Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: trip to Wisconsin

Blog Entries

trip to Wisconsin

We are planning a trip to Wisconsin and I was wondering if anyone has any sugesstion about quilt shop or quilt shows along the way. I would like to see as many as possiable from WA state to Wisc. Also if you know of any tractor museums My hubby is into antiques tractors. Also where is the best places to see some quilts on barns?
    Any information would be great.
    Thanks Dixie
    dlprecisionquilting.com

There is a great shop in Onalaska called Olive Juice. Lots of antique shops in LaCrosse, but I don't know about any tractor museums.

Pat in MN

There is a guy south of Forest Junction, WI who has 700 tractors. However, I don't know his name or phone number. I don't know if it is "open" or not. Try a google search. what route are you taking through WI? I can give you quilt shop names if I know what roads you are taking.

Blog Entries
    We want to stay off the freeways as much as possiable and try to see as many little towns and shops along the way.
    dlprecisionquilting.com

Blog Entries
    We are trying to take back roads as much as possiable to see small towns and tractors. This is to celebrate our 50th wedding annivarsay.
    dlprecisionquilting.com

Check out Nancy's Notions in Beaver Dam, Wi. (Nancy Zieman from Sewing with Nancy.)

When are you planning your trip? The Rock County Thresheree is held in Edgerton, WI on labor day weekend I think...they have antique tractors displayed there.
    ​~I

I live on the north side of hwy 8 in what they call the "northwoods" There is a tiny quilt shop in a town called Ladysmith, unfortunately a lot of the ma owned shops haven't survived. Wolf and hyper have been up here a lot longer than I have so they might know of more up here. Hope you enjoy it. If you get anywhere near Bayfield check it out, it is right on lake Superior,(sp) it has lots of shops (no quilting) and is just a really pretty place to visit.
    Cindy

Sept 5, 6, &7 is the Quilting Expo in Madison, WI

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by decky View Post
    There is a great shop in Onalaska called Olive Juice. Lots of antique shops in LaCrosse, but I don't know about any tractor museums.

Pat in MN
    I second this!! Olive Juice Quilts is one of the most helpful, friendly, and best shops around. Featured shop in Quilt Sampler 2012. The first Thursday of every month is 20% of fabrics-ask for one of their bags to get the discount. They have a beautiful array of fabrics from the top designers. And, they cut fabric straight! Babylock and Bernina dealer.

Another shop is in La Crosse, about 10 mi away. River Road Quilts. They too are very friendly and helpful. Prairie du Chein has a couple, which is south of La Crosse along the river. One of the shops has some of the best chocolate around.

Nancys Notions in Beaver Dam is having their traditional Sewing Weekend May 2,3, and 4. Many seminars with top names in the field, including Eleanor Burns and Nancy herself. Fun weekend and fantastic deals!

If you get a chance, visit the Cashton area. It is a beautiful area, with many Amish shops with quilts etc. Down a Country Road can be googled for info.

I live 8 miles north of Illinois border near small town of Clinton which has a very cute quilt store called Twin Turtles. From there you could travel about 10 miles and hit Life's a Stitch Quilt shop--it has barn quilts all over the outside barns. Then you could hit highway 26 going north (smallish road) and see one of my favorite quilts shops in Milton (Loose Threads) She has barn quilts all over her shop. Along that highway you could make detours to Whitewater (Woodland Quilts) and Fort Atkinson (Quilt Patch) and back on highway 26 about 15 miles past Milton you would hit Tea and Textiles in Jefferson. Some of these stores are closed on Mondays and I think the one in Whitewater is closed Thursday morning. If you search southern wisconsin quilt stores there are dozens more within an hour of highway 26 including a great one in Waunakee. The ones I mentioned are all off of a smaller highway instead of the dreaded I 90/39 which is busy, busy, busy. If you would like more names of stores pm me--I know them all. There are barn quilts all over here to reflect all the quilters who reside in the small towns and farms of southern wisconsin. If you visit Twin Turtle Quilts in Clinton be sure to cross the street and have a piece of pie at the Clinton Kitchen--they bake 15 pies everyday.

Follow the Mississippi river up there is some beautiful country, shops and a great toy/car/everything museum in Fountain City. I live in Rhinelander (Northwoods) and love to take side trips around the state. Check out Tractordata.com or farmcollector.com for tractor shows. There are lots of them! I agree with all the other posters about the quilt shops, so many great ones all over the state, that part should be easy!

