Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Traditional remedies Research >

Traditional remedies Research

Traditional remedies Research

Old 10-01-2010, 08:11 AM

Hi everyone I thought some of you guys may be able to help me?
I am doing some research on different remedies that our forefathers used successfully for a variety of ailments around the world.
I am trying to write a book on the subject and would love to hear any stories you may have and I would be happy to refer to who gave me the information.
Any ideas girls (and guys of course)
Old 10-01-2010, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

When I got the hiccups, my mother had me swallow a teaspoonful of sugar (without water). It always worked for me and others I tried it on. (You can drink water after all of the sugar has been swallowed.)

Later I saw some research that indicated this is actually an effective remedy because the grittiness of the sugar interrupts the nerve responsible for the hiccupping.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:47 AM

Dr Oz often does a segment on his show about this subject. You might pick up some information there.....
Old 10-01-2010, 08:50 AM

For cramps in your legs, a bar of Ivory soap works in seconds. Also, I've read that Vick's Vapor Rub works great on toenail fungus. I can also say the the spoon of sugar for hiccups works good.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

sugar-hmmm i use chocolate to stop hic cups. so sugar would work too i assume.
oh i ate something very hot in a restaurant once and found salt takes the heat away fast. (didn't think of sugar).
Old 10-01-2010, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
For cramps in your legs, a bar of Ivory soap works in seconds. Also, I've read that Vick's Vapor Rub works great on toenail fungus. I can also say the the spoon of sugar for hiccups works good.
What do you do with the soap?
Old 10-01-2010, 09:10 AM

My great grandmother saved my dad's life when he was three years old. He saw his grandpa chopping wood. When his grandpa left for a second, my dad tried chopping wood and split his head wide open. My great grandmother reached under the porch, grabbed a big handful of spider webs, slapped them on his head and the blood flow stopped immediately! She also made a tonic using kerosene and lemons. My dad said he didn't dare cough around her. LOL! She did make him take a dose every spring though.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:20 PM

DH taught me about boiled milk for the runs.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:32 PM

While visiting my MIL, my husband got stung by a bee on his ankle - it swelled up terribly. MIL took a brown grocery bag, soaked it in vinegar and wrapped it around husband's ankle. It took the swelling down very quickly.

My aunt used mud on bee stings.

My nephew's great grandmother gave my sister this hint for diaper rash: She took some all purpose flour and browned it in a cast iron skillet. when cooled, use it like baby powder - takes the rash away. I never used it but my sis said it really works.

My mom said when she and her sibs were little (in the '30s) my grandmother would put camphor (sp) in a piece of cloth, knot it and hang it around their necks so they would smell it all winter long. The kids never caught colds, but mom said no one wanted to play with them because they smelled. LOL

My great aunt would take a big swig of mineral oil every day to keep her regular.

If I think of more, I'll post them.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Banned

garlic powder...... for any fungus including athlete's food and jock itch also warts. get the cheapest kind and sprinkle it on

yogurt..... for yeast infections, soak a tampon in plain yogurt and insert it. rub on a baby's sore bottom most times diaper rash is from yeast. eat it for thrush/sores in the mouth.

mashed banana..........a facial

honey...... stops bleeding and heals wounds it is a natural antibiotic

orgaic apple cider vinegar...... for weight loss.

raspberry leaf tea....... for cramps

clover tea....... for kidney stones

baking soda......... for insect bites make a paste with vineger and put it on the bite. for puffy eyes, 1 tsp in a c of water soak cotton in the baking soda/water, soak eyes.

tumeric..... for swelling and to mend broken bones. put a few tablespoons in water and use it as a soak be careful it stains everything yellow.

Do you want more?????????? I only believe in natural healing. No meds used in my house except when DD was in ICU.