Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Traveling for 8 hours in a car

Traveling for 8 hours in a car

What do you do to keep busy and awake when you are a passenger?

Blog Entries
    if you really want to keep awake, put on loud music you hate like rap or something hard rock. hand sewing down a bumpy road will make you prick your finger, that will work also.

Blog Entries
    If I do anything other than look out the window, I get car sick. Most of the time I listen to audiobooks and try to sleep.

Blog Entries
    Ohhh, can't sleep in a moving car. scary to me. I must keep my eyes on the road but at times I can read. perhaps I'd take some hexagons with me and finish them individually(framed). Other than that, I'm not much for hand quilting. knitting or crochet would work be nice too.

I knit when traveling, if I tried to read I would get car sick, an like Lynne said if I tried to sew I would probably prick my finger. lOL

Talk to the driver
    Crochet
    Read
    Give in and sleep with face smashed on window
    Lisa L.
    Howdies from Possum Trot (yes it does exist)
    My most recent swap - Boomerang 16

Blog Entries
    Books on tape work great! I can't do any handwork as a passenger or I get car sick.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Lately I have been doing penny rugs in the car. Also crochet, knit, embroider (did most of my crazy quilt in the car).

Why do you need to stay awake if you are a passenger? Mr stitchnripper and I listen to recorded books from the library on long trips.

I can't sleep and wouldn't anyway. Don't think it's fair to the driver. We usually listen to an audio book and I knit or crochet.

I knit. Since my husband likes to do most of the driving, I can get a lot of knitting in.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Embroidery or hexies. I can't read or I'll get sick.

As the driver most of the time, I like it when my passenger and I can have conversation most of the way.

I have to stay awake to make sure DH is seeing all the potential hazards on the road, LOL!!! He just laughs at the running commentary coming from the passenger seat- " oh oh watch that guy, he doesn't know where he is going!" , "holy cow, what is that person doing????" , just an example of what the poor man deals with! For better or for worse, lol!

We play a game...Pick a letter....famous name...first, middle, or last...back and forth to see which one runs out first. It is so funny to see who pops in your head...some you haven't thought of in many years and the miles just roll so fast you're there before you know it.

Blog Entries
    Books on tape...YES! Also emails and anything else (games like solitaire) on iPad or iPhone. From Seattle to here is a LONG way...and many days, so it's when I learned to use the iPhone. Haven't stopped since!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Motion sickness- Should not travel.

I sometimes sleep, also agree not fair to the driver. I also knit. We don't take many road trips anymore. Traffic makes me to nervous.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nvb50 View Post
    What do you do to keep busy and awake when you are a passenger?
    We go back and forth from Ct top NC ..about 10 hour trip and I knit the american girl doll sweaters while traveling...easily get a couple of sets done in a trip...between dozing lol
    and I love audio books...hubby doesn't want to listen so i just use my ipod and earbuds

I use sea bands for traveling, prevents car sickness. Works like a charm. Although, I still have trouble reading, or anything like that. Google "sea bands" and you will be amazed at how great they work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kathdavis View Post
    Books on tape work great! I can't do any handwork as a passenger or I get car sick.
    Are you saying you can do hand work when driving?

Sorry could not resist.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

I save hand work for long trips in the car - I get a lot done in that time span. That, and I have 2 little dogs that love to come up front, too. I have an oversized bed pillow (with a plush pillow case) that I use for them. The times I'm sewing they sure get frustrated, they want up front so badly. DH prefers to drive himself -- I rarely get the wheel. Have brought books on discs, too - it entertains both of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilts rock View Post
    I have to stay awake to make sure DH is seeing all the potential hazards on the road, LOL!!! He just laughs at the running commentary coming from the passenger seat- " oh oh watch that guy, he doesn't know where he is going!" , "holy cow, what is that person doing????" , just an example of what the poor man deals with! For better or for worse, lol!
    I'm with you quilts rock!! (Can you say Hyacinth Bucket of Keeping Up Appearances. hahaha) It's also my job to notice when he starts breathing deeply (a sign that he's getting sleepy) because he can NEVER SAY he's getting sleepy.

I also enjoy watching scenery, no matter what it is. It's just so nice to get away.

I do all the driving as my DH is on meds that won't allow him to drive. He sleeps a lot while on the road. To keep myself awake, I just keep looking back & forth from the road to the mirrors. Plus sing along with my God tapes. He keeps me wide awake.

I bring books. I am going to try some handwork. When I go with DH, we also talk alot and play music - usually loaded on our iPod that we can link to the car.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast