Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Traveling in Ohio-where should we visit?

Traveling in Ohio-where should we visit?

Hello,
    We are in Ohio for seven to twelve days, from June 3rd through the 10th or so. Any gorgeous country side we should soak in, casual play houses, family restaurants, etc.?

We aren't the type to shop till we drop but we love cafes, local eateries, artisans shops and so forth. Currently we are RV camping in Geneva. We don't mind travelling out a couple of hours rather than breaking camp and losing a day of visiting. Don't be shy about suggesting areas we aren't close because we plan to each direction.

Thanks so much,
    Best, deb
    My best is the least I can do.

Holmes Cty, by all means this is Amish country great shopping and great eating.You can spend several days there,also several camps sites.

Here are a few ideas, if the links don't register live cut and paste.

The Wilds, near Zanesville www.thewilds.org/ ;

Columbus zoo, (national #1 rating) www.colszoo.org/;

Columbus Art Festival June 6-8 (280 artists flyer says nationally acclaimed) http://columbusartsfestival.org/

Tecumseh outdoor drama!,

Murals in Stubenville;

Hocking hills in Southeastern Ohio;

Hocking Valley scenic train rides http://www.hvsry.org/

Cuyahoga national park http://www.nps.gov/cuva/index.htm

Athens Dairy barn (cultural arts center for Athens) currently has art on paper display, free on Thurs evening. On odd calendar years -2015 next they have Quilt National display June-Sept (labor day) if you will be here next summer.
    www.dairybarn.org

And Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is in Cleveland.

Astabula County has at least 17 covered bridges, including a modern largest one in Astabula itself.

If you are anywhere near Oberlin Lorenzo's Pizza family owned and wonderful http://www.lorenzospizza.com/

We found this ice cream chocolate family owned shop on the way back from Cleveland Airport it was a unique shop.
    Malley's Chocolates

23473 Lorain RdNorth Olmsted OH 44070
    (440) 777-4500
    malleys.com

Last edited by starshine; 06-03-2014 at 09:57 AM.

We recently enjoyed Roscoe Village and The Warther Carving Museum. We stayed in Holmes County, and enjoyed Keim Lumber, and Miller Dry Goods.

Toledo Zoo was just rated by USA today as best in the country. It is a nice zoo, but holmes county is a beautiful part of Ohio too. The Amish and shopping, lots of bed and breakfast.
    Dyan

We've been to Berlin, OH and absolutely loved it. There are a couple of nice quilt shops there-Helping Hands is in downtown Berlin, Keim Lumber, Boyd and Wurthman Café, Swiss Valley Furniture, Walnut Creek Amish Flea Market, Kaufmann Country Bakery and a leisurely drive through the countryside to see all the Amish farms is wonderful. Loved the Amish cheese shops and their bulk food stores too.
    Karen in Kentucky

We have been to Berlin , we loved it.

Check this out if you would like to visit a unique quilt shop. I love the Door Mouse in Bettsville, Oh.
    http://www.americanvintagequilts.com...uilt-shop.html

Blog Entries
    The Air Force Museum in Dayton at Wright Patterson Air Force Base is another great place to visit. Fabric Shack in Waynesville has lots of fabric available and is also online. Enjoy your stay.
    Dreams Do Come True
    Good friends are like quilts - they age with you, yet never lose their warmth.

Blog Entries
    just for curiosity you could visit the corporate offices of Joannes.... in the cities of Hudson and spreads over into Twinsville if I remember correctly (6 years ago). It is huge and has several 'front' doors ...the one for fabric,etc. and for the craft sales (commissioned) are on the Hudson side of the building/warehouse..... .or it could someday be an aircraft hanger for space shuttles or the international space station it is that huge and all one story, as I remember, and there was huge parking lot that appeared to go all around the building

Go to Hartsville, OH and eat at the Amish cafeteria and visit the largest hardware store in North America. There is a house built inside. It's not too far from the Football Hall of Fame. There's also a big antique store off the interstate.