If you get to Milwaukee, go to Patched Works. It is in Elm Grove, a suburb west of Milwaukee on Watertown Plank Road. They have nothing but quilting fabric and a lot of batiks. They are very knowledgeable about their fabrics and techniques and have tools, batting, and many related quilting items. They have a web site, just Google Patched Works for address and hours. There is another shop, Coins and Quilts, but I have not been there. It is south west of the city, and people say it is great. Another idea is in Oconomowoc, where there is a Ben Franklin store that has a lot of fabric as well. Good Hunting!

The best area we have found for barn quilts has been Shawano area and county... http://www.shawanocountry.com/resour...tions20133.pdf
    This is a link to a map for all 189 of them and they also give a link to Gresham area ones...most are on quaint little farms... beautiful tour to take. My hubby and I did the tour and he even enjoyed it very much.
    Faye

Blog Entries
    I don't know what town, but I believe that Kaye Woods is located in Wisconsin. From the distance that you will be traveling you will have tons of places to stop at......bring lots of money. When you go, have a wonderful trip, see lots of tractors and buy lots of fabric, most of all travel safely.

Primitive Gatherings - one of my favorites.

One of my favorite shops in Wisconsin is the Ben Franklin in Oconomowoc. The above posts about the quilt shops in La Crosse are true. Both shops are neat. Very different ambiance in the 2 stores. Great, helpful people in both stores.

There are LOTS of great shops in Wisconsin...do you have an area you know you are going for sure? Or what route? I have heard that Wisconsin has the most quilt shops per capita of any state in the country. I am in the Fox Valley area, and we have 6, and Green Bay to the north has 5.

There are also a lot of barn quilts in Wisconsin. I know there is a website that has a list of states with barn quilts. They are really becoming popular, and people are now starting to put them on their houses also.

Belleville and Monticello have nice shops--Belleville is award winning. Quintessential in Baraboo--maybe? You can find them on the net. Mill House in Waunakee.

We have many great shops...my favorite is Pins N Needles in St Croix Falls on the western edge. If your in the state June 7 - 29 we have the Wisconsin Shop Hop which will be great fun too.

I live in southern Wisconsin and there are several quilt shops in my neck of the woods. Quilters Compass is in Monticello and Patches and Petals is in Belleville. Also Mill House in Waunakee is a quilt shop. Just google for directions.

Oops, I forgot to mention that Green County (South Central Wisconsin) is big into the barn quilt project. A lot of the barns in the county have barn quilts. Here is the link to the site: http://www.greencountybarnquilts.com/

Have you looked at the Quilters' Travel Companion? (http://quilterstravelcompanion.com/) A friend of mine bought one and it seemed fairly extensive. This might help you find shops along the way. I know some quilt stores sell them.

Here are few that I've been to:

Stitcher's Crossing - Madison
    Quilt Essentials - Oshkosh (Nice batik selection)
    Going to Pieces Quilt Co. - Appleton
    Keep Me In Stitches - Appleton
    Sew 'n Sew - Appleton & Waupaca
    Piece by Piece - Appleton
    Mill House Quilts - Waunakee
    JJ Stitches - Sun Prairie (Focuses on Civil War and 1930's fabric - just outside of Madison)
    Material Matters - Thiensville
    Bungalow Quilting and Yarn - Ripon
    Pamella's Place - Genesse Depot

A friend and I usually go on our own Appleton shop hop, although I will say it has been more than a year since we've last been.

There is one in Endeavor, WI called Homespun Fabrics. I've never been to it, but would like to someday. They have been at some of the quilt shows.

If you are purposely heading to a shop, you might want to call ahead to make sure they are in business and to check their hours! I hope you have a safe journey and have lots of fun!

We have friends in the Sauk City/Prairie du Sac area, so we go right through Lacrosse. Now if I could just convince DH to do a little side trip next time...and I take a sewing machine along with me when we go, because our friends know that's what I do...and sometimes I end up hemming new jeans for our friend...he can never find jeans short enough, and I'm only too happy to help out!
    When someone mentions quilting, I go to pieces!

Quote Originally Posted by cindy4857 View Post
    I live on the north side of hwy 8 in what they call the "northwoods" There is a tiny quilt shop in a town called Ladysmith, unfortunately a lot of the ma owned shops haven't survived. Wolf and hyper have been up here a lot longer than I have so they might know of more up here. Hope you enjoy it. If you get anywhere near Bayfield check it out, it is right on lake Superior,(sp) it has lots of shops (no quilting) and is just a really pretty place to visit.
    There is a lovely little quilt shop in Bayfield. It was in the statewide quilt shop hop last yr. They also have a website & I get the occasional newsletter too. It's called the Orchard's Edge Quilt shop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast