basement that closes off from the wind. It has a bed and battery operated lantern and jugs of water. She also has her canned goods. I just thought how brilliant an idea. No fear of falling down stairs seeking shelter. She's 91. It's a simple children's slide.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:16 PM

what a unique idea about the slide! It is important to have some emergency gear ready--a "go box" can be a plastic tub--have flashlights or lanterns with extra batteries (check about every 6 months), have water (figure enough for each person for 3 days), a battery operated radio, a whistle (in case you need to get some help if a house collapses, etc), PET food if you have pets, baby items if you have little ones, extra medications for those that need them, TP, food (again check frequently on this item!), a blanket (space blankets work well as lightweight and waterproof), and have things like copies of car keys, safety deposit box key, contact info for family, insurance agent and others that may need to be contacted (very important in these days of cell phones where none of us memorize # anymore). If you don't have a safety deposit box, you should keep copies of your drivers license, birth certificates, care titles, credit and debit cards, etc- copy machine copies will work to at least get you started if you loose everything---these also should be in your "go box". Its wise to also do a photo or video inventory of your home and keep a copy in your safety deposit box AND at a separate location--with a friend/family member or check with your insurance agent, many will keep these on file for you in a secure location so if you do have to file a claim and your house is destroyed, you have the inventory somewhere else. In addition to our "go box" in our tornado place in the basement (and if you don't know where your safe place is from whatever natural disaster--tornado, fire, wind damage, hurricanes, floods, earthquake,or even those in heavy snow areas, blizzards and roof collapse,etc--find that spot and make sure everyone in the household knows it), we have my Red Cross backpack with some of these items that is a "grab and go". Being prepared means not being paranoid about these things--but able to handle them if they occur.