Holmes County, definitely. That is where I had mashed potatoes, noodles, chicken and gravy for the first time....oh my goodness gracious!

Cottonpickers Quilt Shop in Chardon and not too far from Geneva. Ohio City in Cleveland has the Westside Market which is fun to visit........... Also has nice little restaurants. Visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and you will also see beautiful Lake Erie. Chagrin Falls, of course. ......... A touch of New England in northeast Ohio! And you can see our waterfalls and visit any of the little shops, eat at Dave's Cosmic Subs and have a real experience. Enjoy our state where the weather changes every hour. Also Olmsted Falls has, I think , Pacific or Union Junction.....neat tearoom called Clementines, Abigayles Quiltery and other little shops. Cedar Point if you are not too old for roller coasters. It has gotten pricey but is fun to walk around in the evening.
    Last edited by skaduzy; 06-04-2014 at 12:39 PM.
    Sew many Quilts.......so little time!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KyKaren1949 View Post
    We've been to Berlin, OH and absolutely loved it. There are a couple of nice quilt shops there-Helping Hands is in downtown Berlin, Keim Lumber, Boyd and Wurthman Café, Swiss Valley Furniture, Walnut Creek Amish Flea Market, Kaufmann Country Bakery and a leisurely drive through the countryside to see all the Amish farms is wonderful. Loved the Amish cheese shops and their bulk food stores too.
    Dont miss Zinks

Blog Entries
    Fabric Shack is in southern Ohio. Nearby is Caesars creek state park. Waynesville is a cute little town with antique shops.

OK, I'm an Ohio native, from the NE corner of the state. Many of these places I've never seen, and some I others not since childhood. You all are making me want to go "home" and explore again. Most of my trips for the past 30 years have been quick ones with only time to see family. Not much family left there anymore...

Football Hall of Fame in Canton. And the building built like a picnic basket...Can't think of it right now. Longaberger...that is it...near Dresden

Reading all these makes me want to go back to Ohio for a week or two!

Football Hall of Fame , just my two cents.....

If you go to Hartville, be sure to go to Maize Valley Winery. Good food and wine, always something going on. Hartville has lots of interesting shops and a flea market.

Also Hartville has a large flea market on Mondays and Thursdays.

I live about 30 minutes from Holmes County. I guess I just take it for granted. Now that school is out, I'll probably visit various places in that area at least once per week. Some places that I like to visit that haven't been mentioned are: grandma Fannie's quilt barn, Lonestar Quilt Shop, "little" Lehman's hardware store in Mt. Hope, Country Craft Cupboard (filled with sewing, purse, and wool patterns and supplies), Ashery bulk food store, miller's bakery ( just past Hershberger's where the goats are on the roof of the barn), Sol's Craft Emporium, the "real amish" store that caters to amish, not tourists (next to the blue water tower in Berlin), amish country peddler, and of course the ones already mentioned : millers dry goods, helping hands quilt shop....lunch at Boyd and wurthman....The only place I can't bring myself to recommend is Zinck's. I had a bad experience there once. The owner was interviewing a young girl for a position at one of his businesses and was so loud and asked such inappropriate questions I was appalled. That girl should have walked out on him. She didn't, but I did and haven't gone back.

We stopped at the Door Mouse on a shop hop and it was the only shop we really had to see. Amazing.

If you are in Geneva, there are great wineries all around Ashtabula County! And some of them have great food. If you stop into Virant's Family Winery, tell Papa that RJ and Jen said "Hello"!!
    Mom to 2 Future Stitchers....Wife to One Great Hubby!
    "Once A Phi Sigma Sigma, Always A Phi Sigma Sigma!"

Whigrose, after your trip, why don't you post the places you were able to visit and let us know about your experience? Love to hear about it.
    There are some places on here I haven't been yet, even though Holmes county is on my list I have yet to make it there-I think I need to put it on the calendar in pen.
    I have seen a few different people on this site comment on The Door Mouse in different topics, I must get there someday too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast