Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trying to outsmart the cat

Quote Originally Posted by Nanaquilts44 View Post
    Sounds like she wants to be your helper! The only thing I can think of is keeping her in another room while you work on your quilting.
    I agree, she just wants your attention, my cat used to do that with my school books, sounds like a mischievous cat, she is just curious what you are doing. My cat just watches me sew, but she does sit on my fabric, but stays away from my pins and machine. Also how have you reacted when she plays with those things if you don't scold her, she thinks it okay, my cat knows what she can and can't get away with

My cat, Eddie, has me trained to work around him! He does like to "un-thread" my serger! He likes to take small items such as pencils/pens/earrings and put them behind the couch. At least I know where to look for them! I did convince him not to get so close to the iron!!! Yep, a few singed tail hairs! It took me 6 months to train him to lay down on command so I could see the computer monitor over him. They truly "dance to different music"!

Our Meez just draped herself around your neck. She is declawed in the front, but the hind claws are deadly. I have to cover the serger or she makes like a thread cutter and goes "chomp."

The Snowshoe has to jump up on the cutting table to see what you are doing, and the Fluffbutt hogs all the chairs and dispenses fluff.

My cat Roscoe wants attention from me all the time. Some days I am unable to sew, as he comes into my sewing room, and lays down on whatever I am cutting out, or in front of the sewing machine. I usually just unplug everything and leave the area. My fault, I've spoiled him and love him dearly. Cats love the energy from handcrafted items., and will claim any quilt I have finished. Laying down on them as if to say "It's MINE"...

I have several cats and at least one of them does the same things as yours. I also have a gd that pulls out the pins. My answer to that problem is "Wonder Clips" or hair clips. As for wanting to help you sew I use a fine mist spray bottle with water and it seems to discourage her and my dogs. The only other advice I can share is to teach her to sew. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by bluteddi View Post
    I created a " quilt" just for Zipster...... and told him he was NOT to get on that blanket... ( just like a kid.. does exactly what he is told NOT to do!) he is like a dog really....
    I did that with my cat too, only problem is once it's done he's not interested in it. he only wants to play with it when I laying out the blocks or sewing.

My cat would "get into stuff" her whole life when she was bored or wanted attention. She somehow knew when I was sewing a large piece or pulling things out of the closet - that was her clue to run to the back of the closet. I would close the door if you can and if not, just be dilligent with the mentioned dangers.

I also had a cat who loved the TV remote. If the remote was on the couch she would run over to it and BOUNCE HER BOTTOM ON THE REMOTE TO CHANGE THE CHANNELS. This was the only thing she would do that was fun. She loved to change the channels. When the remote finally gave out the new remote was not that touchy and she never did it again. It would have been easier to use her paw but not her. She is in kitty heaven now and every time I pick up a remote I would think of her.
    sewinglady

Blog Entries
    remember thread is dangerous to animals. cats tongues are rough and the thread goes down their throats before you know it. it can cut their insides. while cute, it should be kept away from them. you may have to just put things away if you can't sew in a room with a door. good luck on that!!

This may be simple, but put the cat in another room and shut the door until you're finished.
    Just a thought.
    Claudia

My baby girl (avatar) likes to help me sew. First she inspects the machine to make sure Ihave the right foot on..checks the pins ( I take them away) then I put a bit of what ever I am working on on the bed and she will curl up on it and sleep. If I have some laid out on the bed, she goes over and picks up a few to check for accuracy. then back to sleep.

Blog Entries
    I think the sister of your rabble rouser lives with me and the only advice I have is DO NOT put that rowdy varmint in the bathroom --- I'm still finding scraps and hair ties 3 days later. and she figured out how to get under the quilted cover to surprise me.I must say she keeps me laughing so I named her -
    ' DITTER'

"When ours won't behave I spray them with water. Works on dogs and cats alike. After a few spritzers, now I only need to pick up the spray bottle and they stop."

