Trick or Treat

Old 10-31-2010, 07:54 AM

Well I guess I'm the odd one out here, I just love the trick-or-treaters & yes we live in a subdivision that has sidewalks and lights, so many people drive their kids in. As long as the older ones dress-up I think it's a fun way for them to be spending their time, instead of out doing something destructive. We don't buy candy at any other time of the year, so one big splurge to share with them, isn't going to break the bank at my end. Fireworks are another matter, they're illegal in our community, but the fire/police depts. aren't very successful at enforcing the bylaw.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:24 AM

I love tick or treating....I think it's a great for the kids to get out(as long as they are being watched carefully). We live in a very small town now and alot of the parents just "let their kids go". I think that's wrong, I don't care who you are, where you are, you need to be watching your kids at all times. My oldest daughter is in youth group and the church is against halloween so they take them every year on the weekend of halloween to a youth convention. They do projects and get a whole bunch of kids together and take them shopping afterwards. My daughter spends half the year earning and saving money for this and would never turn it down just to go trick or treating. My two smaller ones love going though.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:35 AM

I do love to see the kids all dressed up, and I don't care how old they are as long as they are in costume and polite. Unfortunately we don't usually get more than a dozen on our street. No sidewalks and no street lights.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:59 AM

We live in a fairly small town. Our neighborhood is well lit but most of the town is not. When we have good weather (like today), we average around 200 - 250 kids. Most people on the other side of town say they only get about a dozen kids at the most. If it is nice out, I just sit on the steps to pass out the candy so I don't have to worry about kids tripping on their costumes trying to get up and down the steps. They start about 5:00 and I usually turn my light out about 8:30.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Loris
Living in Australia I have just been caught with Trick or Treat - a bit of a surprise as I wasnt expecting it. Has anyone else had them yet
:lol:
That's strange...I would have thought you would have halloween night in Australia as it's 'history' and origination is England! So it seems logical that you'd have a version of it there as well. Next year you'll be better prepared.
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 10-31-2010, 09:17 AM

My SILs neighborhood did trick-or-treating last night. I guess the one good thing about it being on a Sunday night (and tomorrow being a school day) is that there will not be so much mayhem from the older kids tonight. Last year, we had trick-or-treaters (the older kind) still out past ten. I take my kids around 5:30PM and we are done by 6:30PM. I only go up the street and down the other side. That is IT! We will probably give out candy after that until about 8PM. I only give one piece to the older kids. I think there should be a "rule" about kids over the age of 13 still trick-or-treating. We get high schoolers all the time.

Today, my dh is deploying. We are heading off to the airport in a few minutes to say good-bye. I am glad trick-or-treating will help to take the kids' minds off their daddy leaving.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:47 AM

We live in a neighbor hood of smaller houses, close together. Every Halloween we get carloads of kids dumped here to trick or treat while Mom or Dad drives the car slowly down the street as kids run back and forth across the street to grab treats. Just waiting for someone to be injured. If I know the kids they get a handful of candy - if they're one of the "outsiders", sorry, one piece of candy.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:25 PM

In 8 years I've had 2 lots. Some 7-9 year olds about 5 years ago, and last night four girls all in black, with black make-up and aged about 18-19 turned up just after 9.30 (the neighbourhood dogs had been going mad since 7.30). The 7-9 year olds got apples as I didn't have any sweets in the house (never had trick or treaters before),and the girls got nothing. Apart from coming after 9.30, and having "trick or treat" yelled in my face as soon as I opened the door, I felt they were too old to be going around. They didn't seem to have collected much either.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:06 AM

We had 3 or 4 lots of local kids last night. Last year we had none..the year before a couple of lots. We had a few lollies just in case. The first time we had nothing either as it just wasn't done here