Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tote for Electric Wheelchair Batteries?  Need pattern or purchase source. >

Tote for Electric Wheelchair Batteries? Need pattern or purchase source.

Tote for Electric Wheelchair Batteries? Need pattern or purchase source.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:47 PM

Default Tote for Electric Wheelchair Batteries? Need pattern or purchase source.

I have just begun using an electric wheelchair. I broke my other hip, so now have a titanium pair, and I have knee problems. I can walk, just not very far.

I love the electric wheelchair. However, on an airplane I am required to remove the batteries before they store the chair. There are two of them-----about 18 inches long, three inches wide, and three inches thick. They are awkward to carry around, and we must store them in the carry-on bin above our seats. Luckily I have my husband to help with these things.

So I am looking for a tote bag (or pattern for a tote bag) for these batteries. Any ideas?

I appreciate your help.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:40 AM

You might consider checking out the luggage section at your local department store. Look for child or toddler size travel bags. They may be the perfect size for your batteries & airline approved.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:37 AM

First, check with the vendor as there may be an accessory bag available. Is the 18 inch size across or the height? Can they fit in the bag on end? It may be hard to find the exact pattern size you need. Perhaps draw a pattern on paper and add in one inch for extra allowance. Add some Velcro tabs on the inside to secure the batteries in place.

If the two can be carried together, something like a wine bag with the separate sides might work also. The plastic grid canvas can be cut to size for added stability in the bag. Good luck!
Old 08-25-2019, 07:00 AM

I would look for a small backpack to make carrying them a bit easier.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:03 AM

knowing from personal experience, these batteries are very heavy and would not withstand a light weight tote. Bags designed for the weight and edges of the batteries are best checked out the vendor or chair manufacturer. The suggestion of a child's suitcase is good but the batteries must be packed carefully. the problem is possible leakage one of the reasons they must be removed from the chair while in flight. I asked all these questions the first time I was held up boarding a plane with my electric scooter. It delayed the flight for a short bit as they unloaded the batteries and then the chair for the trip.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
I would look for a small backpack to make carrying them a bit easier.
That was my first thought, just get one the correct size or a little larger.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:46 PM

I'd look for a canvas tool tote bag sort of thing - they're very sturdy and come in fairly large sizes to accommodate power tools with battery packs....