This didn't work with my cat. He didn't like it at first,but after a few times getting sprayed he changed his mind. He would literally close his eyes and open his mouth!! He loved to be around when I was sewing. Too many things moving around to interest him.
    I never found any way to keep him out short of shutting the door and listening to him cry.......
    I quilt, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    That sounds like my Lily - She's my avatar picture. I just keep picking her up and moving her and after 2 or 3 times, she figures out that she needs to find something else to do. I made her a basket of fabric scraps to lay on and she often will nap in it when I am sewing. Please be careful with your cats getting thread! They will try to swallow it and it can wreak havoc in their intestines and can be fatal. My Gertie got a hold of the thread in my Yo Yo basket that I keep by the couch. She had swallowed a large amount of it. I was able to pull it out without any difficulty.
    I to think it will be much better to keep your pets OUT if they will not stop playing with your Stuff.
    and HI, to Your 'Lily' from My 'Lily'

I think 'Ditter' has a good idea! and if water won't work Add just a SMALL amount of white vinegar to the bottle! JUST enough vinegar to have a mild smell! I bet it will work wonders!

I have two small dogs and don't have a problem. The youngest will lay at my feet while I'm sewing and sleep. After awhile he gets bored so we go in the back yard and play catch for a little bit and he's happy to go take another nap. The older on who is female just lays in her bed in the den.
    Texas raised, Texas Proud

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Good Luck !! Cats are smarter than we think .. But my dog will tell you otherwise !LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    There is positively no way to outsmart a cat! They don't care if you scream..nothing bothers them. I learned long ago I live in a home totally controlled by Mr.Peach! He does exactly what he wants and when he wants. If I shut him out he cries and the foot is under the door. I personally use clips and try not to use many pins..Oh well, I do love that silly cat!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Mine likes to chase my threads but I have yet to have them go after my pins. It is gotten were It is not a good quilt unless it is "kitty tested." Did not know that about Citrus

Cats are always smart minded you may think you have out smarted them but they learn quickly. I think I would just give up lol I think she just wants to be with you and be part of what your doing. Maybe give them space at the other end of the table/desk with some soft fabric to lay on with some toys to bat around, good luck! Even my dog lays down under my table and right at the foot pedal I think he is trying to tell me something!

Blog Entries
    I had a cat a few years back that somehow played with a thread that had a sewing needle at the end.....long story short she got the thread in her mouth and the needle was swollowed. I realized something was wrong when she started spitting up blood and put two and two together......she had to undergo surgery and luckily it was just cought in time. I am super cautious when I have my sewing out . They are very curious .

My dogs and cats love the spritzer bottle. It doesn't matter what I give them to play with--fabric, batting or whatever--they want what I have. My husband says it's like living with a house full of toddlers. They hear what you're saying, but then look at you and do whatever they want to do!

I lay out a couple pieces of newspaper, and find a few "rings" from the top of juice containers we've opened. That seems to keep them interested in other things for an hour or two. . . well, until it's time to baste the quilt. I haven't figured that one out yet.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work will not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." --Henry David Thoreau

I haven't had your challenges with my puss but she does seem to love to be on my fabric when I am cutting it. Cats are so quick and I am always in fear of cutting her with the rotary cutter. When doing lots of cutting, just returning her to the floor becomes a game of on the table/off the table. I resort to either closing her in another room for a span of time or closing ME in a room to keep her little paws safe. You know cat antics are cute, but only the first time. Love those kitty helpers. My thoughts are with you.

Sounds like she needs a playmate to keep her busy. It's just a thought.
    My daughters cat likes to chew on thread, elastic, yarn you name it. A few months ago he got a hold of the thread on the sewing machine. It cost them $1,200.00 for the surgery and all. They took out 5 yards of thread. I think the more he tried to spit it out the more he ingested. I had a dog once that got a hold of my pin container. Lucky I had a cow magnet nearby and just rubbed it around his mouth.
    I don't have any better ideas then what's already been said, good luck with the kitty.
    Pam

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast